It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SOCom says no military information on stolen laptops

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 01:09 PM
link   

SOCom says no military information on stolen laptops

www.tampabay.com

Earlier this year, the U.S. Department of Defense awarded the private company, iGov, a $450 million contract to supply mobile technology services linking special operations troops all over the world.

Tom Walsh, iGov's vice president of contracts, said Tuesday that the company is cooperating with authorities. He would not discuss the March 6 iGov break-in, which remained secret for months until Monday, when St. Petersburg Times reporters found it mentioned in a court document.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.orlandosentinel.com
news.yahoo.com

Mod Edit: Review This Link: Instructions for the Breaking News Forums: Copy The Exact Headline

[edit on 7/18/2010 by semperfortis]

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 01:09 PM
link   
Tell me this isn't fishy.

First of all this theft happened back on March 6th 2010 in Tampa Florida but only made it to the news in July because a St. Petersburg Times reporters found it mentioned in a court document.

The stolen items consist of a few thousand laptops which took seven men (caught on video) a total of nine hours to steal. Has anyone ever heard of a 9 hour heist?

SOCOM officials claim that there was no sensitive information on these laptops. Then why would you keep this hush hush?

The laptops are valued at over 3,000 a piece. So you have over a thousand laptops missing that are 3 thousand dollars a pop. You do the math.

You would think this was news worthy back in March.

www.tampabay.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

Mod Edit: Review This Link: Instructions for the Breaking News Forums: Copy The Exact Headline

[edit on 7/18/2010 by semperfortis]

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 01:15 PM
link   
Knowing how government contracts work, if those laptops cost the taxpayer $3000 each, then it's a safe bet they can be had from Dell for maybe $500 - $600 each.

That's all the government do, take a standard off the shelf product, give it a miitary designation / catalogue number, then pay a military contractor huge sums to supply them.

Government contracts, nice work if you can get it.

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 01:30 PM
link   
I normally would agree with the laptops being a Dell but the article say's that they were Panasonic Toughbooks. Those can be high dollar laptops.

Panasonic Toughbook

I know how the Governments like to cheat the taxpayers but I think there is more to this. It's the secrecy that should alarm people. I never trust anyone with a secret.

new topics

top topics

join