It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

EMT Accused Of Ignoring Dying Woman Is Killed [NYC]

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 05:03 PM
link   
It is interesting how people can see two tiny moments... out of billions of moments... of someone's life and suddenly believe they can see it all clearly. Karma huh?

Maybe those two EMTs also saved 100 other people. How many people have you saved? Perhaps they've killed 100 other people. Perhaps they... The point is, it seems terribly small-minded to suddenly decide what is karma and what isn't and to suggest that someone getting shot in the face is deserved.

I find this intriguing and slightly disturbing... the human animal.

Instead of karma... maybe we should have responsibility. Perhaps it wasn't karma that pulled the trigger but the individual with the gun. Perhaps we are all responsible for what we do... Then, maybe instead of being overjoyed that someone's kid just got shot in the face, the recognition that we are all more than the sum of two moments could occur, and we could recognize that it isn't always wise to be happy at other's pain.

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 05:05 PM
link   
reply to post by DaMod

Well although this is a bit OT. I am a bit irked by the idea that where my wife to have a severe asthma attack, the EMT's wouldn't be able to do anything about it before she got to the hospital. I mean, she could die! I don't think the bureaucracy excuse would settle too well with a widower. Not in the slightest.

Well you know, I would do anything for a person in need. Seriously I agree with your post 110%.

But for some reason these darn medical examiners just don't have that compassion for some reason.

I have no idea why.

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 05:07 PM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

I would have figured it out.. It's a very simple to recognize.

But If I had that uniform on, I could not have given an inhaler from someone else. I think that's national.. Can't go giving someone another's medication.

Wouldn't be surprised if some hunters were more qualified than EMTs in some areas.. as we are held back by INSANE amounts of protocol.. and EMT training is very rushed, we barely learn what we are supposed to as we are not given the time we should receive.

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 05:08 PM
link   
reply to post by theability

Maybe for the same reason all major corporations have no sense of morality.

Cut costs, cut costs, cut costs, cut costs, cut costs, cut costs, cut costs, cut costs, cut costs, cut costs, cut costs, cut costs, cut costs, cut costs, cut costs, cut costs, cut costs, cut costs, cut costs, cut costs, cut costs!

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 05:09 PM
link   
reply to post by DaMod

In terms of medications that we carry, you'd be surprised how many medications paramedics actually carry.

Mostly they are first line cardiac medications, but still the list is quite large.

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 05:11 PM
link   
reply to post by DaMod

Maybe for the same reason all major corporations have no sense of morality.

Sounds like our OP who is now dead doesn't it?

Amazing how this all ties together.

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 05:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by theability
reply to post by DaMod

In terms of medications that we carry, you'd be surprised how many medications paramedics actually carry.

Mostly they are first line cardiac medications, but still the list is quite large.

Nitro?

Is that administered by Paramedics?

My Father suffered with massive chest pain for 5 years. Ambulances were called out many times, and they would find his vitals fine. Sometimes he would pass out from low blood pressure, but he would quickly recover. His Doctor prescribed everything from anti-depressants to aspirin, but we finally found out that the Nitro pills for Angina would help the most.

After eating through several bottles of Nitro pills, and passing every heart test and stress test available, the doctor finally decided to do a catheterization, even though they didn't have a real solid reason to go through with it and insurance wouldn't cover it.

They found 100% blockage in his lower descending coronary artery (I think.) They call that one the "widow maker" and they typically find that blockage during autopsy, not regular exam!

Anyhow, the Cardiologists did emergency quadruple bypass surgery, and they said that Nitro and Aspirin along with a lot of luck had probably kept him alive the last couple of years?

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 05:15 PM
link   
Karma? Strange it only works on a few but not for all. You don't see Dick Cheney or George Bush getting shot in the face.

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 05:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by ALlENATlON

Originally posted by Dumbass

Originally posted by LadySkadi

That is not Karma...

"In Indian beliefs, the karmic effects of all deeds are viewed as actively shaping past, present, and future experiences. The results or 'fruits' of actions are called karma-phala"

Perhaps not, but according to the definition above, it comes pretty close...

So according to that theory that woman and baby probably received that painfull ending due to their Karma

Clearly you don't know diddly squat about Karma because your little sarcastic response could very well be the truth. Sometimes you pay your karma in this life for the wrongs in another. This man getting shot and killed most certainly could of been his Karma as well.

In my understanding death is not a punishment. But are you judging me

[edit on 19-7-2010 by Dumbass]

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 05:18 PM
link   

Nitro?

Absolutely. With the chest pain patient, morphine and nitro go hand in hand.

Here is a decent list of meds that paramedics can give, keep in mind it varries from state to state quite a bit.

Source

Now to give you an idea how much training Paramedics go through, I had 2500 hours of clinical time, plus 1000 hours of classroom.

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 05:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by balon0
Karma? Strange it only works on a few but not for all. You don't see Dick Cheney or George Bush getting shot in the face.

They have excellent lawyers who are paid to take the shot in the face for them.

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 05:19 PM
link   

EMTs, nationally can give a patient their own Nitroglycerin given they remain under a slurry of national, state, county and/or local regulations.

I don't think EMTs would care our own in my state, but I know Paramedics do.

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 05:23 PM
link   
reply to post by LadySkadi

That's called NYC justice. Here, you are either part of the city, visiting, or dead.

Great justice done by just attack.

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 05:29 PM
link   
This story reminds me of an incident here in N.E. Arrkansas, about 15 years ago. There was an interracial couple who lost a baby at birth. They wanted to bury the child at a certain cemetary. Well some people in the area didn't want a black child buried where their relatives were buried. They had a hostile town meeting, and one women was most vocal. She vehemently refused to let this dead baby be buried where she was going to be buried. The couple decided on another burial site. Well about two months later this young belligerent woman was buried in that cemetary. Guess what. The first person buried in that cemetary was a black guy, buried their in the 1860's. God has ways to pay back people.

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 05:32 PM
link   
reply to post by RRJ58

I wonder what this woman did to deserve her death. Oh wonder why the baby lost his/her "god" given rights.

Those babies are just out there screwing everyone over, clearly he deserved it.

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 05:40 PM
link   
I am a 20+ year Paramedic, and former EMT instructor. I'm not an authority on karma, though I'm pretty sure mines not shining like a diamond. I'm not sure on NY laws, but there are some things that are Federal law, like the Good Samaritan act. If they would've rendered care that was up to their level of training, then they wouldn't have had to worry about lawsuits. If they were dispatchers, I can understand their hesitation to act if their only experience with patient care had been a couple ride along clinicals and a few Emergency Room clinicals, were they probably took a few blood pressures, maybe assisted in a few splintings, or bandaging and then watched procedures all day. Though they were in uniform from what I gather and they have the patch on their should that says EMT so they still have some duty to act. Now its been a while since I taught but when I did, it was illegal for you to, say, drive by an accident and not stop to assist. I had even heard an anecdotal story about an EMT who lost his license and got into some legal mess because he passed by an accident on his way home and one of the victims was a coworker that recognized him when he drove by.
Now if the EMTs were indeed a BLS "box" crew then no, they wouldn't have albuterol on the truck, nor be authorized to use if they did. Epi 1:1000 would help in a severe asthma attack, but again, that wouldn't be on a BLS truck. Epipen as well. However they would have a simple, or nonrebreather mask that could be used in the same way a paper bag would. And that may have helped this woman and her child. If they were dispatchers that were EMT's, then as EMT's they still should've stayed with the patient while an ALS unit was dispatched, then monitored the patient and rendered any care within their scope of training until the ALS unit arrived, then turned over care to them. The next step in the Chain of Care.
I worked in a big city early in my career and I know the apathetic attitude that these 2 sound to have been exhibiting. I remember how burned out and uncaring some of the veterans were.s down south here It's not just confined to big city medics though, some of the good ole boys down south here show just the same amount of contempt for some of their patients. It has always made me furious to see first responders who treat people like $%)_T and then blame job stress on it. They are in alot of circumstances getting paid by taxpayer dollars, so no matter how stressful the job gets, and it does, that doesn't excuse hosility towards the people putting food on your families table.
The lawyer comments sound to me like pure "Bravo Sierra". It's obvious to anyone with half a brain (and soul) what these 2 shouldve done. The legal aspects of it I'm sure will be argued ad nauseum until a decision is made and then appealed a couple times. And not alot will change. 3 people will still be dead, and another will be looking over her shoulder for the rest of her life. Not to mention the pain and anguish that the ones who love and care for them will have to endure.
Karma Schmarma!

*Edit for foniks

[edit on 7/19/10 by Chillidog1]

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 05:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Miraj
reply to post by Keyhole

They were 911 dispatchers I thought.

Which they are EMTs, but they aren't. They don't work in the field, they answer 911 calls.

Apparently you are right!

Jason Green, 32 & Melissa Jackson, 23, Two EMT Workers Who Turned Their Backs on Helping Eutisha Revee Rennix as She Died in Brooklyn Coffee Shop

According to the NY Daily News, Green and Jackson are reportedly dating. They work in the Emergency Medical Service dispatch center in the Metrotech complex, and their offices are directly above the Au Bon Pain where Rennix worked. The two have been suspended without pay while the investigation continues. DNY officials said Green had been an EMT for six years and Jackson for four.

Anyone who has a heart, whether or not they were on their break, would have helped this woman in some way. There is no reason why these two EMT workers were so callous and uncaring that they turned their backs on this woman. They should be fired immediately.

DA Probes EMTs in Mom's Death

Sources said the FDNY wants to boot Green, a six-year veteran, and Jackson, who has four years with the department, over the debacle, a story that The Post broke Sunday.

But two are fighting back, unleashing a union rep to defend them yesterday.

"These are people that are not in the field," EMS union exec Jeff Samerson said. "They have not had patient contact in years."

Still, even Samerson had to concede, "they could have acted better."

Fire Department officials have already referred the case to the state Health Department, which could revoke the EMTs' certification.

Okay, so they were dispatchers, or rather EMT's who gave people medical instructions over the phone when somebody was in trouble.

They still had the knowledge to help this woman, even if they hadn't had "patient contact" in years! And Green had been an EMT dispatcher for 6 years helping people on the phone. He should have retained enough of the info he had given people over the years to know what to do in the event of an asthma attack!

And don't they have to do a "ride along" in an ambulance a couple times a year to keep their EMT certification? (I believe you do here in FL.)

Is this the way they would have acted if it was their mother, sister, or a friend of theirs? I hope not!

They still had more knowledge than anybody their at the time to help this woman, which they should have done!

[edit on 7/19/2010 by Keyhole]

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 05:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by LadySkadi

That is not Karma...

"In Indian beliefs, the karmic effects of all deeds are viewed as actively shaping past, present, and future experiences. The results or 'fruits' of actions are called karma-phala"

Perhaps not, but according to the definition above, it comes pretty close...

So according to that theory that woman and baby probably received that painfull ending due to their Karma

Good one. Pretty much your right Dumbass.

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 06:05 PM
link   
Ha! Ha! Good riddance. Maybe next time in another life he will put into practice the lesson learned. On an unrelated note, I saved a bunch of money on my car insurance.

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 06:08 PM
link   
Karma or not, he had a 'Duty Of Care' regardless of being on tea break, jogging in the park or sleeping in his bed. I am an EMT and if I have kit with me or not I will do all in my power to help preserve life. Hell I bought a quad bike to use in my spare time searching for stranded walkers and helping anyone I can as much as I can.

www.quad-response.com...

Policy or not, he should have done something to help and god forgive me for saying this - he got his just deserve.

Life is precious, we only get one shot as does everyone else - preserve and protect it at any cost - Apart from Life itself.

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join