It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Letter to representative - let your voice be heard

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 05:38 PM
link   
Dear [insert representative],

I am writing this in response to the ongoing disaster taking place in the Gulf Of Mexico. As a citizen of the [state], I am concerned with the current news and events that have been and are still happening in the region. For months now, British Petroleum has turned a blind eye to the health and welfare of the men and women working diligently on the beaches and in the waters. As well, they have disregarded federal mandates to stop using the chemical dispersant, Corexit, and continue to this day to spray this known toxen into the waters, over the people working the waters and endangering the wild life and sea life in the area.

It is known that several companies have come forward with bioremediation chemicals and techniques, such as TOI from India offering Oilzapper, but these offerings have continuously been refused. Why this has continued is beyond my comprehension, but I am certain that there have been claims made for and against bioremediation. However, as a tax paying citizen of the United States, I emplore you to please consider its use.

The current attempts are proven failures, as the oil continues to wash up on shores along the coastline, from Texas to Florida, as well as continue to float on top of and below the waters, as if evident in much of the recent imagry being released. Corexit is a widely banned chemical agent and its long term affects are proven to be fatal in many cases.

Again, I ask that you consider my wishes and push for a new solution to this problem.

Thank you.

Sincerely,
[name]
[city, state]

------------------------------------------

Ok, so this is the letter that I am sending to everyone that represents me in the House and Senate and also to the White House. Please feel free to copy and paste if you like, or make changes or write your own. However, I think it is time that every person in the US send in a letter to their representatives and let them know that this is something we want to see changed.

Below are links to contact sites/forms for the WH, Senate and Congress. Just find your guys and send them a letter. I am certain that there is a chance that they will just delete the emails, but what if a few of them read them. What if the WH actually gets enough emails to make this an issue. What if they listen to the people for a change. They may claim this as their own idea, but whatever gets the job done is all that matters.

White House contact form

US Senate

US Congress

For those of you concerned from outside the US, you are still a citizen of this planet and many of you like to vacation in the southern coastal states. Please add your own spin to this with a letter to the WH and show the POTUS that this concerns more than just a few million people on the gulf coast of the US.

Thank you for reading.

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 05:39 PM
link   
Kudos

But it's 'BP' and not British petroleum anymore.

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 05:52 PM
link   
It has been a long time since I believed politicians do what 'we' say.

I find it hard to believe that anyone still thinks they serve the people who vote them into office.

I respect you for trying but writing and talking to so called representatives will achieve nothing. They will vote the way their party says (or their lobbyi$t$). Just look what happened in the bailout situation. They voted for the bailouts, people got a little angry but nothing really happened. They can and will do exactly as they wish.

Politicians are there to manage the public opinion not to serve. They are there to provide the illusion of participation by representation.

At least you are trying, and I really do respect that.

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 06:27 PM
link   
Thanks for your comments and support. I am well aware, as stated, that sending an email to the politico may do nothing at all. It seems more often than not that they choose a path for this country that is polar opposite of the choice the people cry out for.

However, there is enough rhetoric and outrage on this forum alone to know that people are fed up. The worst thing that can happen by sending them a letter is that they ignore it. Ideally, they will read it. Somewhere in reality, one or two might just mention it.

Its worth a shot, even if the shot is filled with rocksalt.

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 06:37 PM
link   
It can't hurt to whip off an email to your congressman. If nothing else it can give you a feeling that at least you've done something. I emailed my congressman using the template provided by wheresthetruth above.

On a side note there are a couple of typographical errors in that draft that should be corrected before you send it: toxen should be toxin, emplore should be implore, imagry should be imagery, affects should be effects.

These may mean nothing to you, but I think that proper spelling can make a difference in the way that you are perceived.

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 09:55 PM
link   
Done!

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 07:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by Starbug3MY
It can't hurt to whip off an email to your congressman. If nothing else it can give you a feeling that at least you've done something. I emailed my congressman using the template provided by wheresthetruth above.

This is precisely my point. You send off a letter or an email. It only took a few seconds; it was a template. You then sit back with a warm feeling inside knowing that you have done your part. You have added your weight of opinion to the process. Your opinion carries no weight.

These mechanisms exist for this purpose. After sending the email you do not have the same level of energy, anger or motivation to influence change that you did have before sending it? No, it acts as a pacifier. NOTHING will come of it. It never has.

Politicians are there to manage and carry public opinion. The public believe that they are there to serve.

People have no way of influencing 'important' decisions. NONE.

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 08:12 AM
link   
No it won't make much of a difference, but imagine Congress being deluged with emails from most of the ATS members, not linked to ATS of course. If everyone here asked just 1 or 2 people to respond
it just might get noticed.

top topics

join