It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

China seals key port after major oil spill

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 10:02 AM
link   

China seals key port after major oil spill

www.msnbc.msn.com

BEIJING — One of China's biggest ports shut Monday after an pipeline explosion triggered a major offshore oil spill.

The aftermath of the weekend fire could add to pressure for stricter environmental standards in China, already reeling from a toxic copper mine leak in the south of the country which burst into headlines last week amid accusations of a cover-up.

The fire began on Friday while a crude oil tanker was being off-loaded in Dalian.

Nobody was hurt, but hundreds of firefighters battled flames for more than 15 hours, and state media said about 1476 tons of oil had spilled i
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 10:02 AM
link   
Nobody was hurt, but hundreds of firefighters battled flames for more than 15 hours, and state media said about 1476 tons of oil had spilled into the sea, causing a 71 square mile slick.

The clean-up operation may take five days, officials said.

Industry sources are divided on how long the port will stay shut, with some estimating between seven and more than 10 days, but officials could not give a timeframe.

Even though this is not on the same scale as the BP spill, I wonder how the markets are going to react with the news of this spill and the BP 'seep'. This port is a major oil area for China, and to be closed for up to a week, it has to have some kind of implications on the price of oil.

www.msnbc.msn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 10:06 AM
link   
Terraforming process I hopes not??????????
2nd

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 10:07 AM
link   
It is obvious that Oil companies everywhere are out of control.

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 10:07 AM
link   
China are going to be punished with sanctions and whatnot, Although theres is minute compared to the BP atrocity, Id imagine that this was an accident... Whereas BP...

Mother earth is gonna want to chuck us off soon

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 10:08 AM
link   
reply to post by Ophiuchus 13

Terraforming us into a world of Oil Oceans? Yeah, that is not a good thought.

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 10:09 AM
link   
reply to post by GW8UK

This being reported as an accident, but the Chinese officials in the article are asking the same question,' Who is responsible for the clean-up?'.

And yeah, Mother Earth has got to be getting really pissed off nowadays.

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 10:22 AM
link   
The other thing that bothers me about this article is that this event took place on Friday. Today is Monday. I watched the MSM several times over the weekend, and they did not mention this at all. They talked about the train accident in India, and Politics. Last night, there was minimal talk about the BP Spill as well, on all of the major networks, when this concept of the BP 'seep' is a very important news story.

Big Brother controls the minds of the people through the news, yet again!

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 10:22 AM
link   
this is certainly becoming quite the trend lately.
several gasoline, natural gas, and oil companies all having explosions and serious issues at their facilities.
And all within the last 8 months,
Hmmm

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 10:27 AM
link   
reply to post by lasertaglover

To add conspiracy to it, FOR WHO???????????
2ND

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 10:37 AM
link   

I have no idea 'who'.

But I would really like to know 'why'?

To keep a financial panic from happening? I could see that being possible in relation to the China spill and the BP 'seeps'.

But to not talk much about the seeps over the weekend, is that to prevent panic. What are they hiding?

WHY?

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 08:30 PM
link   

My friend this could be terra forming in progress before our eyes. The stages are being set before us at a hastening rate.

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 08:32 PM
link   
reply to post by BlessedLore

But terraforming to what? What could they possibly hope for with oil filled oceans? A dead planet?

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 08:55 PM
link   
Terraforming into a methane rich planet... Oh my this in all reality is the worst news to go to bed on. If china says 1,400 or so it probably millions, if I wasnt exhausted and sick from the Gulf winds and toxic rain I would rush down and fill up all my tanks...

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 09:01 PM
link   
Ah yes, but here my friends is the difference, and what a difference indeed, China will find out "who" was responsible, and "execute" them, and "therein lie's the rub"......

posted on Jul, 20 2010 @ 02:43 PM
link   
After reading the latest below, two thoughts come to mind: 1) I guess it does not matter if the country is democratic or communist in regards to hiding the truth and 2) Why aren't we also using the oil-eating bacterie that they mention at the end of the article instead of Corexit?

By CARA ANNA, Associated Press Writer Cara Anna, Associated Press Writer – 2 hrs 21 mins ago
BEIJING – China rushed to keep an oil spill from reaching international waters Tuesday, while an environmental group tried to assess if the country's largest reported spill was worse than has been disclosed.

Crude oil started pouring into the Yellow Sea off a busy northeastern port after a pipeline exploded late last week, sparking a massive 15-hour fire. The government says the slick has spread across a 70-square-mile (180-square-kilometer) stretch of ocean.

Images of 100-foot-high (30-meter-high) flames shooting up near part of China's strategic oil reserves drew the immediate attention of President Hu Jintao and other top leaders. Now the challenge is cleaning up the greasy brown plume floating off the shores of Dalian, once named China's most livable city.

The environmental group, Greenpeace China, shot several photographs at the scene Tuesday before their team was forced to leave. They showed oil-slicked rocky beaches, a man covered in thick black sludge up to his cheekbones, and workers carrying a colleague covered in oil away from the scene. His condition was not known.

Activists said it was too early to tell what impact the pollution might have on marine life.

In a stroke of awkward timing, meanwhile, Dalian's International Beach Culture Festival, which draws thousands of tourists every year, started over the weekend, but the state-run Xinhua News Agency said waters around the beach had not been affected by the slick.

Officials told Xinhua they did not yet know how much oil had leaked, but China Central Television reported that no more pollution, including oil and firefighting chemicals, had entered the sea Tuesday. It was not clear how far the spill was from China's closest neighbor in the region, North Korea.

Dalian's vice mayor, Dai Yulin, told Xinhua that 40 specialized oil-control boats would be on the scene by Tuesday evening, along with hundreds of fishing boats. Oil-eating bacteria were also being used in the cleanup.

posted on Jul, 20 2010 @ 03:56 PM
link   
As far as environmental disasters go, I think this is/was probably well over-shadowed in China by their current flooding crisis, which is on a gigantic scale, and now is involving their Three Gorges complex, also arguably a much bigger environmental controversy in China. Although as they mention, there has also been that story about the copper pollution/cover-up, and ANOTHER milk tainting story. Perhaps there is a growing general momentum to protect China better from environmental hazards?

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 07:04 AM
link   
New Update:

Official: 'Severe threat' as China oil spill grows

By CARA ANNA, Associated Press Writer Cara Anna, Associated Press Writer – 2 hrs 28 mins ago

BEIJING – China's largest reported oil spill more than doubled in size to 165 sq. miles (430 sq. kilometers) by Wednesday, forcing nearby beaches to close and prompting one official to warn of a "severe threat" to sea life and water quality.

The oil slick started spreading five days ago when a pipeline at a busy northeastern port exploded, sparking a massive fire that took more than 15 hours to contain. Hundreds of boats have been deployed to help with the cleanup.

At least one person has been killed in those efforts, a 25-year-old firefighter, Zhang Liang, who drowned Tuesday after a wave threw him from a vessel and pushed him out to sea, the state-run Xinhua News Agency reported. Another man who also fell in was rescued.

Beaches near Dalian, once named China's most livable city, were closing as oil started reaching their shores, Xinhua reported.

"The oil spill will pose a severe threat to marine animals, and water quality, and the sea birds," Huang Yong, deputy bureau chief for Dalian, China Maritime Safety Administration, told Dragon TV.

The environmental group Greenpeace China released several photographs this week showing oil-slicked rocky beaches, a man covered in thick black sludge up to his cheekbones. One worker, covered in oil, was being carried away by a colleague, but he was not identified.

The amount of oil spilled in the explosion was still not clear Wednesday, though China Central Television earlier reported an estimate of 1,500 tons. That would amount roughly to 400,000 gallons (1,500,000 liters) — as compared with 94 million to 184 million gallons in the BP oil spill off the U.S. coast.

State Oceanic Administration released the latest size of the contaminated area in a statement Tuesday.

Though the slick has continued to expand — it covered a 70-sq.-mile (180-sq.-kilometer) stretch earlier this week — officials maintain no more oil was leaking into the Yellow Sea.

The cause of the blast was still not clear. The pipeline is owned by China National Petroleum Corp., Asia's biggest oil and gas producer by volume.

Images of 100-foot-high (30-meter-high) flames shooting up near part of China's strategic oil reserves late Friday drew the immediate attention of President Hu Jintao and other top leaders. Now the challenge is cleaning up the greasy brown plume.

"Our priority is to collect the spilled oil within five days to reduce the possibility of contaminating international waters," Dalian's vice mayor, Dai Yulin, told Xinhua on Tuesday.

But an official with the State Oceanic Administration has warned the spill will be difficult to clean up even in twice that amount of time.

The Dalian port is China's second largest for crude oil imports, and last week's spill appears to be the country's largest in recent memory.

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 07:24 AM
link   
This link here takes you to some nasty photos of a person being rescued out of the Chinese oil spill:

photoblog.msnbc.msn.com...

Talk about horrible. those pics say a lot!

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 07:38 AM
link   
The Chinese keep talking about a bacteria that they use to eat that eats the oil. Why have we not hear much about that? All we here about is COREXIT, which is very toxic!

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join