It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Troktiko – Controversial Greek blog administrator is assassinated

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+16 more 
posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 05:03 AM
link   

Troktiko – Controversial Greek blog administrator is assassinated

domaingang.com

BREAKING NEWS – The administrator of the most popular political and social blog in Greece, “Troktiko” – the Rodent – was assassinated after being shot with 20 bullets.

Known for its controversial political articles, stigmatizing the former, right wing government of New Democracy... With an Alexa ranking of 869 globally, Troktiko.blogspot.com surpassed many international web sites in traffic.

...several individuals, dressed up and posing as security personnel rang their home doorbell...
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.ana.gr

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 05:03 AM
link   
What's the price of revealing political scandals on an internationally-acclaimed Greek blog? 20 bullets in cold blood.

The article reveals a sordid side of Greek life with criminal gangs controlling political movements and using party accounts to launder large sums. It seems Socrates Giolias, aged 37, got on the wrong side of them.

But the theory presented in this article is not necessarily cut and dry. Some are already asking whether this may be an officially-sanctioned killing in view of the way he exposed political and economic corruption.

This is very fresh news. Doubtless there will be a lot more to come in the coming hours and days.

R.I.P

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/5eba2591acb2.jpg[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/dcbc0b526f1a.jpeg[/atsimg]

domaingang.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 05:08 AM
link   
Sad to think we live in a world where people who say the truth can be gunned down in their own home. Humanity can be so ugly sometimes. I've never heard of this man but I shall be looking up his works now.

R.I.P

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 05:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Destroyed

Well said.

There is now a short news clip at the foot of the article. I'll see if we can get a Greek speaker to give us the gist, and any notable additional information.

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 05:28 AM
link   
I am somehow reminded uneasily of the early days of the French Revolution, when the spread of new, cheap publishing technology suddenly put home printing within the reach of almost anyone. Legions of pamhleteers churned out political tracts ranging from the elegant and rational to the crazed and poorly-spelled that were snapped up by a public hungry for truth (or at least bread). Radical broadsheets and booklets were swapped by aficionados of the underground, and men and women often lost their lives for their non-government-sanctioned "blogging."

Perhaps most famously, prim and elegant Charlotte Corday stuck a knife between Marat's ribs with surgical precision while he sat in his bathtub scribbling away, because she thought the feverish rantings of his leaflets were inflaming the nation beyond the point of no return.

Maybe in the final analysis, Marat was a beast and a scoundrel, and I intend to draw no paralells between the content of his "theories" ("A man who is starving has the right to slit another man's throat and devour his palpitating flesh" -Marat) and those of the poor young man who just died in Greece (about whom I know nothing). But Marat was, like it or not, the prototypcial "slain blogger." It is of little comfort that general chaos and the Great Terror followed fast upon his death that sweltering July evening...

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/a70e4512663b.jpg[/atsimg]

[edit on 7/19/10 by silent thunder]

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 05:39 AM
link   
reply to post by silent thunder

That was a superb post.

Having seen the masses take to the streets of Athens over economic austerity in recent months does make you wonder whether their will be a spontaneous outpouring of anger as a result of this turn of events. Hopefully those who have an in-depth knowledge of the scene will give us their thoughts. (Greek-speakers have been contacted.)

It will also be interesting to see the international reaction seeing as this reporter was so well known.

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 06:08 AM
link   
When they say "controversial" what does that actually mean?

And here:

According to his wife, who gave a shocking testimony to police, several individuals, dressed up and posing as security personnel rang their home doorbell to inform him that his car was being stolen; as soon as he followed them he was gunned down. The individuals escaped in a Honda Civic which was later found burned up.

dressed up and POSING - how do they know they were "posing"?

domaingang.com...

Now, here is an example of real CONTROVERSIAL "journalism":

Due to the constant flow of information regarding past and present political and financial scandals in Greece, Troktiko acquired a huge followship of readers but also apparently made enemies in the dark areas of anarchists and leftists that are known to be in direct contact with common criminals in Greece.

He was writing about FINANCIAL scandals, yet they say he pissed off anarchists and leftists who are in "direct contact" with common criminals in Greece...

Amazing how cunning these guys from DOMAINGANG are.

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 06:25 AM
link   
reply to post by DangerDeath

There is certainly a foul stench to this.

I've put the trotiko homepage through 'google translate' here.

You can click on all the links & read the whole thing in English.

(I'm wondering whether it was any particular investigation that led to this; maybe the site will provide clues.)

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 06:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by pause4thought

There is certainly a foul stench to this.

I've put the trotiko homepage through 'google translate' here.

You can click on all the links & read the whole thing in English.

(I'm wondering whether it was any particular investigation that led to this; maybe the site will provide clues.)

One thing is sure - they are trying to scare Reinhardt

Stop contaminating the kids, Socrats of the world!

Socrates like Socrates was teaching people how to think out of the box.

But, philosophers look forward to death. Nothing new under the sun. Death is the ultimate taboo for the ignorant.

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 06:50 AM
link   
Looking through a few Greek online papers I can see nothing yet.

I did see something that might suggest a Greek investigative journalist could find rich pickings:

Ex-Greek minister's friends and family 'spent 20 million Euros in tax-payers' money on sex lines'

The former Greek justice minister has been accused of running up a 20 million euro (£16.7 million) bill while in office by giving friends and family free mobile phones used to call premium-rate sex lines.

Some of those given a phone by Sotirios Hatzigakis were spending up to £10,000 a month in calls to the premium-rate lines, with names including Hot Pussycats, Bored Housewives and The Aphrodite Hotline, according to German media.

The spending was uncovered by official investigations into government spending as part of Greece’s emergency financial austerity measures...

Source

If that was uncovered via official channels and exposed in the MSM, what on earth was this guy digging up?

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 07:10 AM
link   
OK, here's one possibility:

The director of Theme 98.9 radio station and Troktiko e-blog Sokratis Golias was shot pointblank outside his home in the Athens suburb Iliupolis at 5.20 am this morning. Golias is a longtime associate of the famous journalist Makis Triandafilopoulos. He was arrested 6 months ago on charges of defamation. He claimed in his blog that another associate of Triandafilopoulos, George Psaras was CEO of the company Telepassport through which, it is believed, the black cash money of Siemens were transferred. Then it turned out that this is a coincidence of surnames. George Psaras sued Golias and he was arrested again early in the morning and taken from his home to the prosecutor. Then the police confiscated and the Troktiko blog computers.

It is not clear yet whether the murder of Sokratis Golias has something to do with the Siemens scandal. The police are still investigating the motives for the murder. The wife of the journalist is shocked and unable to testify. The victim is the father of a 2-year-old child.

Journalist investigating Siemens scandal was killed

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 07:30 AM
link   
reply to post by pause4thought

Yep, it is Siemens and all the corrupt politicians on their pay list.

But, no, what about those anarcho-criminals earlier mentioned?

Is it actually them?

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 07:38 AM
link   

This is one hot potato. Follow the money, as they say.

I don't like to say it, but it could also be a case of 'follow the computers'. If the Justice Minister is that corrupt it's not exactly unthinkable that someone in the police department passed on some of that data to who-knows-who.

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 07:41 AM
link   
In Serbia, several journalists have been killed during last 20 years.
Their assassins were never found.
Because it is the "system" that kills them.

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 07:49 AM
link   

Good point. It happens in many places:

List of journalists killed in Russia

It will be absolutely fascinating to see what Greek speakers/citizens say about all this.

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 07:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by pause4thought

Good point. It happens in many places:

List of journalists killed in Russia

It will be absolutely fascinating to see what Greek speakers/citizens say about all this.

Knowing Greeks, it could easily provoke fierce response. It looks as though someone wants it to happen.

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 09:45 AM
link   
At least they call it for what it is, an assassination when it happens in the US is usually call "accident" or "suicide", and we got many of those to account for.

I still can not shake out the death of the DC madam ("suicide").

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 12:55 PM
link   
Julian Assange take note!

RIP Mr Giolias - A martyr for the cause of truth and justice. We will never forget, and we will make them pay in blood. Is there a charitable fund for his family or anything that we can donate to? They might need supporting.

Parallex.

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 01:14 PM
link   
Greece is going through bad times at the moment, with blood on the streets, and the smell of cordite in the air.

The ancient foundations of this ancient civillisation rock and tremble to the turmoil.

All because the super-rich elite screwed the country, and the poor are being made to pay.

And those super-rich elite? They're powerful. They think they are above the law. I'm sure there's plenty guns-for-hires available, especially in light of the fact your usual wage packet is not guaranteed.

And those who want to expose the crimes of the super-rich elite better watch their backs as a result. They might get a bullet in them just like this poor man.

You can kill the man, but you can't kill the truth.

You call it assassination....I call it murder.

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 01:33 PM
link   
Still very little on the net on this story. Just come across the following article, however, which raises more questions than it answers:

ATHENS, Greece - A Greek journalist was gunned down Monday outside his home in Athens, in an attack police say is linked to a domestic terrorist group. Sokratis Giolias, 37, died after being shot more than 15 times before dawn in the capital's eastern neighborhood of Ilioupoli.

Police said bullet casings at the scene matched two 9-millimeter handguns used by the Greek terrorist group Sect of Revolutionaries. Sect of Revolutionaries emerged followed Greece's widespread rioting in December 2008, sparked by the police's fatal shooting of a teenage boy. The group has vowed to carry out attacks against police and the news media, which it accuses of helping corrupt business interests mislead public opinion.

Greek journalist gunned down, police cite terror

Am I missing something, or are the police claiming a group that "vowed to carry out attacks against police and the news media, which it accuses of helping corrupt business interests mislead public opinion" has just shot the biggest anti-corruption journalist in the country?!

Does anyone smell a rat?

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join