It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mystery trader buys all Europes cocoa

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 02:08 PM
link   
reply to post by zroth

That is nothing, really.

Annual production is in excess of 3 million tons.
Source
The Hunts tried this in the 70's with silver. They went to prison.

Tony Wade is a trader who wants some quick cash and a good return on his "investment."

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 02:15 PM
link   
With the recent £11.9 billion sale of "Cadbury's" 5 months ago to an american company, I wouldn't be surprised if this is a prelude to future "Chocolate Wars" and the new owners (Kraft...the plastic cheese company) are trying to secure assets and push the price up for anyone else.

Here's a link to an article about the Cadbury's heiress who is starting her own brand in response to the takeover:

Cadbury's heiress sells £27m country estate to launch her own rival chocolate company

Read more:
www.dailymail.co.uk...

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 02:31 PM
link   
Of course there are many people (like myself) who are virtually addicted to chocolate - it has been linked to serotonin levels, so it has a "feelgood" factor, see www.healthypeople.com...

According to this website, chocolate addiction is a good thing, but then they would say that, wouldn't they?
www.chocolate.org...

With so many people potentially addicted, it seems like a very good product to corner the market in, and drive up costs.

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 02:34 PM
link   
The answer is simple as to why.
There will be a virus released and the only cure or method of detox will be chocolate or raw cacao.
I was right all along, chocolate "could" save the world.

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 02:43 PM
link   
reply to post by MemoryShock

Its the problem with the way the markets currently work. As they are, they arent designed to reflect conditions, but rather to allow the super wealthy to create conditions.

A free market was designed to promote excellence and create value, this market is designed to allow those who contribute nothing of value, to skim value from those who do.

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 07:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Illusionsaregrander

I think the common name for these individuals is "parasite".

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 08:40 PM
link   
reply to post by nerbot

I think their name is criminal. No one should be allowed to become wealthy without doing anything for it.

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 04:08 PM
link   
reply to post by zroth

Not sure I understand you're reasoning...

Put it this way, if you saw someone selling something for $1, but you knew someone who would buy it for $2, would you

1. Buy the product for $1, sell it for $2 and make a profit?
  2. Introduce person A with person B and stay out the deal?

Nothing wrong with option 1 and most people would do it. Option 2 is really only going to be done by tree huggers and left-wing hippies, if we're honest.

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 04:23 PM
link   
Well they have said that Chocolate is going to sky rocket during Christmas so i guess someone is doing what he knows best.

posted on Dec, 21 2010 @ 10:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by Maxmars
Why do I find myself fearing that we're destined for a cocoa shortage?

Isn't that the usual formula? Buy up the commodity, raise the price, then hold it until the industry is willing to pay another 40% to get it.... the increase is then passed on to the consumers... because we know the corporations never diminish their margin....

Now that the Ivory Coast is embroiled in a huge election/UN troop debacle... it becomes clear why someone bought up all the existing cocoa futures.... any guesses who?

posted on Dec, 21 2010 @ 10:35 AM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

You're not that far off ... to date there's no such thing as 'blood cocoa' but looking at how Barry Callebaut handles some of their dealings on the African continent maybe physical traders may require a similar Kimberley Process Certification for cocoa in the future.

posted on Dec, 21 2010 @ 10:37 AM
link   
reply to post by zroth

I am truly sorry, but I am a hormonal woman who needs chocolate for when the well unmetionable comes around, so I am stockpiling for when TSHTF...no Chocolate and I will go coocoo for cocoa puffs...then it'll be worse than WW3!!! LOL. J/k.

Really though I do think it is someone stockpiling.

posted on Dec, 21 2010 @ 10:43 AM
link   
Kinda sad that some posters are still thinking that somehow chokolate is bad for you. That simply isn't the case. If you eat lots of choklate from store you get fat and it's not the cocoa in it that does that. It's the sugar that they add to make it sweet. Cocoa in itself actually tastes horrible and not sweet at all.

posted on Dec, 21 2010 @ 11:16 AM
link   
Check it Cocoa may be in new cough medicine!
Perhaps its connected, maybe not

www.bbc.co.uk...

posted on Dec, 21 2010 @ 11:37 AM
link   
No one is getting it yet?
There is a huge turmoil in Ivory Coast, the top producer of cocoa. The US even called back all non emergency embassy staff.
That man did a smart thing buying all he can before TSHTF there.

posted on Dec, 21 2010 @ 12:04 PM
link   
I'm sure he had the inside tip.

Nowadays venture capitalism has transformed into a near sure thing with the complicity of government officials in league with local military might.

Behind every come-up, is a hustle.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join