It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

S.C. Senate Candidate Aims To 'Get America Back To Work'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 09:53 PM
link   

S.C. Senate Candidate Aims To 'Get America Back To Work'

Manning, South Carolina (CNN) -- South Carolina Democratic Senatorial candidate Alvin Greene urged voters Sunday to "get South Carolina and America back to work" in his first major public speech since surprising the political world last month by capturing his party's nomination.

S.C. Senate candidate aims to 'get America back to work'

"My campaign is about ... moving South Carolina and America forward," the 32-year-old Greene told a friendly audience in his hometown of Manning during a brief, halting speech that at times jumped from one topic to the next.

The speech, given at a meeting of the local chapter of the NAACP, was voters' first glimpse of Greene's campaign vision as he mounts an unlikely challenge against Republican incumbent Sen. Jim DeMint.

"South Carolina and America cannot afford six more years of my opponent," Greene said of DeMint. "We cannot let my opponent keep this country hostage."

Greene, while touching on a variety of issues including the state's education system, unemployment numbers and road projects, did not offer specific ideas for how he would make changes in those areas.

There has been an awful lot of speculation in the press and news media recently about the qualifications of Mr Greene to represent his state in the Senate. His lack of experience in any political field or office; his inability or unwillingness to discuss his own qualifications, background and encounters with law enforcement, as well as questions about how an unemployed veteran came by the $10,440.00 Filing fee to place his name on the ballot, all come to mind.

His speech today before firends and supporters at the local NAACP office in Manning, SC will not do much, I am afraid to, either give comfort to supporters or encouragement to detractors.

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 10:01 PM
link   
reply to post by lightseeker

Since when should a person be qualified to hold political office? I always thought average people should be representing me. Anyone that is "qualified" in my opinion is an advocate to keep things the same as they have always been.

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 10:07 PM
link   
reply to post by ExPostFacto

There's only one qualification necessary in my book. A proper understanding of the US Constitution.

Something I highly doubt Mr. Greene possesses with his talk of "putting people back to work"

The government's job is to protect my property rights and my person. It is not to "put me back to work"

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 10:23 PM
link   
This man and his new political career is fascinating to me. I would love to hear from those who voted for him and get their take on his qualifications and platform.

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 10:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by ExPostFacto
reply to post by lightseeker

Since when should a person be qualified to hold political office? I always thought average people should be representing me. Anyone that is "qualified" in my opinion is an advocate to keep things the same as they have always been.

my sentiment, too. throw the career crooks out on their backsides and bring in the common man.

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 12:24 AM
link   
What, no lawyers, attorneys, judges?
My stars, how will we survive?
lol, things are getting interesting.

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 04:13 AM
link   
Unemployed army veteran who saved more than $10,000 for a filing fee (an fee amount which is just totally absurd in my opinion) wins the democratic primary because at least one voter thought he was actually this guy.

You know, if a 'common man' like Alvin Greene can win this, it's proof positive of one of two things;A) the system works or, B) most voters are ignorant.

Extra option C: The Republican incumbant was just that bad.

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 03:23 PM
link   
reply to post by ExPostFacto

Since when should a person be qualified to hold political office? I always thought average people should be representing me. Anyone that is "qualified" in my opinion is an advocate to keep things the same as they have always been

O.K., so let me ask you this: How many "average people" can you name from among the original framers of either the Declaration of Independence or the Constitution? How many from the first Continental Congress? Name me two " Average People' who have ever been elected to the Congress or Senate who ever got anything done. And just what in the world do you mean by " Average" anyway? I want someone representing me that is brighter and more tenacious then I am. Average? It takes an above-average person to get anything accomplished in Congress.

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 03:35 PM
link   
reply to post by links234

LOL. I think you are on to something, there, Links. If it was a contest between Alvin Greene and Al Green the latter would win hands down.

Just think, if Al Green was elected to the Senate he could start off every long-winded debate or filibuster with a rousing rendition of
" Let's Stay Together". Plus, since he is also an ordained minister, he could double as the Senate Chaplain and save the "average" taxpayer some money.

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 09:59 PM
link   
This guy is just as qualified for public office as Barack Obama. If a miracle happens and he wins the Senate Seat, maybe he will immediately announce he is running for President, just like Obama?

Them Democrats know how to pick em!

top topics

join