It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

BP oil spill: failed safety device on Deepwater Horizon rig was modified in China

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 07:23 AM
link   

Blow-out preventer was sent to Far East at BP's request rather than overhauled in US

BP ordered the owner of the Deepwater Horizon rig, whose explosion led to the worst environmental disaster in US history, to overhaul a crucial piece of the rig's safety equipment in China, the Observer has learnt. The blow-out preventer – the last line of defence against an out-of-control well – subsequently failed to activate and is at the centre of investigations into what caused the disaster.

Experts say that the practice of having such engineering work carried out in China, rather than the US, saves money and is common in the industry.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.
Source: www.guardian.co.uk...

Well of course, who would have ever thought differently? See what happens when you take jobs away from Americans? The American public becomes screwed in more ways than one. Not only were we screwed out of a job, but now we are also screwed out of our Southern States. I realize that the start of the leak is not nearly as frusterating as BP's handling of the disaster afterwords, but this just adds salt to the wound.

I think that companies who outsource labor/jobs and screw up because of said outsourcing, should be held liable twice.

--airspoon

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 07:54 AM
link   
This is disgusting to me, but I am not really surprised. Do you remember when product recalls were actually announced on the news? Before we sent our manufacturing to China?
Well now the bulletin boards at Wal-Mart and other stores boards are literally covered with product recall information, sadly must of it is products for children.

[edit on 19-7-2010 by Starbug3MY]

[edit on 19-7-2010 by Starbug3MY]

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 08:09 AM
link   
Please dont tell me they are trying to pass the blame?
What about the fact they were drilling past specifications?

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 08:13 AM
link   
Another faulty item manufactured in China? Why am I not the least bit shocked here?

The Walmartification of America, where everyone needs a "bargain" has failed society miserably and rained pain down on the United States. Millions of jobs lost - permanently! Sub-standard JUNK that breaks, doesn't work or contains POISON! And now this... in an effort to "Save a few bucks" an entire econ-system is destroyed. When are people going to learn to NOT buy crap from China?

You people that shop at Wal-Mart, Target and other box stores are directly responsible for the downfall and decay of America. Don't bitch about it, deal with it! Now start doing the responsible thing and BUY AMERICAN!!!

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 08:39 AM
link   
It doesn't matter how many faulty items come from China, as long as corporations can save money while escaping accountability, they will do so. If these corporations lose market share due to them not providing quality, the US government will just bail them out.

--airspoon

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 08:49 AM
link   
Im not surprised. Actually right after the event, when they mentioned it was due to a faulty piece of equipment, I said "must have been made in China".

I can understand that the company might sigh relief thinking the blame is on someone else, but I dont think that will happen. China has a rep for what it produces. If they were willing to cut corners and use China instead of the US then the blame is still on them.

new topics

top topics

join