It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. Atheists Reportedly Using Hair Dryers to 'De-Baptize'

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 07:18 PM
link   
reply to post by undo

well... To quote the bible, the holy spirit came upon her. It is still virgin birth, bit the holy spirit basically came upon her to give her the child of God. This is best understood as conception, when the sole enters. For this case, it was the very sole of God.

anything not via sex is artificial. So in all technicality it was an artificial insemination. Not by natural means.

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 07:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Wolf321

There we go, finally we are on the same page. I still think weak atheists are different than agnostics though. The only difference is that agnostics think the answer can't be found. I agree that strong atheists make a claim, I am just not comfortable saying that all of us do. I do, but not with 100% certanity, so I don't consider my atheism a belief, just a position I am very confident in.

Thanks for your patience.

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 07:27 PM
link   
Reply to OP and as mentioned before, I don't see the point.
If they are atheists, what difference does it make?
I mean seriously, if they believe that there is no "god" to pass judgment anyways, why bother?
All I see is a defiant sneer in the general direction of religious believers and figureheads, all for the reason of grabbing attention.
Promotion of their cause is no different that what the church does these days.
So why call attention and why not just get on with their lives.

I smell alterior motivation and something hidden masquerading as atheism.

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 07:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by undo
reply to post by pirhanna

define religious nut, thanks

(this should prove interesting)

It's open to interpretation. And so is religion.

IMO those that cross that line into an all knowing religious belief and / or those that feel the need to impose their religious belief structure upon the rest of us are : religious nuts.

Also those that are serious when they say god talks to them and those that think that some people that are not them getting de-baptized should be forcibly stopped. These people are religious nuts, and are dangerous to the greater society (and themselves).

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 08:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by reticledc

All I see is a defiant sneer in the general direction of religious believers and figureheads, all for the reason of grabbing attention.
Promotion of their cause is no different that what the church does these days.
So why call attention and why not just get on with their lives.

I smell alterior motivation and something hidden masquerading as atheism.

I think it's just a reaction to a society that demeans and oppresses religiously. There is inevitably a bit of animosity built over the years of forced degradation. A positive release of this animosity is through humor. Much better than a "cleansing" don't you think?

*defiantly sneering at the oppressors*

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 08:15 PM
link   
Atheists have become the self-righteous know-it-all morons they pretend to rail against so valiantly. What's next? An atheist bible? Gimme a break.

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 08:31 PM
link   
I chose to be baptized as an adult. It was my free choice. Although I have frequently been amused or dismayed by some of my fellow believers, I have no desire to "take it back," though the idea strikes me as hilarious.

Believers who get offended by such juvenile antics are taking themselves way too seriously.

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 08:34 PM
link   
Freedom of religion not from religion.
If someone was baptized and wants to be un-baptized, let them... although I fail to see how it helps them lift some burden, their proverbial cross that they are bearing. If they don't want to be christian anymore and they were once... so what? Performing the ritual to me only signifies a deep seated hatred for that religion but more importantly, there is still a belief in the dogma.

You want to be Catholic... be Catholic.
You want to be Atheist... be Atheist.

Key part here. YOU BE. Don't push your crappy belief on anyone else. I have a belief, I keep it to myself, it's crappy. There is no need to convert people to either side, which is what is happening in the atheist versus theist debate. Allow people to practice how they wish. You don't want to? Don't. You do? You know where to go.

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 08:43 PM
link   
This ritual in itself is quite odd. It's obvious as many have said it's to shame or bash God.

Ive found many, many, many atheists on conspiracy sites. More than the norm. To each their own.

The ritual is not required. All one would need to do is simply denounce God, that would rid any baptism ASAP. The unforgivable sin I believe.

I didnt read whether it was whole body submersion of only the forehead. Baptisms run deep.

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 08:48 PM
link   
Gee. Seems like they're on a crusade or something.

Oh, religion/atheism.. you never cease to amuse me.

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 09:05 PM
link   
reply to post by airspoon

Just the fact that they need hair dryers to symbolize a "de-baptism" just shows how tied to religion and dogma they still are. A true non-believer/believer doesn't need a ritual or symbols to believe/not believe.... it just is.

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 09:09 PM
link   
Doesn't matter anyway. In the end everyone is baptised a Mormon!

Does it really matter?

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 09:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by airspoon

While I totally support their right to be atheists, I think they are wrong to make a joke of it. Two wrongs don't make a right. I am not religious myself but for those who want to be, they should have every right to do so, just as atheists should. I also believe that parents should have every right to baptize their children, if they see fit to do so. If you are an atheist, then being baptized as a child shouldn't bother them, as they don't believe in the first place.

With that being said, I do however find their de-baptizing efforts to be hilarious. I just don't think that they are going about it in the right way, a way in which better acceptance will be afforded to their movement. You should pick your battles and remember that the world isn't fair.

--airspoon

www.foxnews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

Wrong to make a joke of it? It's a symbolic ritual, just like Baptism itself. Therefore it's no more a joke than Baptism itself. How many babies are actually able to baptize themselves of their own accord, vs. being able to do the latter? See, it's less of a joke when a conscious, thinking adult makes the decision. More and more people are deciding they don't want the shackles of ignorance, superstition, and stupidity on them. Who can blame them? Babies don't have that choice, do they? Someone makes it for them.

You're right, the world isn't fair. Funny how the people that seem to know this best seem to be the ones using logic, reasoning, and sanity, instead of being led into a flock of ignorance and lies.

Re: I'm not an atheist either

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 09:33 PM
link   
Atheist are Religious. Their religion is disbelief. They went from being people stating the way they feel/believe, to being a dog and pony show. All they want is attention and I have lost respect for a lot of the people who call themselves atheist, just as I have people who only call themselves believers for attention and power.

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 09:39 PM
link   
So let me get this straight... athiests are performing a ceremony that is meant to be similar to a ceremony performed by various religious groups? They are gathering together in a common place to perform this ceremony? Sounds to me like they are practicing religion.

Wait, I thought athiests didn't believe in a God... I guess they believe in religion, though?

I'm confused.

Do they have the little envelopes for the money? I bet they do...

[edit on 18-7-2010 by AwakeinNM]

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 09:46 PM
link   
They should be careful not to drop their hair dryer in the baptismal. That could spell trouble for those athiests.

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 09:46 PM
link   
so wait, I'm supposed to care that atheists are being outwardly atheist?

last time I checked, religions were free to be as dumb as they want to be or do Christian hate groups not protest outside of abortion clinics and pro-gay events anymore? I was baptized when I was younger and I absolutely hate that I wasn't asked, so I actually find this hilarious.

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 09:47 PM
link   
reply to post by airspoon

Yet one more example of just how similar Atheists are to God lovers.

They perform rituals, have beliefs, and all the other snazzy stuff as well

just minus God....though many of them worship other people like Gods...

not all....just a lot

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 09:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Def Youth
Atheists have become the self-righteous know-it-all morons they pretend to rail against so valiantly. What's next? An atheist bible? Gimme a break.

because Christians are suuuuuper humble alllll the time, right

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 09:56 PM
link   
Of course they mean to offend but since I find atheism to be a form of mental illness, I could care less.
I am curious though, I don't seem to ever see the atheist blowhards attacking Islam, VooDoo, Hinduism, etc. specifically, am I wrong?
They attack "religion" and then narrow down to christianity, but any other religion?
A few years back I had an operation in a Catholic hospital, a nun brought me some ice cream while I was recuperating. I spose if an atheist were there, he or she would have mocked me for awhile then scratched their butt.

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join