It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Israel's secret new weapon?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 11:38 AM
link   
I realize the name of the article sounds like this should be in the weaponry forum, but since this is discussing the technology and it's applications I put it here, plus it is the title of the article. Mods if this needs to be moved, please do. Thanks.

We are all familiar with how technologies both new and old have been forever changing the battlefields and the ways in which wars are waged. We now have unmanned drones patrolling the skies and even aircraft that are seemingly invisible to radar. Many of these stealth aircraft can cost upwards of $5 billion each and can be cost prohibitive even to major superpowers, and thus far missiles continue to show up on radar. Until now.

These days, we are always reading about something being invented that science fiction spoke of many years ago. Now, a special paint that is currently being developed by an Israeli company called Nanoflight, is claimed to make anything that it covers, including aircraft, missiles, etc. more difficult to detect by radar. Sound hard to believe? The company explains how this works as thus:

How does it work? In order to locate objects, the radar transmitter sends out electromagnetic waves. When these waves hit an object, they are scattered in all directions, with some of them being bounced back to the radar itself. Regular signal reception indicates the existence of an object.

The nanotechnology developed envelopes the object, absorbs the radio waves emitted by the radar, and releases them as heat energy scattered in space. In doing so, the material disguises the object, making it difficult to identify by radar.

The company has stated that they are working on other aspects of this material, that will work on the infrared spectrum. This could render night vision goggles useless if this material were to be applied to men and materiels.

Of course as with any military application, there can be civilian uses as well. The company states that this material could be applied to normal objects in order to decrease things such as air pollution.

Source:
Ynet

If this 'paint' works the way they say, the possibilities are endless in both military and civilian applications. Of course, it would be my guess the Israeli's and possibly the US will be all that would have access to it, then the US probably already has something similar. But if this were to make it out of Israel, can you imagine the implications? The US military in particular is extremely reliant on night vision for their operations.

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 11:58 AM
link   
I guess they've been using ferrous oxide to absorb radio frequency (RF) for some time 20+ years. I'd like to get a pail of this new stuff for my car to avoid speeding tickets.

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 12:29 PM
link   
Once Israel has something, China is soon to have it too. For all the U.S is a big allie of Israel, the problem is the “I-Steal” aspects of Israel have shown no loyalty, to U.S military secrets, in the past. www.independent.co.uk...
I guess if Israel is developing this, then it may not be accused of stealing when an international rival buys their secrets. But that’s hardly the point: i.e. this technology is more likely to be used against U.S troops, than for them (at least in the medium term).

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 12:40 PM
link   
Fascinating! I knew about the radar absorbing paint that has been in use for may years as stated, but this sounds like something completely new.

Fortunately in Ireland we have little need of radar absorbing paint to deal with speed guns/cameras as they are few and far between - so far - no doubt that will change.

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 02:06 PM
link   
So true.
If this stuff ever makes it so we can have it for our autos, that would be great.

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 06:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by gotredeemed
I guess they've been using ferrous oxide to absorb radio frequency (RF) for some time 20+ years. I'd like to get a pail of this new stuff for my car to avoid speeding tickets.

Just rub all the paint off. Soon enough your car will be covered in ferrous oxide.

top topics

join