It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hello from under the sea!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 02:51 PM
link   
Hello,

I just joined ATS after reading the Dawsonville, GA thread, how fascinating indeed! I'm an avid cave diver and am interested in exploring underwater man-made overhead structures.

The Dawsonville site sounds intriguing though I certainly have no interest in exploring around radiation. I read through the complete referenced ATS link and there are some fascinating history, pics, old and recent videos. I did not find any indication of folks actually diving inside although a few posts alluded to "friend of a friend" heresay.

I'd be curious of any other abandoned man-made underwater overhead exploration areas that others know of. My wife and I just recently revisited True Blue Quarry in West Rutland, VT on 05 July 2010. This site is an old marble quarry which features an open water quarry with several old cars and it has a number of large mine shafts for cave diving. We first dove it in October 2008 as part of a weekend Vermont folliage diving trip. An excerpt from our previous trip report (including pictures), "We checked out the quarry area above ground for quite a while as we eventually found the airshaft opening. We were the only folks around and sadly it is apparent that this area has become a local dumping ground. Regardless of this, the beauty of the quarry shone through. We entered and exited on the wooden ladder into the opening of the airshaft into the mine tunnel. The water was 43 F at surface but at a depth of 20' it dropped to 41 F where it remained throughout. The tunnel opening began at 90' as we immediately found a gold line going into the tunnel and maintained a depth of 100' throughout. We followed the line into the tunnel for a 350' penetration. The tunnel is wide as the walls and ceiling are sharply cut marble. There are a number of old mining equipment including some wooden rail tracks, a shovel and various rusted debris along the bottom. The visibility was 50' or better! We turned after 14 minutes as our total dive was 35 minutes which included 8 minutes for stops."

Might other folks also enjoy exploring underwater man-made overhead structures?

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 02:53 PM
link   
I'm not much of a water person but maybe my outlook might change if i had some cool scuba gear to use! might be pretty fun actually! welcome

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 03:20 PM
link   
Hello Endtime Warrior,

And thanx for the reply! I can't figure out how to post some pics on here or I would.

However the cave diving is much more advanced than general recreational open water diving since one can not directly ascend. This means that one must solve any issues in the water. There are a number of courses to proceed. For cave diving we have redundent gear including a high powered primary light, 2 back-up lights, a drysuit, double tanks, reels, etc.

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 03:36 PM
link   
Hey and Welcome to ATS ScubaGypsy!!

Originally posted by ScubaGypsy
And thanx for the reply! I can't figure out how to post some pics on here or I would.

First off, this link should be able to help you out with your problem of posting images.

ATS Media Guide - upload pics, embed pics, manage albums, avatar & sig, mini-profile backgrounds

It's definitely worth a look.

Anyway I hope you enjoy your time here and I'll cya around.

new topics

top topics

join