It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Have scientists developed 'teleportation' at the atomic level

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 16 2004 @ 03:59 PM
link   
Look, I'm not even going to pretend that I understand all of this... But, if I'm reading this article correctly, scientists have been able to transport parts from one atom to another:
www.local6.com...

Does this work on the same principle as 'quantum tunnelling'? I have to admit that I'm a little confused by the way the article was written.

[edit on 16-6-2004 by onlyinmydreams]

posted on Jun, 16 2004 @ 04:39 PM
link   
They did not transfer parts of one particle to another. They 'transferred' the state of one particle to another via quantum entanglement. This amazing discovery will revolutionize communications, as entangled particles have the same state independently of distance (even if the two particles are at the edges of the universe, they still affect one another instantly).

This tells me that the fabrique of the universe holds great secrets that we are unaware of...

posted on Jun, 16 2004 @ 04:48 PM
link   
Thanks for the clarification. I knew that my description was wrong, but I couldn't think of the right way to put it.

posted on Jun, 16 2004 @ 04:57 PM
link   
Awesome......
cant wait to send picture messages to my mate on omicron perscei 8

This means we could communctate with et instantlaneously
(if they had the same technology)

posted on Jun, 16 2004 @ 05:19 PM
link   
Could this be a step in creating teleportation?

posted on Jun, 16 2004 @ 06:04 PM
link   

posted on Jun, 17 2004 @ 12:00 PM
link   

posted on Jun, 20 2004 @ 04:01 AM
link   
I actually heard about this on ABC radio news, just this week. I'll edit this later with the proper link.

posted on Jun, 20 2004 @ 07:07 AM
link   
Well this is very far off from physically transporting a whole object consisting of multiple atoms, but it does have enormous applications for communication and computing. This is very exciting. In theory if this technology were developed into physical technology then you could communicate with anyone anywhere in realtime, distance would have no meaning.

d1k

posted on Jun, 20 2004 @ 07:10 AM
link   
From this announcement how long do you think it will be to at least affect computing and communications for the public?

And let me get this straight, no matter where the atoms are, one here one at the other end of the universe they are some how connected? We can transfer the state of an atom to another regardless of distance? I don't see how this is possible. Bloody amazing

posted on Jun, 20 2004 @ 07:20 AM
link   
[edit on 20-10-2004 by antipigopolist]

posted on Jun, 20 2004 @ 08:16 AM
link   
I have a question though...and pardon me if it's stupid, because I'm pert near at ground zero on this type of science.

Could a person's reality be "duped" by this? If the "state" of a particle can be transferred to another particle that originally was not in that state, then isn't it possible that this could be used to completely transpose a false reality on to a receptor?

If so, that's kind of scary!

[edit on 6-20-2004 by Valhall]

posted on Oct, 2 2004 @ 08:09 AM
link   
I came across an article about this subject in Popular Science magazine while waiting to get my hair cut yesterday morning...

Of course I later did a search here at ATS to see if I could find out more!

Well, the article in the first post of this thread is no longer available to view online but I googled up this:

Signal Travels Farther and Faster Than Light
www.jlab.org...

It is possible [probable] that my thought has been discussed here somehwere before, but my search of recent threads didn't find anything.

Could this phenomenon explain the endless instances of twins/triplets etc.. claiming that they 'know' what their siblings are thinking - regardless of their individual location?

This connection has always fascinated me, and I am interested in an explanation that has a firm scientific foundation.

Any thoughts?

illimey

posted on Oct, 2 2004 @ 08:55 AM
link   
Spooky-action-at-a-distance. Einstein couldn't stand the idea.

posted on Oct, 2 2004 @ 12:14 PM
link   
Just a few months ago, I had a debate with some scientists on quantum entanglement allowing information transmission at infinite velocity, however they contested, that information cannot be sent faster than the speed of light, and that the quantum entanglement CANNOT be used to transmit information. How wrong were they.

Quantum entanglement is the dynamics of the soul, and our subspace abilities(psychic) and the spiritual realm, where space and time do not exist(refer to my sig) It is how we interconnect and interact with the universal consciousness and the global consciousness, and it is through the interface of mind, matter and energy, that our reality manifests.
While quantum teleportation maybe breakthrough physics for science, for the seers and yogis worth their salt, this is only common sense.

[edit on 2-10-2004 by Indigo_Child]

posted on Oct, 3 2004 @ 02:12 AM
link   
Im sure that for quantum teleporting it did require information to be communicated by classical methods to collapse the wave function of the particle?

posted on Oct, 3 2004 @ 02:22 AM
link   
About a year ago I read that scientists in Australia had transported a laser light or a photon across a large distance. Wish I could remember more, but that is it.
TUT

posted on Oct, 3 2004 @ 06:14 PM
link   
I'm glad teleportation isn't just a theory. I do have many questions about it though (for example if something were to be copied to another place, would it be the original thing, or just a copy).

It'll take a long time, I'm sure. But long-range teleportation will have many benefits (no more 12 hour plane flights).

posted on Oct, 3 2004 @ 06:19 PM
link   
it'll be just like cloning... we'll be able to do it but no one will dare risk it on a human..
after all
what is basically happening is that, (an analogy) is that you're telling someone which direction your pen is pointing, and they are turning their pen to face the same way..
if you do this for a whole pencil case, does that now mean his pencil case and yours are the same?
I dont think anyone will ever be brave enough to try it on humans... what if it goes wrong
its an interesting concept, and we can perform it semi-consistently on an individual basis, but it's a long way yet before we can consider some of the more sci-fi ideas people attribute to teleportation

posted on Oct, 3 2004 @ 11:44 PM
link   
thats where the really confusing but really important stuff comes in.
When u get teleported you will get destroyed in the process. Will the quantum identical of u be the same person ie. same conciousness or will it be another 'conciousness'? I think it would be different.
THink that if u had a quantum copy of uself and u didnt get destroyed, how could you be in two peoples heads at the same time? only one is the real one and it is obviously the original ( which gets destroyed in teleportation)

top topics

join