It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Anti-incumbent mood fuels term limit debate

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 02:48 PM
link   

Anti-incumbent mood fuels term limit debate

www.cnn.com

CNN) -- Anti-establishment candidates are capitalizing on widespread anti-incumbent fervor and proposing term limits as a way to bring the power back to the people.

Kentucky Republican Senate candidate Rand Paul said that if elected, he can't see himself serving more than two terms. In Rhode Island, Democratic congressional hopeful Bill Lynch has proposed a 12-year cap in the House and Senate. And in Maryland, Republican Andy Harris has assured voters that, should he go to the U.S. House, he'll be out of there by 2023.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 02:48 PM
link   
Well I think it's a great idea, term limits should be effective in all forms of government.

This will greatly reduce the ammount of corruption and back room deals that occur when there are fresh faces at least every 12 years.

3 terms is enough IMO. Also they should repeal the 17th amendment while they are at it, and really give power back to the people.

Thoughts?

~Keeper

www.cnn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 02:52 PM
link   
12 years is plenty of time for those back room deals to occur and as well cultivate a new face with similar motivations.

Not enough in my opinion..it's just a rhetorical band-aid...

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 02:53 PM
link   
reply to post by MemoryShock

Progress for the sake of progress?

I mean we have to start somewhere right? It's never going to get better overnight, you have the chisle away at a mountain to build the highway to the otherside.

Sure you use some dynamite, but most of it is a precision job.

~Keeper

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 03:00 PM
link   
some of these senators are well into there seventies, and have been in congress for over 40 years.most of these career politicians had there seats handed to them after they were groomed by the previous senator who is ready to retire . thus continueing the same agenda and thought process.a thought process and an agenda that has ratified law for perhaps the last 80 years (possibly longer). noone notices, cares or remembers that these are the people who pass the federal reserve act, offered us the new deal , passed social security, signed NAFTA ,patriot act and the health care reform among other things,it happens on both sides of the aisle .this is a major problem that continues to fly right under the radar of most people.We need to end career politicians and legislate for Term limits in the house and senate

unfortunatley if you are even thought about being nominated by either party you must prove to them that you are willing to do what is needed by the establishment ..in otherwords they want to make sure you " play ball " so in reality you are only voting for someone whom one of the parties already pretty much control, alot of this is done in back room deals some through "political blackmail " once these guys are "currupted" they are no longer working for us.the longer these politicians sit the more "favors" or "debts" they have to honor, when one person builds up alot of these "favors" and uses them to force through agendas they become dangerous. term limits is a way to interupt the "pass my chair on " mentality and force them to have to restart this process and make sure one man isnt sitting in a seat collecting favors for 40 years. "

excuse the typos.

~meathead

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 03:12 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

I agree that it is needed, and I think 12 years is too long!

I think we need to revamp the whole thing. Elections are much easier now than they used to be, so we don't need long 6 year terms for Senators. Also, we don't need them campaigning all the time.

I propose House and Senate get 4 year terms with 2 term limitation, just like the President. We could vote for them in the off years of the Presidential election to provide some continuity of Government. We could eliminate some of the campaigning, we could get fresh faces, and we could get poor choices out of there faster!

I think term-limits should go all the way from President to City Council. "Politician" should not be a career! It should be a public service and a duty you perform away from your normal job. It should be treated like military service, and us folks with regular jobs should have mandated job protection if we choose to go serve a term in the government! We would get a lot more high morality and proven leaders from the work force this way! I would gladly take off 6 months from my job and serve a term in the House, or the State House, or even my County Commission, but I have no desire to be a Politician, and I can't afford to quit my job for a "temporary" job in politics.

Term Limits. Job Protection for Public Service. Reform the Campaign Reform. Then we are making some real progress!

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 03:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by MemoryShock
12 years is plenty of time for those back room deals to occur and as well cultivate a new face with similar motivations.

Not enough in my opinion..it's just a rhetorical band-aid...

I totally agree with that.
12 yrs is still too long.
Make it 4 or 6
and you will have my support

top topics

join