It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

EMT Accused Of Ignoring Dying Woman Is Killed [NYC]

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 06:22 PM
link   
double posted

[edit on 19-7-2010 by Dumbass]

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 06:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Brainiac

Realize this about Karma:

According to Indian Yogic system the time of death is governed by the karma of a living entity. When the karma's course is finished then death takes place. It is not clear how to find out what constitutes karma, its duration or how many karmas a person accumulates during his/her lifetime.

So that is why my first post was:

Originally posted by Dumbass
That is not Karma...

[edit on 19-7-2010 by Dumbass]

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 06:25 PM
link   
reply to post by mf_luder

It would be better if you gave some input without showing disregard or disrespect for others. I live in NY have lived in NYC and would even stop to help your wise crackin ass if your life was in danger no matter what I thought of you. The truth is, in NY and NYC especially, people have a way of being individuals yet knowing they belong to something much bigger and when shtf on a larger level NYC is the city that comes together more then anywhere else in the world.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and you need a new perspective. Never give up on understanding and choose rather to apply labels to people because you`re wrong on this one.
That guy doesn`t represent the NE or NYC, (I`d like to know if he were actually "from" the area) but he was wrong for letting someone die when he had the power to do something. It was his responsibility as soon as he attained the knowledge and that`s that, but its definitely not a NY thing.

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 06:37 PM
link   
An off-duty EMT choosing not to help does not make him evil.

There is:
good
neutral
evil

Kicking the woman in the stomach while she was on the ground gasping for air would be evil.

Giving the woman your inhaler hoping it would help her asthma would be good.

Doing nothing is neutral. It is no different than if the EMT had gone to a coffee shop across town instead.

It sucks that this woman and her unborn child died. Without the proper medicine it was probably inevitable.

Although I could imagine the pregnant woman being in distress seeing an off-duty EMT and when the EMT didn't help becoming even more distressed exacerbating her condition.

I can only imagine what Superman's mental state would be in this world with everyone demanding his help and taking it for granted.

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 06:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by DaMod
reply to post by theability

Fair enough. I've just seen what happens to a diabetic without insulin. It's not pretty. Just threw it out there for that reason.

You are right though, it is dangerous.

Think you may have gotten Insulin (control blood sugar levels for diabetic) mixed up with Epinephrine (use to treat anaphylaxis - adrenalin) buddy although I get the point you are making. Here in the UK, Paramedics can carry and administer a lot of different drugs. As has been said, even oxygen administration may not have helped the mother but that along with basic CPR 'May' have helped the baby. Better to try something than to do nothing as I am sure you will all agree.

Edit to add description of different drugs

[edit on 19-7-2010 by StarTraveller]

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 06:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Bobbox1980

I hope you never have to find out.

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 06:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Keyhole

Im not sure what they have to do for dispatch. You don't need to be an EMT to dispatch in my state, there is a seperate set of training for that here.

I'm not saying they acted well, but to praise their death is beyond insane. I wouldn't have ever walked away from the scene personally, but if I were in their position, an ALS unit didn't get there in time.. and the woman had no inhaler she would of still died.. Even with me trying to help her as best I could.. Probably most EMT basics would face the same issues. Without equipment or the drugs of an ambulance (and authorization/knowledge to use them) there's no life saving treatment that I know of that they could of performed..

Which is what I'd been trying to say. Unfortunately it didn't come across that well.

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 06:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Chillidog1

Just to note... I recently had EMT training.. And we didn't really cover off duty that detailed. But the gist I got was "Its good to call 911, but you don't have a duty to act if your off duty. And if you do, don't do anything beyond CPR/First aid."

It looks bad but we're not really supposed to do much. I know it was a LOT different 20 years ago where EMTs were expected to act.

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 07:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Miraj

Understand your point totally bud but I have always done all I can. I carry my own kit whether it be when on my quad or in my car.

I couldn't just not do anything, 2 successful resuscitations within the past 6 months and on both occasions I was not on duty.

We do have to be careful of what we do and when we do it, I have a first responder friend that carried out basis CPR, got the guy back and then was faced with a law suite for breaking the guys ribs, but he got the guy back!

[edit on 19-7-2010 by StarTraveller]

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 07:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by LadySkadi

That is not Karma...

"In Indian beliefs, the karmic effects of all deeds are viewed as actively shaping past, present, and future experiences. The results or 'fruits' of actions are called karma-phala"

Perhaps not, but according to the definition above, it comes pretty close...

So according to that theory that woman and baby probably received that painfull ending due to their Karma

This is why justice/law is better than karma...justice takes into account fault and no fault and that you can be juged outside of what the other has done or even how good you have been, depending on the crime.

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 07:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Miraj

Then why in the # should an off duty cop do anything?

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 07:35 PM
link   
reply to post by LadySkadi

Give the gunman a freakin medal.

You dont let a lady suffer and you DAMN sure dont let a pregnant lady suffer!

These "med techs" were pigs and deserved to be strung up from lamp poles as a symbol of what NOT TO DO!

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 07:50 PM
link   
reply to post by StarTraveller

I'd do CPR if I had my mask.. First aid.. But that's all I can do. I dont have an AED, if I ever had surplus income I might get one just incase someone in the family goes down.

I'd just try to get her some help, and if she stopped breathing I'd do my best with CPR or rescue breathing.

I'd at the very least use my training to tell the ALS unit what I saw happen so they can give the hospital more info.

I don't agree with them walking away, but I think this is an issue of ethics, and not legality.. and certainly not one to kill over.

I think lay public has more of a vision of EMTs being this grand rescuers that can get you out of anything.. and that's just now how things to go.

And talk about being ungrateful.. Where you sue someone for bringing you back to life.

I bet the guy was just desperate after he got a huge hospital bill and had nothing to pay them back with. Of course it's stupid to sue an EMT..

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 07:52 PM
link   
Whether its karma, revenge or both what happened happened. He deserved it. What a pathetic excuse for a human being.

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 07:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Logarock

I wouldn't expect them to personally but.. I think it's different between EMTs and Cops.

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 07:58 PM
link   
Karma, no karma. People in this thread need to tread lightly when vocalizing their love of someone getting meeting their end, it really does have a nasty way of coming around to biting you.

Just out of pure curiosity, of those who truly believed he deserved his death, how many of you believe in the death penalty?

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 08:03 PM
link   
reply to post by mf_luder

I for one am glad he's dead.

After reading that, the picture of a pile of manure comes to mind.

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 08:44 PM
link   
reply to post by LadySkadi

Not defending the mans actions but i am sure he didn't help the woman because of the risk of being sued. That's what happens when lawyers are allowed to make everyone fearful of legal action.

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 09:19 PM
link   
Police may say it was not linked...oh, but it was linked...

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 09:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Bobbox1980

There are sins of omission and sins of commission.

Why did he pick his job if he was that non-interested in helping. Not wanting to disturb your "break time"?

A pregnant woman comes to you for help you are obliged to help.

REGARDLESS!

As much as I dislike muslims, if a muslim woman (pregnant or not) or child were to need CPR, I would be obliged to aid them.

Who knows. That might be the turning point to get things going in a good direction.

This would be a good time to "not let a crisis go to waste". Never let an opportunity to do good escape.

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join