It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Baltic divers find what they claim is world's oldest champagne in wreck near Aland islands

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 09:19 AM
link   

Baltic divers find what they claim is world's oldest champagne in wreck near Aland islands

www.foxnews.com

Divers have discovered what is thought to be the world's oldest drinkable champagne, fishing a bottle of the centuries-old bubbly from a shipwreck in the Baltic Sea.

Dive instructor Christian Ekstrom says the champagne, believed to be from the 1780's, "tasted fantastic." Ekstrom said Saturday he's "98 percent sure" of the champagne's age, having conferred with experts.

About 30 bottles are believed to remain in the wreckage. Swedish wine expert Carl-Jan Granqvist says each bottle could bri
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 09:19 AM
link   

This is an incredible find and the fact that it is still good, makes it all the better. 30 bottles at around 50,000 Euros, should bring in a fortune, estimated to be 1.5 million Euros or about $1.9 million dollars.

If I came across this find, I would definitely have to drink at least one bottle, which is apparently what happened. I love champagne so to me, this is so cool.

--airspoon

www.foxnews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 10:23 AM
link   
What a find,i agree you would have to drink at least 1 bottle especially if you found about 30,i sometimes drink champagne so i wouldn't mind giving it a go.makes you wonder whats still left under the sea.
thats gotta be some fine tasting wine

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 11:49 AM
link   
reply to post by rhynouk

Could you imagine drinking a $65,000 USD bottle of Champagne? I would probably feel a little guilty, though I would enjoy it. For the most part, the price of Champagne usually does reflect the quality.

--airspoon

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 03:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by airspoon
reply to post by rhynouk

Could you imagine drinking a $65,000 USD bottle of Champagne? I would probably feel a little guilty, though I would enjoy it. For the most part, the price of Champagne usually does reflect the quality.

--airspoon

Considering I would be drinking it without paying I doubt I would feel guilty

Have, I must!

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 04:07 PM
link   
reply to post by airspoon

good find i needed something to cheer me up with all the nonsense going on in the world i don't like alcohol but i know for a fact if i found something like that be it champagne or (hopefully) whiskey id have to at least try it!

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 04:33 PM
link   
It is believed to be 1780's Veuve Clicquot. Currently the oldest unopened bottle of champagne is 1825 Perriet-Jouet.

Nitpicking: the divers were not Baltic, but Finnish and Swedish. Big difference!

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 09:57 PM
link   
Awesome! I think it would be amazing to taste this. Afterwards, I would like to compare it to what is out nowadays. Though, I am not into champagne much, just the thought of drinking antiquity amazes me to no end.

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 10:25 PM
link   
I like champagne, but an extra 50k euro sounds better! I would sell all 30 bottles and celebrate with some cheap champagne

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 11:40 PM
link   
I would drink 29 bottles and sell the "oldest bottle of champagne" for 2 million

new topics

top topics

join