It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Indonesian clerics: Our mistake _ you're facing the wrong direction during Islamic prayers

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 08:02 AM
link   

Indonesian clerics: Our mistake _ you're facing the wrong direction during Islamic prayers

[url=http://www.foxnews.com/world/2010/07/19/indonesian-clerics-mistake-youre-facing-wrong-direction-islamic-prayers/?test=latestnews]www.foxnews.com[ /url]

JAKARTA, Indonesia (AP) — People in the world's most populous Muslim nation have been facing Africa — not Mecca — while praying.

Indonesia's highest Islamic body acknowledged Monday it made a mistake when issuing an edict in March saying the holy city in Saudi Arabia was to the country's west. It has since asked followers to shift direction slightly northward during their daily prayers.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 08:02 AM
link   
LOL! So does this mean that all of their prayers have been falling on deaf ears? What about the suicide bombers? Were their attempts in vein? This whole time they thought their prayers were being heard by god, instead they were shooting straight out into the emptiness of space. I wonder if they feel cheated at all, maybe even a little?

I'm not sure if they do this Indonesia, but in other Islamic countries, they actually build their structures in an effort to face Mecca so the implications of this are far greater than one would normally think.

--airspoon

[url=http://www.foxnews.com/world/2010/07/19/indonesian-clerics-mistake-youre-facing-wrong-direction-islamic-prayers/?test=latestnews]www.foxnews.com[ /url]
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 08:45 AM
link   
Well while I am not Muslim the best I can do is offer up an idea.

If I were and I believed I were praying in the correct direction I guess you could say that yes the prayers would be answered. After all I would think it was what was in your heart that mattered to the god you were praying to. Again, I am not Muslim nor will I pretend to be, but this is my best educated guess.

Raist

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 09:41 AM
link   
I think the more pressing issue is that they couldn't read a map and/or couldn't tell east from west.
I would expect that from an American, not an Indonesian!

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 09:43 AM
link   
Alah ANGRY! Alah not hear prayers!

*shifts direction a bit*

Alah hear prayer now! Alah HAPPY!!

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 10:17 AM
link   

It is not righteousness that ye Turn your faces Towards east or West; but it is righteousness- to believe in Allah and the Last Day, and the Angels, and the Book, and the Messengers; to spend of your substance, out of love for Him, for your kin, for orphans, for the needy, for the wayfarer, for those who ask, and for the ransom of slaves; to be steadfast in prayer, and practice regular charity; to fulfil the contracts which ye have made; and to be firm and patient, in pain (or suffering) and adversity, and throughout all periods of panic. Such are the people of truth, the Allah.fearing.

Qur'an, 2:177

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 10:20 AM
link   
Very funny indeed, talk about misdirected efforts. It seems the indonesians are not real good at directions full stop. We used to do military training with them and they were hopeless, couldnt even hit inate targets. Their navigating ability not much better, why their fishing boats are always getting caught in AUST waters. Thankfully they always seem to be able to find their way home.

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 11:05 AM
link   
It doesnt matter if they were facing the wrong direction, its the intentions that count at the end of the day.

a lot of people still dont understand the reason muslims face mecca and pray, many still dont know the significance of that location and the energy.

did you know that the azan (islamic call to prayer) is heard 24/7 throughout the world. it doesnt stop one minute. when it ends in baghdad it starts in basra and so on for every city in the world.

i'm reading about the muslim prophet muhammed and i think hes the smartest man to have ever lived. his religion is an empire that will live for thousands of years if not forever.

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 11:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by Raist
Well while I am not Muslim the best I can do is offer up an idea.

After all I would think it was what was in your heart that mattered to the god you were praying to. , but this is my best educated guess.

Raist

Yes, you are right. When it is prayer time and you are traveling in train or Plan or may be in space, one minute your face could be in one direction and the next it could be in another direction. It is what you intend to do. Intention is the factor.

[edit on 19-7-2010 by charlie0]

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 08:22 PM
link   
I think the haters should face directly downwards when praying
that would be alot more accurate as allah resides in the pit of hell!!!

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 10:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Emphursis
I think the more pressing issue is that they couldn't read a map and/or couldn't tell east from west.
I would expect that from an American, not an Indonesian!
In all fairness the problem wasn't east from west, it was northwest from west, but still, you'd think they could read a map.

Originally posted by RizeorDie
a lot of people still dont understand the reason muslims face mecca and pray, many still dont know the significance of that location and the energy.
And you do?

I read it's a rock that fell from the sky:
Black Stone

The Black Stone ...is a Muslim relic, which according to Islamic tradition dates back to the time of Adam and Eve. Many geologists... believe it to be a tektite or a meteorite.
Well if they "believe" it that doesn't sound like they're too sure. I suppose no formal analysis is permitted on something that sacred to see what it really is?

The Black Stone has been described variously as basalt lava, an agate, a piece of natural glass or — most popularly — a stony meteorite. It is evidently a hard rock, having survived so much handling. A significant clue to its nature is provided by an account of the Stone's recovery in 951 AD after it had been stolen 21 years earlier; according to a chronicler, the Stone was identified by its ability to float in water. If this account is accurate, it would rule out the Black Stone being an agate, basalt lava or stony meteorite, though it would be compatible with it being glass or pumice.
No wonder people don't know the significance, apparently nobody knows for sure what it is.

[edit on 19-7-2010 by Arbitrageur]

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 10:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by RizeorDie
It doesnt matter if they were facing the wrong direction, its the intentions that count at the end of the day.

did you know that the azan (islamic call to prayer) is heard 24/7 throughout the world. it doesnt stop one minute. when it ends in baghdad it starts in basra and so on for every city in the world.

i'm reading about the muslim prophet muhammed and i think hes the smartest man to have ever lived. his religion is an empire that will live for thousands of years if not forever.

Well, yeah he was smart. Not anywhere near being in the top 10% of humankind, however. He crafted a religion based on a fusion of Chrstianity with the Arab culture. Wasn't that hard, since he had a blueprint already.

Regardless, if you want to read about some smart historical figures, read up on the Comte de St, Gernaine, Pythagoras (especially Pythagoras), and Aristotle. Thomas Jefferson is another brilliant mind, as is Sir Francis Bacon (and all his pen names) and Henry David Thoreau. The last three have several writings. The first three are more historical figures that you get third person perspectives on.

Find some true intellectuals to read and read up on. Not the author of the controlling dogma of "the religion of peace".

new topics

top topics

join