It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

3.5 MAG Quake In Oahu,HI.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 08:53 PM
link   
Lot's of chatter on "Twitter" on this one, just in, not sure of the history of Oahu Quakes.....

Google Maps shows upper Palolo... #HIQuake half a minute ago via web Reply Retweet .
lazarus2000 RT @AH7E: USGS reports a 3.5 magnitude earthquake struck at 3:27 p.m. local time Sun: http://(link tracking not allowed)/cN0Kgw #HIQuake less than 20 seconds ago via TweetDeck Reply Retweet .

sgtgary In all my years in Hawaii, I don't think I ever experienced an Oahu earthquake #HIquake
less than 20 seconds ago via Twitter for iPhone
Reply Retweet .
leekai99 USGS #HIquake data /39v7772
less than a minute ago via Twitter for iPhone
Reply Retweet .
StarletShay Magnitude 3.5 - Oahu Region, Hawaii. http://(link tracking not allowed)/bW1smk ハワイ・地震
1 minute ago via TweetDeck
Reply Retweet .
USGSted Minor quake OAHU REGION, HAWAII Jul-19 01:27 UTC, 5.4 quake-tweets/min, info: http://(link tracking not allowed)/ca00G3
1 minute ago via TweetDeck
Reply Retweet .
johngarcia Thx! RT @jenHI: @johngarcia: Any other locations felt the #HIQuake? RT @MarnelliJoy: just felt the shake in Pearl City too // Manoa felt it!
2 minutes ago via Echofon
Reply Retweet .
MahinaMK RT @thestuffguy: @johngarcia @MiwaOgletree is.gd... #HIQuake
2 minutes ago via web
Reply Retweet .
Cynthia_Hoskins RT @MalikaDudley: #HIQuake ... 3.5 in East Oahu.
2 minutes ago via Seesmic for Android
Reply Retweet .
jenHI @johngarcia: Any other locations felt the #HIQuake? RT @MarnelliJoy: just felt the shake in Pearl City too // Manoa felt it!
2 minutes ago via UberTwitter
Reply Retweet .
MiwaOgletree So it was you? RT @LaurieCicotello: Blame the kimchee!! #HIQuake
2 minutes ago via TweetDeck
Reply Retweet .
AH7E USGS reporting a magnitude 3.5 earthquake struck at 3:27 p.m. local time Sunday, 2 miles ESE of Honolulu. http://(link tracking not allowed)/cN0Kgw #HIQuake #fb
2 minutes ago via web
Reply Retweet .
LindaL96825 I was making reservations for CA on Hawaiian Air to LA - was this a sign??? LOL I'm ready to rumble! #HIQuake
3 minutes ago via web
Reply Retweet .
LaurieCicotello Blame the kimchee!! #HIQuake
3 minutes ago via UberTwitter
Reply Retweet .
808Talk Many just felt a small "shake" or "earthquake" across Oahu. Follow more via #HIQuake
13 minutes ago via web
Reply Retweet 1 Retweet .
MicheledDutton Didnt feel it! RT @AH7E:

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 08:56 PM
link   
Ok, here's some interesting info on Oahu quakes, seems they dont happen that frequently....

"According to the 1986 catalog "Earthquakes felt on Oahu, Hawaii, and their intensities," by Doak Cox, University of Hawaii Environmental Center, August 1986. The compilation lists 113 felt and reported earthquakes from 1859 to 1986; so there were between one and two reported events a year. My guess is that that rate has continued to the present day. But those are just events that can be located. There are quite a few small shocks which don't even show up on the Pacific Tsunami Warning Center network and therefore which cannot be located. For example, eighteen months ago, a small shock shook my house on a ridge of the Koolau Mountains above east Honolulu. The same event was felt over the mountains in Waimanalo, but it never made it into the catalog (my guess is that it had a Mercalli intensity of about II".

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 09:01 PM
link   
That's just a short distance from Diamond Head Crater, you don't suppose?????

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 09:04 PM
link   
reply to post by freetree64

That's not good!

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 09:08 PM
link   
It has been classified as extinct for 150,000 years, but wasn't the coelacanth thought to be extinct until they caught one off the coast of Africa???? Hmmmm....

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 09:11 PM
link   
Local news story here...

www.kitv.com...

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 09:18 PM
link   
recent quakes in Hawaii
... Confused as the quake shows on the link above, but did not here:
O'ahu

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 09:33 PM
link   
Well before anyone gets too bungee pantied
lets realize this is only one quake.
IF they "the quakes" start comin in at a 3. or 5. then worry.. not allot but a concerned look on yer faces
Ya know

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 09:35 PM
link   
Not raining on your parade or thread or anything but don't earthquakes of that magnitude happen everyday somewhere on the planet?

I'm just wondering how big a deal an earthquake of that size really is, and not with pure conspiratorial speculation around the answer.

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 09:55 PM
link   
In Hawaii region a 3.5 really isn't anything to write home about... imho!

The building code regs have even been upped to take in potential seismic events, as evidenced in this essay from Uni of Hawaii

www.soest.hawaii.edu...

[edit on 18-7-2010 by MoorfNZ]

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 11:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by GeechQuestInfo
Not raining on your parade or thread or anything but don't earthquakes of that magnitude happen everyday somewhere on the planet?

I'm just wondering how big a deal an earthquake of that size really is, and not with pure conspiratorial speculation around the answer.

Would you believe 49,000 a year between 3.0-3.9? That's 134 a day.

www.digitalgeology.net...
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/169ea60ed844.png[/atsimg]

And as the OP shows, not everyone can even feel that magnitude, only some feel it.

[edit on 18-7-2010 by Arbitrageur]

new topics

top topics

join