It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Burka Ban Ruled Out As 'Rather Un-British'

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 11:29 AM
link   
sky news report

The immigration minister has ruled out a ban on wearing the burka in public saying it would be "rather un-British". Damian Green said it would be "undesirable" for Parliament to try to pass such a law as it goes against the UK's "tolerant and mutually respectful society".

What do you think about this issue ?
From what i've read the polls seem to think that 69 percent of the UK want it banning.
which i know is based from a survey of people ? should we ban it in public places.

I have been reading the sky news comments and there clearly alot of people who think it needs to be banned in public for safety and fairness to everyone esle in the country.

I think a ban in public should be implimented if not just ban it in shops and places where seeing a customers face is needed. e.g a bank or supermarket.

[edit on 18-7-2010 by thecrow001]

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 11:35 AM
link   
reply to post by thecrow001

I don’t think the burka should be banned because it is part of one’s religious dress. If we ban the Burka what next, the hihab, turbans then the crucifix. By banning it you are effectively targeting one religious group that is direct discrimination which understandably would only anger the people of that ethnic group. You would be stripping them of their religious identity and impinging on their civil rights (as much as i hate civil rights we have to abide by them), it restricts their ability to practice their religion. Yes its fair to ban it were appropriate such as in a class room or as a nurse but not for the general public were the reason for banning it is for a secular agenda over a practical one.

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 11:40 AM
link   
reply to post by kevinunknown

your right in what your saying, however if theres a poll about this and people wanted it banning should we ban it as we still live in a democracy.

what do you side with then the law of our democracy or human rights ?

I think in certain places burkas need banning. Imagine working in a bank and some one turns up looking like that with there face all covered, it sends shivers down your spine to think they could have a gun ready to rob the bank.

I think we need something more than a ban or dont ban situation as the problem is so much more complex.

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 11:42 AM
link   
With regards to any ban on the burka we must consider the fact that it isnt going to be a ban on 'the burka' but a ban on wearing an opaque veil over your face in public SO........ no more black block at protests. They would just be able to arrest / remove you straight away on the grounds that you are already breaking the law by hiding your face.

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 11:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Arkady

Breaking the law simply for hiding your face is ridiculous, I am hopping a guessing that this law you are talking about is only targeted at protests otherwise it would be seen as a ban on the Burka.

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 11:51 AM
link   
reply to post by kevinunknown

Well the problem isn't with the dress itself, its the fact that it conceals the identity of the wearer, meaning a terrorist could be underneath it and nobody would ever know. It's a matter of security not of penalizing a religious head garb. I myself am i favor of a ban on Burkhas(?) because it is a security hazard.

[edit on 18-7-2010 by Enf0rc3r]

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 12:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Enf0rc3r

A Burka ban is foolishness. So what next, are they going to ban the winter hats that cover your face.

I keep hearing people try to justify this as these women being forced to wear them by their husbands. That is ridiculous. Even if some are forced to where them by their husbands, it doesnt give you a legal right to ban everyone from wearing them.

When did everyone get a bug up their but about women wearing Burkas? I dont get it. I dont like women all covered up, because you cant really get any eye candy, but I am sure as hell not going to ban them covering up.

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 12:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Enf0rc3r

So what about winter hats that cover your face to shield you from the cold? Should we ban those? Hey maybe we should ban all hats.

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 12:30 PM
link   
I think an outright ban is wrong.

What if they tried to ban spaghetti strapped shirts? Or flip flops?

They should however be required to remove the burka when attempting to get services such as government ID or court or anything such as that.

You know for identity reason. Other than that, what's the big deal? It's just a piece of cloth over ones face.

The only logical reason to Ban the burqua would be to discriminated against muslims. Which seems to be part of the overal propaganda campaign against Islam..

~Keeper

[edit on 7/18/2010 by tothetenthpower]

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 12:32 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

I agree.

What is next? They going to ban scarves?

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 12:38 PM
link   
I have no problem with anyone weaing a burka. It doesn't bother me or affect me in the slightest. It causes me no harm.

I don't think it should be banned outright.

But I could understand it not being worn during passport photographs (I don't know whether it is actually allowed) or being worn whilst driving.

Other than that, does it really bother people that much to the extent that they want it banned outright?

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 12:39 PM
link   
I believe the persons wearing that pretentious 7th century crap are rather un British. I guess the gene pool on that island has finally run its course. Conquered the world and now two steps from Sharia.

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 12:40 PM
link   
reply to post by shai hulud

Somewhat of an exaggeration there.

Do you even live in the UK?

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 12:41 PM
link   
Before Burka Bans were being discussed, 0.0001% of the European Population wore them. It was a non-issue. Ever since the media has been sensationalizing it, the amount of Burka wearers has increased to 0.01%, figuratively peaking. Attempting to criminalize it is what makes it an issue in the first place. And then people wear Burkas out of spite. And suddenly wearing Burkas become a symbol of Freedom.

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 12:45 PM
link   
I agree with the BAN fully,

1:Anyone could hide under the Burka

2:I hope more countries will ban the Burkas

And ATS Members support a closed family?

Shame on ATS!

link   
reply to post by Skyfloating

Much like bank robbers became societal heroes back in the 1930's eh?

Strange how humans perceive and behave to get what they want isn't it?

And those who mask their intolerance with non sensical statements about gene pools and sharia law...

~Keeper

link   
reply to post by Kram09

I do not live there but Ive spent alot of time in the Old Empire. Just from 2000 until now, you see the takeover of non British natives and the absolute cowering of government officials to these bastards. I hope hope to God someone over there wakes the &%$# up and preserves the country before Britain is behind the demographic 8 ball.

link   

Originally posted by tothetenthpower
What if they tried to ban spaghetti strapped shirts? Or flip flops?

Yes, whatever would we do then?

Ive always thought, when i have heard about these proposed bans (i believe that there was one in France), that the motivation behind them was more to do with having a pop at Islam.

I cant really see any logical reason for having a ban.

It seems to me that the feminist part of TPTB object to women having to walk around with their faces covered so they have tried to implement a ban - completely disregarding and walking over Islamic religious law.

Im really glad they havent gone through with it.

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 12:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Agent_USA_Supporter

Yeah, because everybody who wears a burka is abused and lives a life of neglect right??

Again, people make statements about things they do not understand, out of fear.

~Keeper

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 12:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by shai hulud
reply to post by Kram09

I do not live there but Ive spent alot of time in the Old Empire. Just from 2000 until now, you see the takeover of non British natives and the absolute cowering of government officials to these bastards. I hope hope to God someone over there wakes the &%$# up and preserves the country before Britain is behind the demographic 8 ball.

What does any of that have to do with Burka?

What is banning the Burka goin to be a win for Britains who feel like they are loosing their country to Islam?

That's not Islam's fault, it's the British People's fault for electing government officials who don't share their values.

~Keeper

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join