It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mass. Parents Angry Over Kids Sent Home With 'Fat Reports'

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 09:01 AM
link   

Mass. Parents Angry Over Kids Sent Home With 'Fat Reports'

www.foxnews.com

Massachusetts parents are angry and dismayed over a public school policy that sees students getting sent home with “fat letters,” myFOXboston.com reported late Friday.

Many schools across the state began sending Body Mass Index (BMI) reports and letters home with students in order to flag possible obesity issues to parents.

"To have a piece of paper like this come home in their backpack with them is very, very concerning to me," said mother Lori-Ann Sumner, whose nine-year-old daughter She
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 09:01 AM
link   
While I agree that parents should be doing more to keep their children from getting fat, I don't think that it is any of the school's business. The school should be for teaching kids academics only.

With that being said, I hate how our society thinks it is okay to complain about being too skinny, such is the case with models and what not, but when you say the same thing about over-weight people, it is considered discriminatory. Is it okay to be fat but not skinny? I would think that it is far more dangerous to be fat, than it is to be skinny. Is it not hypocritical to point out one but not the other, especially when the "other" is far less "healthy"? I have a sneaky suspicion that jealousy is the only reason that we preach against being to skinny, while stepping around being too fat. I bet that the only people complaining about others being to skinny, are those that are too fat.

--airspoon

www.foxnews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

+8 more 
posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 09:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by airspoon
The school should be for teaching kids academics only.

Disagreed. A human being is not only the intellect but also body and spirit. If a school wants to deserve the name "learning institution" it should teach about life as a whole.

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 09:11 AM
link   
Kids involved in sports programs here in GA, particularly wrestling and football, get their BMI tested to make sure they're not hitting dangerous extremes either way. When my son came home with his first report 5 years ago, I welcomed it, learned a lot, and was glad they were keeping an eye on it. As long as the reports remain private, I think this is a good service provided to parents, and it's generally an offshoot of the physical fitness programs, many of which tend to be cut in times of economic downturns.

Some doctors will do this but not all, and of course there's always the question of whether a child ever really gets to see a doctor who actually cares about such things regularly or not or if the parents pay any attention when they do. I don't see the harm in it. I guess some would object to this costing taxpayer money, but again, overall I think it's a good focus...and schools have historically been focused on physical as well as mental fitness. Not many would argue that the two don't go hand in hand.

Overall, I think it's a good thing to do. And I will add that BMI does signal dangerously LOW levels as well as dangerously HIGH levels, so it's really not discriminating.

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 09:17 AM
link   
reply to post by ~Lucidity

I have to agree with this post. Physical fitness if part of school. Your children go to gym glass. There are sports. From malnourishment to being overweight it is a good tool for parents to use.

Ultimately what you choose to do with the BMI report is up to you.

I wonder what new toys they have in happy meals this month?

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 09:21 AM
link   
I agree with this policy. Children are way to large, they know, their parents know, their teachers know, its not like they came home with the letters and this was the first time the parents ever noticed.

This isn't about how the parent feels about getting the letter, its about the health of the child, I think that maybe not the system, but the teachers and parents can get more involved, I mean no one wants the school to say anything, but your kid is there 8 hrs a day.

Sometimes some people need "tough love", and I assure you that their are kids out there 200lbs overweight, thats just ridiculous. If your child spends the same amount of time in school that you do at work, then why would either the school, or your manager or co workers, not be able to have any say in your well being, while in their company for 8 hrs a day 5 days a week.

Peace to you...

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 09:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by Skyfloating

Disagreed. A human being is not only the intellect but also body and spirit. If a school wants to deserve the name "learning institution" it should teach about life as a whole.

I would have to disagree, as far as the school teaching life lessons. It should be the parent's job to teach their kids about life. I should be the one to teach my children life's lessons or at least someone of my choosing, not a school, to which I have no choice in sending my children.

--airspoon

[edit on 18-7-2010 by airspoon]

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 09:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by wdkirk

I have to agree with this post. Physical fitness if part of school. Your children go to gym glass. There are sports. From malnourishment to being overweight it is a good tool for parents to use.

Ultimately what you choose to do with the BMI report is up to you.

I wonder what new toys they have in happy meals this month?

That's not entirely true. Many schools have *nixed their phys-ed programs because apparently Wall Street is more important than our children. Many of our schools here have done away with the phys-ed program in an effort to stay within their smaller budgets.

--airspoon

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 09:30 AM
link   
reply to post by airspoon

I can see what your saying about having to send your children to school, Im not sure about every state, but I know that a lot of states do allow it, mine does, and I home school my children, but for the parents that do send their kids, you gotta admit 8 hours at school, and if you have your kids go to be early, you spend about or maybe even less time with your kids than the school does.

I would figure that an agreement, which parents should already have with the school can be easily worked out. I don't think they're doing this to hurt any ones feelings, but there's kids out there that cant walk a flight of steps.

What do you think that the school would have the right to say concerning the children they are with 40 hrs a week?

Peace to you...

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 09:40 AM
link   
reply to post by NoRegretsEver

Here where I am, it is not so easy to home school and in fact, we have trying for many years to do just that. Even if you are allowed, you still have to teach what the state wants you to teach, which I find to be wrong or propagandic in a lot of cases.

I have always seen school to be used as a method of indoctrination for the state and it shouldn't be that way. They should teach kids the facts and when teaching opinion, it should be labeled as such. Instead, we teach opinion as fact and the facts are often wrong or grossly exaggerated. I also find that the educations system picks and chooses what to teach, which throws things out of context and ultimately skews the facts.

As far as sending children home with BMI reports, I personally don't have a problem with it, as I ensure my children are healthy, eat right and get plenty of exercise, however if a parent doesn't agree with it, it should be their choice, not the choice of the state.

In fact, the state makes far too many choices for families and this is the very anti-thesis of liberty. The state does not know what is best for me or my family and if history has not taught us that lesson, then we clearly have not been listening.

--airspoon

--airspoon

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 09:45 AM
link   

I believe I also covered that in my post. That they are finding the time and money to do this is a positive in my view.

As to this being the parents' job, of course it is. It's their responsibility to instill a lot of things in their kids at home. But does that negate the need for support and cooperation entirely? Both are necessary in the fundamental raising of children. Not all parents are capable of doing it alone, based on a myriad of reasons.

My son said to me not all that long ago, "You know, mom, I had no choice but to turn out okay with so many families looking out for me...my school family, my scout family, my baseball family, my wrestling family, and my real family."

I happen to agree with that simple statement. Did I turn over the raising of my child to the state or to any of these groups? Nope. Did I pick groups that reflected my values and ideals for my son? Did I stay vigilant over what I was and was not comfortable with for him? Yep.

It's not a clear cut line where responsibility and support end and interference begins, I will agree. I would also agree there are times when boundaries are overstepped, but that doesn't mean all help is evil.

As I said, I welcomed the help and the opportunity and was actually glad the schools cared enough to do this. I personally don't understand why anyone would become angry about this or threatened by it unless they feel guilty about something or ignorant or simply have had some bad experiences in the past or see it as some sort of indication of an alarming trend, which it well might be IF it is not monitored and IF we allow it to become this.

I don't disagree that the potential for abuse exists here...it exists everywhere. But overall, I have to weigh in on it's a good thing.

P.S. In the case of this particular little girl, you can be skinny as a rail but still be composed of the wrong stuff. Seems her mother didn't even know this? The reports we got explained it all pretty clearly, and what they didn't I easily found the answers to from the web and our pediatrician.

[edit on 7/18/2010 by ~Lucidity]

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 09:50 AM
link   

I would have to disagree, as far as the school teaching life lessons. It should be the parent's job to teach their kids about life. I should be the one to teach my children life's lessons or at least someone of my choosing, not a school, to which I have no choice in sending my children.

This view is common and is, imo, the exact reason why school is such a waste of time - you dont learn anything about life there.

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 09:53 AM
link   

Actually you should make sure by just doing a search about home schooling in your area. Here are some facts that I can state due to me doing them now.

1. I do not have to apply ANY school program given to me by the state.

2. I am NOT required to even tell the state that I am home schooling, if I were to report it, then they would have the right to come here.

3. If at any point I am asked or visited, and find myself in a pickle, the only requirement I would have to do is, show that work, has been done, which if you home school, you have plenty of that.

Their are thousand of home school website with free everything curriculum, tests, dictionary's, you name it, its there, all you need is a printer, and some ink.

I live in which even though home school is completely legal here, a lot of parents just don't want to. I didn't realize how much my kids weren't learning until I started to home school. Now my kids are up to date on REAL current events, we have a gardening class, and survival class.

So please I say, if you really want to home school, find out about your area yourself, a lot of people are scared. I was at first, and I thought I would go mad, but its been one of the best decisions of my life.

BTW, you can even search for your rights and the laws for you particular state as well, thats what I did before I started, and Ive actually encouraged 3 other parents to home school also.

Peace to you...

[edit on 18-7-2010 by NoRegretsEver]

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 09:54 AM
link   

What if the parents want their children to be fat? It should be the parent's choice, not anyone else's and certainly not the state's choice. Just because you believe that parents should be doing this, doesn't mean that you should be able to force your beliefs or opinions on anyone else.

--airspoon

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 09:58 AM
link   
reply to post by NoRegretsEver

That's not the case in my state. In my state, you have to be approved to home-school and then your children have to meet a certain standard, contrived by the state, of course.

If your not approved to do home-schooling and you don't send your children to school, they will come and take your children away under the guise of neglect. To me, this looks as if they are forcing us to send our children to indoctrination programs.

--airspoon

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 10:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by Skyfloating

as soon as you mention "spirit" a red flag goes up for me. If I had a kid and a public school started filling it's head with talk of spirituality I'd be furious. But then again, maybe I could sue? hm...

either way, another reason not to have children.

and they really should just get rid of public schools and have private schools and trade schools.

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 10:08 AM
link   

No, its descrimination and also NAZI germany style, for let me tell psychology is part of teaching trainig and this would be huge law suits in my country, just north of yours. It massive abuse.
And weight is not a demon. Children's weight vary. I have 4 thin boys and one chubby one. Savvy? And he already feels bad enough and stopped going to the pool. You dont let people hurt children and this whole weight thing is ABUSE.

Starvation for money in hollywood is a political issue, and this promotes an unhealthy and unrealstic model of thin beautuiful women to our girls and causes massive health problems amongst them. It can be talked about as its not natural. But normal weight variety even on the same diet, is.

Now the studies that were done revealed that it was more unhealthy to be 10 pounds underwieght than over, you were at a greater risk for heart attack and illness.

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 10:18 AM
link   

So what if the kid is going into school with a black eye or signs of abuse? Just make sure they've done their homework and ignore it?

It's only a letter pointing out the child is potentially unhealthy.

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 10:22 AM
link   
They were just sending back BMI reports the kids? whoopty doo, that is obviously a good thing. Unless it counts as grade, which it doesnt, how could you complain about this? Physical education is a class, I remember calculating BMIs in school too although it wasnt sent home, obviously its something that should be taught.

[edit on 18-7-2010 by CREAM]

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 10:23 AM
link   

Then that's their prerogative. No one is forcing them to do a thing about it if they don't want to. Just like a doctor can't This is information and a tool to help parents make informed decisions, not a mandate.

However, as was the case for my son's wrestling team, if the kids' BMIs were too low (too much cutting weight), they didn't wrestle because it was dangerous to allow them to.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join