It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why doesn't everyone meditate?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 03:05 PM
link   
My question is why doesn't everyone meditate? It's one of the best things i'v ever done. It improves everything in your life, relationships, health, concentration, awareness, virtually everything you do. Because you receive cosmic energy!

please answer if you've read this.

If confused about cosmic energy click on my signature!

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 03:26 PM
link   
reply to post by XxRagingxPandaxX

Probably because of the very same reasons why everyone doesn't pray. One receives cosmic energies with or without meditation (we are constantly bombarded by them). Meditation is pretty much same as contemplation. I try to exert constant contemplation.

-v

[edit on 19-7-2010 by v01i0]

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 03:30 PM
link   
I would say because they never learned the benefits of it. Many people seem to be conditioned to think that practicing meditation is not worth their time.

reply to post by v01i0

Meditation is not the same as contemplation. That could be a type of thought meditation, but not nearly broad enough to cover the different types.

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 03:30 PM
link   
Because I feel like an idiot just sitting there. I probably don't do it right, but when I think of people who meditate this comes to mind:

[edit on 19-7-2010 by State of Mind]

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 03:31 PM
link   
Quite simply, I don't know how. I searched around a few times but never really found a real good how to guide.

If someone knows of a good guide, let me know.

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 03:36 PM
link   
reply to post by TonyClifton

click on my signature, it will be the first of 5 videos, these videos will guide you through meditation, this is what introduced me to it, and hopefully it will be the same for you, please watch all 5, they will show you how to meditate!

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 03:38 PM
link   
I've tried, but never seem to have enough peace to do it. I also get distracted very easily.

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 03:40 PM
link   

IMHO people do not meditate because the Judeo-Christian machine has basically villainized anything that actually connects you the larger reality out there. Once the larger population sees something as being wrong, the mob will almost always condemn it.

Couple that with the fact that 90% of American’s are programmed only to consume. Downtime is not a skill that they able to deal with. When you consciously shut your brain off you are subject to the real-world introducing itself to you and that is an uncomfortable feeling for most people.

It should be mandatory that once a year you spend a minimum of 7 days unplugged from technology because it takes at least 3 days to break the cycle.

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 03:43 PM
link   
There are many reason, sadly, why people, especially in the west, do not participate in actions such as these.

1. Peer pressure: People do not want to be seen by their peers to be partaking in mumbo-jumbo for fear of being labeled a 'New Age nutter'.
2. Fear: Some people have in the past pointed out that this can lead to demonic possession.
3. Lack of knowledge: Many just don't know the potential benefits
4. Time: People seem to think that just don't have any perceived spare time in their days

Such as shame on all counts.

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 03:47 PM
link   
There is a stigma attached to it. Like it's West Coast USA psychobabble or something.

I was taught it properly by an expert - and i still use the techniques to this day.

The concept of meditation has been popular for centuries, and for good reason.

It works!

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 03:48 PM
link   

I'd like to, I can sit in a full lotus position
but dont really know where to start when it comes to meditating.

It is definately something I will look into further and give it a go.

Also isnt there many forms of meditation? and which kind is best to start with?

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 03:52 PM
link   
because not everyone is the same nor should they be.

diversity of beliefs and the various practices there of are one of the few things that make humanity great. there shouldnt be one system of "enlightenment" if there even is such a thing.

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 03:57 PM
link   
When people think of meditation the first thing that comes to mind is sitting cross legged for hours. This isn't the case. Meditation is a state of mind. The opposite of concentration. Your brain goes into meditation mode when you're tired or not doing anything. Usually in this relaxed state your mind goes blank and you forget the world around you.

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 03:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Beauty_HairyBeast

Click on my signature watch all 5 of the videos this will get you started on meditation.

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 03:58 PM
link   

Click on my signature watch all 5 of the videos this will get you started on meditation!

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 04:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by XxRagingxPandaxX

Click on my signature watch all 5 of the videos this will get you started on meditation.

I will do that soon, thanks for a starting point!

edit for extreme tiredness!

[edit on 19-7-2010 by Beauty_HairyBeast]

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 04:04 PM
link   
reply to post by unityemissions

I dunno about you, but I don't consider meditation being isolating yourself from rest of the world by sitting silent on certain pose on a mat reserved specifically for sitting silent and in solitude forcing yourself thinking something or to not think anything

(Bear with me, this is not something I suppose you consider to be meditation)

I've tried various forms of "meditations", which I found most fitting to myself, is the type of meditation that one remains constantly aware of one own thoughts, feelings, impressions, emotions that world evokes in us. Constant awareness (that I occasionaly call contemplation), that's what I've found to be most useful (for me, that is). Of course, sometimes I just relax and lay in state of emptiness.

-v

[edit on 19-7-2010 by v01i0]

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 04:39 PM
link   
For some people meditation is doing things, it's not always sitting and burning incense, some people are caught up in perpetuating a certain lifestyle too busy making illusions a physical reality, but this is the beauty of the human mind, the right to choose to sit there and space out, to pray, to sit behind a sniper scope and squeeze one off at the enemy, or to sip a cup of coffee. Regards.

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 04:46 PM
link   
Most Westerners are at a severe disadvantage. I heard about a poll about it and about 5% of meditation students here in the West stick with the meditation regiment. Our Western egos are too strong for meditation to take.

But the point is not to meditate, the point is to spiritually grow. Meditation is only one way of gaining altered states of consciousness. For many of us Westerners an ayahuasca ceremony (supervised by a shaman) would probably be more beneficial than vain attempts to meditate.

[edit on 19-7-2010 by Student X]

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 04:47 PM
link   

Thank you! Great video, the tingling in my face was unexpected. My leg fell asleep about half way through and I just watched the rest after that.

Do you watch the video everytime you meditate or after watching a few times it's not needed?

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join