It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Victim Treats His Mugger Right

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 01:51 AM
link   
This should be the correct forum for this thread. This story was really interesting and touching. I don't know how to explain it. Please read this!! I don't want to spoil anything. Just remember to have an open heart.

www.npr.org...

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 02:06 AM
link   
reply to post by Romantic_Rebel

That's a cool story, though I don't think I could ever respect someone like that enough to have dinner with them. There is never a valid reason to rob anyone, as here in America, especially NYC, you are never going to go hungry if you don't want to.

While I'm glad that this particular time worked out for the good, sadly I could say that I would be able to do the same. I just hope the Diaz fella stays safe. That could have turned into a dangerous situation if this crook was all cracked out or something.

--airspoon

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 02:20 AM
link   
I am pretty sure they shoot people in my town for this type of action.

He was lucky enough to have an armed criminal walk away with no injuries and only losing his wallet and he invites him back?

This is a one in a million story and anyone else trying this do-gooder business is going to have a really bad evening.

On second thought, this is a made up tale from some liberal that believes we should pay criminals to not break the law.

I recommend lots of proper training and a CCL.

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 02:20 AM
link   

I think that this is called COMPASSION..

I know it's very hard to be compassionate with a mugger, rapist et al but in a proportion of cases people seem to have 'lost' the plot and their ability to reason has left them.... The basic need for money to get what they need (?) overwhelmes the thought of right and wrong, should I do this or not.......
I guess this guy in the story may have made a Positive Difference to this teenage mugger and the Assailant was willing to Listen but BEWARE there is an element in society that DOES NOT want advice and will not listen and in that situation the Victim is in peril...

Regards

PurpleDOG UK

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 02:26 AM
link   
reply to post by airspoon

There is never a valid reason to rob anyone, as here in America, especially NYC, you are never going to go hungry if you don't want to.
I don't think the meaning in this story has anything to do with going hungry...the teen was acting out because there was no one around that was willing to show him how to act...

Diaz replied, "Well, haven't you been taught you should be nice to everybody?"

"Yea, but I didn't think people actually behaved that way," the teen said.

I bet the teen hasn't robbed anyone since...If Diaz had of just let the boy walk off, he'd have no wallet...more people would be robbed...and the boy would be doing it all in the cold!

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 02:30 AM
link   
he was lucky

a lot of these people are under drugs so its unpredictable

a lot of these people are just psychopaths or had some pretty traumatic experience that changed the way they see things

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 02:31 AM
link   
reply to post by CHA0S

I know what the "moral of the story" was, however that's still no excuse.
Second line.

--airspoon

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 02:40 AM
link   
It is a really sad commentary on the state of America when the majority of readers can't accept a good news story when they see it.

The fact of the matter is that no-one is all bad; even those who get caught doing something bad. Do a good deed to someone and you really can get them to drop their defenses and allow themselves to show their vulnerability or good side.

The protagonist in the story is a social worker -- probably a good one (which is rare IMHO). He probably saw the good potential in the would be robber, or just knew his stuff in terms of human dynamics.

Cummon people, cheer up. The world is not as bad as you see it. Your negativity is just feeding the loop.

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 04:36 AM
link   
What a cool story! I expect this wouldn't have worked for alot of mugging scenarios though. The fact that he was quite young may have had something to do with it.
I wouldn't be surprised if the young mugger had a good think and decided to get into community work himself. At least I like to think thats what happened. I hope he didn't go back to his no hope friends who ridiculed the social worker for being a sucker, and made the young man feel stupid for handing over his knife.

Starred and Flagged cheers, proof there are still good people out there.

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 04:50 AM
link   
Not saying this did not happen, but it all seems to be played out all too well. It reminds me of a feel-good movie that would never happen in real life.

Not saying it didnt happen, just saying it struck me as not very genuine/

I could be wrong though, and probably am. I just got that feeling is all.

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 05:11 AM
link   

I'm reminded of my time formerly working as a case worker for The Salvation Army. It wasn't long before I turned from a 'bleeding heart' into a 'conservative'. I found that most people that came in seeking help were not genuine 'victims of society', but were victims of their own poor choices. Ego driven, many chose to party hardy and then wonder, at the end of the month, where their rent money went to, etc.

Regardless, I have to commend Diaz. Another thing I learned in the TSA was that all money/properties belong to God, anyway. We are just stewards of material things during our stay in this existence. Given my experience with addiction, you'd think I know better, but many times, when a drunk would come up to me on the street and ask for a "couple of bucks for a sandwich", and knowing full well that he was going to use it for booze, I would give it to him. When the inner voice (the Holy Spirit) told you to do something, you obeyed. It is not ours to question God's purpose.

I know that that sounds pretty mushy in light of the fact that these days I fully believe in individualism - "an armed society is a polite society", etc. However, life is multidiminsional. It is possible to be forgiving and charitable without being a sap and being taken advantage of.

[edit on 19-7-2010 by sparky11]

top topics

join