It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Thread Feature

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 03:46 AM
link   
Greetings Staff and Members,

Would it be possible to Possibly add the ability to do Polls on threads. I think it would greatly improve the interactivity and fun of the site. As long as people dont make stupid polls about stupid things then we should be ok.

Feel free to beat me up and throw my idea in the bin. To the mod's Discression i guess

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 04:16 AM
link   
Ahhh, good idea indeed!

I agree we will have a couple...indecent polls, but putting a cap on who can poll would good. Such as,

Must have at least 500 stars, 1000 posts, or 100 flags to poll.

Something that can make sure no trolls will make polls.

Flag for a good, fun, and contributing idea!

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 04:23 AM
link   
reply to post by gandhi

I actually cant believe it hasnt been introduced yet. I would love to see this added hopefully we can get a mod to comment soon.

And he/she will let us know the other mods opinion or if its even a plausible idea for this site.

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 04:23 AM
link   
reply to post by gandhi

Good idea but the requirement is a bit high - I am not a troll, I joined ATS in May and have 350 or so stars, 800 or so posts and 1 flag as I join in on the threads instead of starting them (want to make sure I know the ropes well first). Can I play?

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 04:27 AM
link   
reply to post by crazydaisy

Well daisy i would say you would have to start a few threads it doesnt take long to rack up 100 flags if that turns out to be the requirement. Just try and keep to good content that provokes thought
I made a few unworthy threads in my time here and make threads now only when an idea or concept grabs me.

And for those who are not making threads maybe we could just put another requirement alongside it for soo many stars.

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 04:31 AM
link   
reply to post by True-seer

I see no need for a restriction. The "20" posts should be enough.

Look at me, I don't even know how many flags I have...let me check...one second...

Flags: 5

I like to think I am not a troll, with that considered. I would be restricted from making a "poll" (Not that I want to.)

Some of us just like reading, and "maybe posting". I haven't made a thread in over...let me check....one second...

posted on 2/15/2008 @ 04:10 PM

I say, if polls are introduced, equality...please.

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 04:34 AM
link   
reply to post by adigregorio

Yes but we would also need a countermeasure against trolls making trivial polls that can cause distress and anger.

Equality is achieved through the post and flag count as am sure people dont want trolls abusing them.

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 04:42 AM
link   

Well, I would start by stopping the name calling. (No offense.)

An action can be judged, but a person...not so much. (Of course, just my opinion.)

Now!

What is stopping these people from making an "angry thread"?

(The 20 post thing.)

What happens when they make one of those threads?

(Shut down)

Why is the current plan not efficient for the "polls"?

(I understand the need to sell, but this "point" isn't exactly a selling one.)

I would stick with the entertainment value of the polls. I just don't want to feel "left out" because I am not as adept at creating topics as others. Since it is no where near as hard to make a poll

(Just my opinion.)

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 04:45 AM
link   

No offence taken, and yes it would have a Fun Factor.

The mods know better so hopefully we can get some input from them.

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 04:50 AM
link   

Whew! Glad to hear that I did not offend. My beliefs/opinions have a tendency to do that.

Also, just because it "works for me" doesn't mean it works for everyone. Hence the multi-disclaimer of (My Opinion)

Anyway! I think polls would be fun! Though, this thought did just occur. Isn't that pretty much what the "Stars" and "Flags" are doing?

If I make a thread called:

"Alien creature touched my bum!"

Each star I receive would be a "yay" vote. Perhaps, instead of a poll system, they could implement "anti-stars" (Not sure what to call them.)

They could be red, and could signify that someone disagrees about my bum touching.

PS My bum has never been caressed by a gray.

It was a reptilian!

EDIT (To fix: Mucho spelling errors.)

[edit on 7/19/2010 by adigregorio]

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 04:57 AM
link   

Anti-star
lol.

For example.

Do you believe in aliens?
Yes-65
No-12

Its a poll, you do know what a poll is right.

Sorry if that sounded rude but didnt think you got what i meant.

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 05:04 AM
link   

Alrighty!

And yes, I understood

When I see the word poll I think of this:

"Do you believe in Lil'Foot?"

o Yes
o No
o Unsure

Since the site has some rules as to "new threads" I feel that a poll system of this nature would "clog" the boards.

(Possible Remedy: A Polls Section)

Another remedy, that "Anti-Star" idea.

This way a "quality" thread can still be produced, and at the same time we get a poll included!

(I was thinking, two birds with one stonemason)

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 05:13 AM
link   

Polls should be attached and made available to any thread if the author wishes.

They would not clog up the boards with the requirements in-place, why am i so sure. because we have alot of respectful members who wont abuse it.

Its not like am asking for just a poll. Any and all polls must be accompanied by a very detailed and well worded article descibing the situation. It would be the same as usual except people would have a choice to vote so the author and others can get a wider perspective of members Views on a subject.

Correct me if i am wrong

Kind Regards
True-seer

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 05:16 AM
link   

Heh. Duh, adigregorio!

Would it be possible to Possibly add the ability to do Polls on threads.

Looks like I need to take some reading lessons! I see now this was your idea from the start, sorry to be foolish!

(I had horrible visions of "poll threads" with just a question and multiple choice answers.)

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 05:21 AM
link   

Oh sorry if i didnt make it clear, now that you see my concept what do you think.

And erm dont worry we all miss the obvious sometimes.

[edit on 19-7-2010 by True-seer]

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 05:32 AM
link   

I agree, adding the negative to the positive is only logical.

Right now we only get to know if folks like someone, this allows for "popularity contests." (IMO)

So if you are saying "add a poll option" during creation of a thread. I would say nay. I think it should be mandatory, both sides should be represented at the top of the page. (Just an opinion again)

Of course, this nixes my support for the "flag requirements" on posting a poll.

(We are on the same page though. More or less
)

EDIT (To Update)
Now that I think about it, why not add the "poll/Anti-star" thing to every post?

Using the same argument from above, right now only one side is represented. "The Good Side" (Stars)

[edit on 7/19/2010 by adigregorio]

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 05:34 AM
link   

The options for poll questions should be either yes or no. Only thing that a thread creator should be able to change is the question or questions of the poll.

new topics

top topics

join