It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

EMT Accused Of Ignoring Dying Woman Is Killed [NYC]

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 09:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dumbass
That is not Karma...

[edit on 19-7-2010 by Dumbass]

What a profound statement, it's obvious you don't know what Karma is.

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 10:07 PM
link   
hmmmm..... what a crazy world we are living in

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 10:23 PM
link   
I can't believe an EMT could do this. It shatters my heart. I can believe some bastard would shoot the EMT. I hope something is mis-stated here.

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 10:27 PM
link   
Call it what anything thing you want to.
Believe any thing you want to.
But what goes around comes around.
That is a fact. Ignore it at your own risk.

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 11:06 PM
link   
(Nearly) Instant Karma at work here.

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 11:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bobbox1980
An off-duty EMT choosing not to help does not make him evil.

There is:
good
neutral
evil

Kicking the woman in the stomach while she was on the ground gasping for air would be evil.

Giving the woman your inhaler hoping it would help her asthma would be good.

Doing nothing is neutral. It is no different than if the EMT had gone to a coffee shop across town instead.

It sucks that this woman and her unborn child died. Without the proper medicine it was probably inevitable.

Although I could imagine the pregnant woman being in distress seeing an off-duty EMT and when the EMT didn't help becoming even more distressed exacerbating her condition.

I can only imagine what Superman's mental state would be in this world with everyone demanding his help and taking it for granted.

perhaps one of the most insane posts i have ever seen......

letting someone die on the sidewalk is neutral????? ohh boy!

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 11:12 PM
link   
I wouldn't be quick to antagonize the EMT's in this case. As a medical student , I am constantly reminded that the Good Samaritan Laws do not apply to health care professionals.

Good Samaritan Laws states that any bystander who comes to the aid of a emergency victim will be exempt from any litigations against them if the victim dies or becomes permanently disabled.

Since not everyone is trained in medicine this law protects those who comes to the aid of others and by chance does more damage than good. Of course trying to help someone in danger and making it worse is better than just walking away with indifference, at least they tried to help.

Now this law does not apply to medical professionals, unless we use standard treatments, or follow standardized algorithms to treat a emergency patient, we can be sued to kingdom come. Once we come to the aid of a victim we must stay with them and ensure everything is done by the book, not for the patients benefit, but to cover our asses.

No one in the medical field wants to leave a dying person on the streets, but the sometimes the law gives us no choice. I'm very sure that the EMT did not want to leave that woman there. But being ill prepared and lacking the necessary tools and medications to handle the situation he would have been sued to hell if anything went wrong.

Yes there are people who go after medical pros with a lawyer AFTER they have been saved by that very person!

posted on Jul, 20 2010 @ 12:11 AM
link   
reply to post by DrChuck

I am sorry to say this but if you feel that way maybe you need to rethink the profession you have chosen. Think about it.

posted on Jul, 20 2010 @ 12:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by zerbot565
any old plastic or paper bag would have saved her and the childs life

I hope you are not around if I am having an asthma attack.

A paper or plastic bag is helpful for someone who is hyperventilating, not having an asthma attack.

If someone is having an asthma attack and you have them breathe into a bag they will likely die.

posted on Jul, 20 2010 @ 12:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by mf_luder

Well said LadySkadi, and that also points to where he's from. You said NY, right? I'm honestly not surprised he ignored a dying woman. Fits right in there up in the NE, apparently.

Are you implying that people from NY are less likely to help in an emergency? On what are you basing this? And please don't offer up your own anecdotal story as your "evidence".

posted on Jul, 20 2010 @ 01:17 AM
link   
good .............................................................

posted on Jul, 20 2010 @ 01:35 AM
link   
reply to post by craig732

Yeah. I agree.. that's not what you do in this case.. and it potentially makes worse as they just start to breath in the carbon that their body already had trouble getting rid of.

But hopefully people will come to understand EMS more before they start thinking this EMT killed by in-action.

The woman would have likely died whether the EMT acted or not. They were on a coffee break from their dispatch center, they didn't have a stocked ambulance outside.

Very sad to see someone die, even if he didn't choose to be the most ethical person.

posted on Jul, 20 2010 @ 01:38 AM
link   
reply to post by fixer1967

Maybe he wants to be in a field where he gets to help people?

It is sometimes a sacrifice. EMTs aren't greatly targeted, because they have no money (Very poorly paid) but Doctors, nurses.. their walking law suits.

posted on Jul, 20 2010 @ 02:34 AM
link   

There is a tremendous number of healthcare workers who speak of having to do the same thing in their daily lives. So I do not think this is all "as minimal" as some would like to have others to believe. The healthcare and hospital organizations spend millions on positive public advertising and damage control at the same time. In my area if the victim is not within 200 feet of the closet door of the hospital, an ambulance is required to be called.

That says it in a nutshell.

posted on Jul, 20 2010 @ 03:03 AM
link   
i know a guy that was an emt and when a guy was run over by a car when he was off duty he was scared to help for fear of being sued. karma didnt get him and i dont think it got this guy either, we are so immersed in conspiracies here that we forget there is such a thing as simple coincidence

posted on Jul, 20 2010 @ 03:18 AM
link   

No need to rethink my choice of profession, I came into medicine wanting to help anyone at anytime. Its a noble profession which should obligate its practitioners to uphold the responsibilities of helping and caring for humanity. But when the law gets in the way we are lodged between a rock and hard place. It is the law that prevents medical professionals from performing at their highest potential and at the greatest benefit to patients.

I will NOT risk my medical license for anything! I have worked way too hard. countless sleepless nights, constantly neglecting myself; friends; family; girlfriends, anyone who is a part of my life. I have made way too many sacrifices, not to mention the unsettling amount of loans.

If it wasn't for the limitations and constant legal threats, I would gladly do whatever I can for any patient whether its in public or the hospital. But to throw my career away for one person when I can save thousands more is not a good decision. Sadly, decisions like these shouldn't even exist!!

Doctors, nurses, paramedics, EMTs, all have the skills and knowledge to save lives. So why would they not spring into action if its called for? These people went in to this profession because they want to help, they are not evil people who deserve to die when they are too scared to aid an ailing human being. The problem is not the refusal to help, the problem is the stemming reason of the refusal.

We have lawyers, bureaucrats and medical insurance companies tying our hands behind our back. We want to help, but it is human nature to look out first for oneself. I didn't create this situation the lawyers and bureaucrats did. Tell them to get another profession not me.

[edit on 20-7-2010 by DrChuck]

posted on Jul, 20 2010 @ 06:13 AM
link   
im telling you, these medical people are not in it to help people, they just want that fat paycheck.

posted on Jul, 20 2010 @ 06:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by DrChuck

No need to rethink my choice of profession, I came into medicine wanting to help anyone at anytime. Its a noble profession which should obligate its practitioners to uphold the responsibilities of helping and caring for humanity. But when the law gets in the way we are lodged between a rock and hard place. It is the law that prevents medical professionals from performing at their highest potential and at the greatest benefit to patients.

I will NOT risk my medical license for anything! I have worked way too hard. countless sleepless nights, constantly neglecting myself; friends; family; girlfriends, anyone who is a part of my life. I have made way too many sacrifices, not to mention the unsettling amount of loans.

If it wasn't for the limitations and constant legal threats, I would gladly do whatever I can for any patient whether its in public or the hospital. But to throw my career away for one person when I can save thousands more is not a good decision. Sadly, decisions like these shouldn't even exist!!

Doctors, nurses, paramedics, EMTs, all have the skills and knowledge to save lives. So why would they not spring into action if its called for? These people went in to this profession because they want to help, they are not evil people who deserve to die when they are too scared to aid an ailing human being. The problem is not the refusal to help, the problem is the stemming reason of the refusal.

We have lawyers, bureaucrats and medical insurance companies tying our hands behind our back. We want to help, but it is human nature to look out first for oneself. I didn't create this situation the lawyers and bureaucrats did. Tell them to get another profession not me.

yeah sure buddy, you're in it to help people but you wouldn't want to lose your license in the process of helping people..yeahh ok. don't have to lie to get in, just admit you'll be filthy rich because there are an endless supply of dying people who will give you everything they have just to die anyways. you arrogant bastards better pray hard, you'll be seeing me in hell.

posted on Jul, 20 2010 @ 06:45 AM
link   
post removed because the user has no concept of manners

Click here for more information.

posted on Jul, 20 2010 @ 06:48 AM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10 >>

join