It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Got no time? Well Soon You Won't Have To Worry About It At All

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 03:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Hitotsumami

You provide some interesting thoughts, I've searched for something that might explain what you're talking about, but alas I couldn't find anything as my google skills are weak. Can you provide any scientific articles that talks about how the world would be without time as you describe?

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 08:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Droogie

So, without "time", how do things change state? Will the universe become completely locked, frozen? For this to happen we have to accept that entropy is a basic part of the universe.

See, "time" is not a dimension unto itself when speaking spatially. Time exists as a by product of changes of state. When something changes state, then it creates a frame of reference to what it was, and what it is.

Time is merely the continual changes of state of various universal pieces.

It isn't a mystery. Of course, there is the possibility that everything that ever has or ever will happen has already happened. If this is the case, you would need to include "temporal dimensions" as well. Temporal dimensions would allow you to "look up" a time as if it were a place, allowing you to visit a time. Of course, by "time" i mean visit a particlar configuration of the universe. Since time is nothing more than a by product of things (mass or energy) changing state.

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 09:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Droogie
reply to post by Frakkerface

Yep, I agree, might be better to take a pause from reading about things like this once in a while

I was thinking the same thing yesterday.

Maybe time is a product of consciousness.
And maybe what is seen as acceleration of the universe or time running out is simply time fading away as if its the edge of our conscious universe.

This to me sounds just as possible as dark matter or time running out.

[edit on 7/19/2010 by BrokenCar]

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 11:41 PM
link   
The article is interesting and I'm not saying they're not onto something, but it should be pointed out that it refers to time as a phenomenon existing independently of consciousness. Time is an illusion. Psychological time exists--it is the memory of things past and anticipation of things to come. It's mind stuff, not real.

For that reason, I think they should use a different word for "time," because they really mean something different than what is thought of as time. They are talking about the physical universe, not imaginary time.

The only "time" that is real is the present--the past happened in the present, and the future will happen in the present. The past and future are imaginary cognitive reference points of movement, nothing more.

This is why mystics through the ages have taught that reality is obscured by the ego, which fragments what it sees by separating and labeling an interconnected and unified whole.

The universe has created the perception of time through an outward breath of matter and self-aware, egoic beings to intellectualize about what they see. The universe may one day breath in and gather all its parts and parcels--but whatever it does, still the time will be the same--the present.

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 11:50 PM
link   

Apparently some scientists thinks time is disappearing from the universe, this is an alternative theory to dark energy, which is currently believed to cause the expansion and acceleration of the universe.
Interesting alternative theory for the observations. So if this theory is right, it's time that will freeze. If the other theory is right, that space is exxpanding at an accelerated rate, it's space that will freeze.

So it seems like something will end up freezing no matter what!

Until we have an explanation for the "dark energy" observations, we have to entertain explanations like this and look for observational evidence to show which theory is true.

posted on Jul, 20 2010 @ 05:19 AM
link   
reply to post by electropop

Very good description of how "they" look at "time" compared to "us", meaning scientists and "dumb" people like me. I think I'm with you, but it will take some "time" to sink in.

[edit on 20/7/10 by Droogie]

posted on Jul, 20 2010 @ 05:30 AM
link   
reply to post by bigfatfurrytexan

Again, a very interesting reply. But lets consider that these scientists are correct and that "time" is leaking out of the universe. Would it be possible to travel within these temporal dimensions when time has vanished completely? Or will it not be possible considering the universe are in a state of entropy and stuck in a uniform way?

posted on Jul, 20 2010 @ 05:57 AM
link   

Again, a very interesting reply. But lets consider that these scientists are correct and that "time" is leaking out of the universe. Would it be possible to travel within these temporal dimensions when time has vanished completely? Or will it not be possible considering the universe are in a state of entropy and stuck in a uniform way?

I think you missed my point.

If the scientists are right, then by the very nature of what they propose the universe would be frozen by entropy. Why? Because entropy would cease the changes of state in the universe. Things that used to go from here to there would no longer to there. They would stay here. They could not change state.

Time is a by product. Time is nothing more than changes of state.

I see in this thread people referring to time not being "real". This may be so, depending on what you are defining "real" as. However, if time is not "real", then it certainly cannot be "leaking" because it does not exist.

Time has no energy and no mass. It is merely the by product of the passage of the cause and effect relationships in our universe.

posted on Jul, 20 2010 @ 06:09 AM
link   

Ok, thanks. I think I've gotten your point.

However, then it's basically what Arbitrageur says, that it makes no difference what theory is correct between this one and dark energy. The result will pretty much be the same... And that's essentially what the article talks about as well of course.

Dark energy theorize that the universe will expand indefinitely, but this theory says that the universe will come to a halt, so there's a difference. The result will ultimately be the universe freezing.

posted on Jul, 20 2010 @ 06:54 AM
link   

Ok, thanks. I think I've gotten your point.

However, then it's basically what Arbitrageur says, that it makes no difference what theory is correct between this one and dark energy. The result will pretty much be the same... And that's essentially what the article talks about as well of course.

Dark energy theorize that the universe will expand indefinitely, but this theory says that the universe will come to a halt, so there's a difference. The result will ultimately be the universe freezing.

For some people, this is hard to visualize. But here goes...

....consider tetraspace. The "4th dimension". In our 3d reality we have up and down, left and right, and forward and backward. Those three dimensions make up our reality. But imagine a 4th direction. Lets call it "in and out".

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/ef7a325ffef9.gif[/atsimg]

In such a scenario, we would not be able to percieve what existed further "in" or "out" from our current 3 dimensional reference. Just like a sphere passing through 2 dimensions: at first they would see a dot, which would grow into a large circle before shrinking back into a dot.

This would be a fine place to hide a bunch of "dark matter". It would also explain how gravity works, as gravity is an attractive force that pulls you "in". But that is a digression.

What i am getting at here is that this "dark matter" could simply be the natural result of a property coming from tetraspace. A place where matter can exist right next to us, without our detection.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join