It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mass. Parents Angry Over Kids Sent Home With 'Fat Reports'

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 01:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Skyfloating

Originally posted by airspoon
I would have to disagree, as far as the school teaching life lessons. It should be the parent's job to teach their kids about life. I should be the one to teach my children life's lessons or at least someone of my choosing, not a school, to which I have no choice in sending my children.

This view is common and is, imo, the exact reason why school is such a waste of time - you dont learn anything about life there.

Nonsense! You can learn all about the gay lifestyle!

posted on Jul, 20 2010 @ 12:16 AM
link   
News flash from a now adult male who was a fat ass in high school: FAT ASSES ALREADY KNOW THEY"RE FAT. It's not like I was shocked when I tried on my previous season's football practice jersey and it was too small. I knew what I'd been eating over the summer. It isn't like I suddenly woke up one morning at said "Oh Christ, I've got b-cups! How did this happen?" No, despite what all the wide load lard butt teens say, fatties know they're fat. No revalation here. If anything, schools sending reports home simply gives these kids one more reason to bitch about the ridiculous "hardships" of being fat.

posted on Jul, 20 2010 @ 04:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by Skyfloating

Originally posted by airspoon
I would have to disagree, as far as the school teaching life lessons. It should be the parent's job to teach their kids about life. I should be the one to teach my children life's lessons or at least someone of my choosing, not a school, to which I have no choice in sending my children.

This view is common and is, imo, the exact reason why school is such a waste of time - you dont learn anything about life there.

There's one major reason why I agree with you, Skyfloating, and that is because there will still be many parents who don't teach their kids life values, kids from broken homes e.c.t

If schools taught these kind of things at least 'all' kids would be exposed to knowledge that might help them in life, instead of depending on parents who might not care to guide them.

As far as fat kids go, depending on how fat the kid is I'd say letting your kid grow obese is child abuse. I'm in favour of the schools giving fat reports if it means shocking or annoying lazy arse parents into action, it's a fast food culture and it's embraced by too far too many. I know it's not all as black and white as I say but it's only the gist that I'm giving.

posted on Jul, 20 2010 @ 05:20 AM
link   
If the reports come with good explanations and are given to all students I don't see a problem. Everyone should know what's good for them. Good explanations are needed as in the example of the gymnast. She just weighed near the overweight range 'cause she had more muscle which weighs more than fat.

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 12:54 AM
link   
When it come to unhealthy overweight, underweight, or obese kids, its the fault of a combination of things. Its the parents fault for letting their kids eat unhealthy food that they know will be detrimental to the kids health, its also the govt and society's fault for advocating eating junk food and fast food and considering it ok. Its the govts fault for putting nasty chemicals in out healthiest food being natural produce and such all just so they can make more profit and putting nasty flouride in our water. Its also the parents fault for teachin their kids to be lazy and that its ok to not exercise daily. In my view my body is my temple, its is special cause it is the only one of its kind, its my body, and I will never have another one.

[edit on 10/5/09 by OutlanderHuman24]

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 02:14 AM
link   
reply to post by airspoon

Actually school is the best place for this since obviously the parent can't be trusted not to feed their kids crap. Although with that thought in mind I remember once going to USA and eating lunch at a school cafe... no wonder their fat

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 02:16 AM
link   
It doesn't really concern me that they are being sent home with letters. For longer then I can certainly remember schools have been very active in trying to instill strong healthy regiments within youth. It's supposed to be part of the development process that is the socialization goal of schooling.

What concerns me is that they are using BMI to determine if these children receive said "Fat notes." The BMI scale is inaccurate and does not take into account peoples natural bodily structures. It was development not by a physician, but by a Belgium statistician and astronomer over a 150 years ago. He produced it, also, based on completely rudimentary means, using his bias of what he believed was the "proper weight and height" based on mean.

This should not be the method of measurement we are using on our youth. Or at all, for that matter.

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 02:58 AM
link   
Good. Someone needs to slap these parents out here today with some reality because they sure as hell ain't seeing it. If these parents would stop feeding their kids fast food and junk at home, and perhaps cook or learn how to cook a freaking meal, they'd be in better shape all the way around. I get a kick out of these parents who bitch when someone tells them what they need to hear rather than what they want to hear. Today's parents are a far cry from the parents we had. (those of us in our late fortys and fiftys)

Need proof? Go to the mall, sit down and watch the parents with their kids and how they try to deal with them. Including how many kids are there alone because their parents let the mall babysit their kids. To get a really good idea, sit near the food court.

Of course, you'll get an earfull from the anti this and that clique who think that parents don't need schools telling them what to do. But if their kids were healthy then the schools wouldn't have to take such measures if parents were doing such a damn wonderful job.

[edit on 8/24/2010 by mikelee]

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join