It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mystery trader buys all Europes cocoa

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 11:03 AM
link   

Mystery trader buys all Europe

www.telegraph.co.uk

Even Willy Wonka might struggle to use this much chocolate. Yesterday, somebody bought 241,000 tonnes of cocoa beans.

Cocoa futures for July delivery jumped 1.5pc on the Liffe exchange to more than £2,588 this week Photo: Reuters The purchase was enough to move the entire global cocoa market, sending the price to the highest level since 1977, and triggering rumours and intrigue in the City.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Edit: Title

[edit on 19-7-2010 by zroth]
edit on 11-4-2011 by Maxmars because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 11:03 AM
link   
Cacao beans are one of the most nutrient rich and anti-oxidant rich item on the planet. and they don’t weigh much plus they keep for years.

There are some strange things happening these days.

I sure hope nothing is goign to hit the region where these are grown.

Why in the world would anyone buy this much organic matter?

www.telegraph.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 11:13 AM
link   
They are after Africa's supply now too it seems.

Source

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 11:26 AM
link   
Why do I find myself fearing that we're destined for a cocoa shortage?

Isn't that the usual formula? Buy up the commodity, raise the price, then hold it until the industry is willing to pay another 40% to get it.... the increase is then passed on to the consumers... because we know the corporations never diminish their margin....

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 11:40 AM
link   
I sure hope that is not the case. Cacao is one of those superfoods I like ot have around.

Of course it would be devistating if there was a shortage because people tend to self-medicate themselves with chocolate throughout the day.

Could you imagine how far prodcutivity would fall off in the western world if people didn't have their afternoon sugar fix. It isn't going to be pretty

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 11:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

Ahh let them buy it up and keep the stuff off the market for all i care.

We have too many fat people anyway, it'll do them good to have a break from stuffing choccy down their fat chops for a while.

Not exactly a staple food is it.

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 11:45 AM
link   
It's hardly a "mystery trader". I saw an article yesterday in the Mail that named the chap. Apparently this is his "thing", he trades in Cocoa and he's just done a £658 Million deal for the stuff.

Link to Mail article

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 11:59 AM
link   
Maybe there will be a shortage or even an extinction of the cocoa plant.

If that is so, this person will have the last of it all, and can sell it to people who say that they can not live without chocolate.

There are some chocolate like substances that I guess could replace chocolate, but not really. I mean, nothing really tastes like chocolate but chocolate.

I suppose if there is no more, there is no more. We will still have sweets.

What would you eat if you could not have chocolate?

I would probably eat coffee ice cream, if I could not have chocolate ice cream.

I would eat peanut butter fudge if I wanted something smooth and creamy.

There is some kind of red bean that they eat a lot of in Asian countries. I think it is called Anko paste. It doesn't really taste like chocolate, but it has a good mouth feel. I've only tried it a few times and maybe I haven't even had the good stuff. I've only had some sort of sweet bread with that in it, and this was at a restaurant. It wasn't chocolate but it was brown and had a sweet taste.

If there was no more chocolate, which flavor would you replace it with?

I also like cinnamon deserts, or apple cinnamon crumble. Sometimes I order an apple cinnamon dessert instead of getting a piece of chocolate cake.

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 12:07 PM
link   
reply to post by spikey

cocoa actually is an appetite suppressant so it would help fat people.

Eaten raw or in trail mix it is considered to be a superfood. IE a food that is nutrient rich in key compounds.

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 12:07 PM
link   
It doesn't mean there'll be any kind of shortage. The article said the price has jumped 1.5%, that's almost 10 million pounds or 20 million dollars. No doubt he'll be selling into the price spike right now.

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 12:25 PM
link   
At last proof positive that Nibiru is about to return! The Annunaki are addicted to cocoa and quite fond of smores too I hear.

If someone makes a run on Nehi Soda Pop we will know for sure!

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 12:26 PM
link   
For now I can't find the link, but read that the Aztecs used Cocoa as MONEY..
Think about that for a few minutes..

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 12:31 PM
link   
reply to post by MissysWorld

This is what drew me to the article originally. Cacao was the currency in the pre-flood Americas.

This bean is magical for the body. People on the Simple American Diet (SAD) won't agree but if you want a true mystical food experience, take a whole cacao bean, dip it in raw local honey and eat it. You'll be buzzing euphoria and won't be able to explain it to anyone that has never tried it.

Cacao Info - Currency

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 12:31 PM
link   
reply to post by mythatsabigprobe

Pretty much, probably will drive the prices for candy and everything else up a bit too. I smell a profit scheme.

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 01:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by spikey
reply to post by Maxmars

We have too many fat people anyway, it'll do them good to have a break from stuffing choccy down their fat chops for a while.

Its not the Coaco that makes people fat. its the fat and sugar added to Coaco... among other foods, hambergers, ketchup, fries

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 01:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by spikey
reply to post by Maxmars

Its not the Coaco that makes people fat. its the fat and sugar added to Coaco... among other foods, hambergers, ketchup, fries

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 01:32 PM
link   
Couldn't this be considered market manipulation?

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 01:37 PM
link   
reply to post by MemoryShock

I do think that is what it is but I am not well versed in the globalized commodity business.

Is there a law against owning all of one thing?

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 01:38 PM
link   
reply to post by zroth

As jeopardy of world wide disaster increases, you will see more of this behavior in the commodity markets. Imagine you have it on good authority that no more gasoline will be produced for several years, and that no-one else with enough financial power knows this. You buy up all the remaining gasoline. Therefore, after all supplies (other than yours) are depleted, you name your own price. This an similar happenings should be viewed as red flags.

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 02:06 PM
link   
reply to post by zroth

No, there's no law against it, but he doesn't own all of the thing. He just bought up what was on the market in Europe that day. He didn't go to all the other markets and buy that Cocoa up too.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join