It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama gains evangelical allies on immigration

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 08:32 AM
link   

At a time when the prospects for immigration overhaul seem most dim, supporters have unleashed a secret weapon: a group of influential evangelical Christian leaders.

Their presence was a testament, in part, to the work of politically active Hispanic evangelical pastors, who have forged friendships with non-Hispanic pastors in recent years while working in coalitions to oppose abortion and same-sex marriage.

Hispanic storefront churches are popping up in strip malls, and Spanish-speaking congregations are renting space in other churches. Some pastors, like Mr. Hybels, lead churches that include growing numbers of Hispanics. Several evangelical leaders said they were convinced that Hispanics are the key to growth not only for the evangelical movement, but also for the social conservative movement.

"Hispanics are religious, family-oriented, pro-life, entrepreneurial," said the Rev. Richard D. Land

www.msnbc.msn.com...

I am against the stupid AZ bill, if you feel that is relevant or not.

But this is stupid, dammit can't people stop mixing religion with politics?

To support Obama's initiative only because it helps their evangelical agenda is ludicrous.

People should really stop supporting evangelicals and just as the end of the Vatican needs to come so does the end of evangelicalism.

Whenever I see a crowd at an evangelical show I see taliban extremism, complete blindness and Zombieism.

To support Obama's immigration plans for these reasons are so very horrible to me.

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 09:17 AM
link   
Wow- And there's a whole piece in the Bible about diluting one's race when it comes to black and white people dating. Or so these same evangelicals will have you believe.

This world is one messed up little piece of ####......

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 08:05 PM
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

But this is stupid, dammit can't people stop mixing religion with politics?

No! No they can't!!

But lets all whine about it now that Obama is playing the trump card called religion.

US Politics and Christianity are so intertwined it's hard to tell them apart with out a scorecard. It wasn't that long ago that Pat Robertson, Jerry Falwell etc. all pandered to the Right wing neocons in Pres. Bush's whitehouse. Rev. Pat even made a run for the WH himself.

Tell me these guys aren't real power brokers.

www.edgeboston.com...

www.theocracywatch.org...

I have a feeling however that moderate Gop's are bailing because of the take over of the Republican party by the So called Moral Majority. They are still alive and flourishing in Right wing politics.

And Palin and her religious affiliations, is down right scary.

www.youtube.com...

[edit on 19-7-2010 by whaaa]

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 08:10 PM
link   
Last time I checked, the Church had no place in saying what happens to foreign criminals on American territory.

I agree with the OP (in part) on the fact that religion has no place in politics.

new topics

top topics

join