It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Nation's Weather ; Important Please Read.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 08:23 AM
link   
The Nation's Weather

The Nation's Weather
By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
Published: July 18, 2010

A storm system will sweep Sunday from the upper Midwest into the Great Lakes as active weather kicks up across the northern tier of the nation. An associated frontal boundary will extend to the Northeast Coast, kicking up scattered showers and thunderstorms across areas of the Lower Great Lakes, the Ohio Valley, and parts of New England.

Storms in the Great Lakes and the Ohio Valley may turn severe with damaging winds, hail and tornadoes. Hot and muggy conditions will persist over the Mid-Mississippi Valley and the Central and Southern Plains. Heat index values are expected to reach well above the century mark, keeping these regions under heat advisories through Sunday afternoon.

In the Southeast, abundant atmospheric moisture will spread across the Gulf Coast states and into the Mid-Atlantic region, triggering scattered showers and thunderstorms through Sunday afternoon.

In the West, a high pressure ridge will heat up the Southwest deserts from southern California through western Arizona. Excessive heat over these regions will raise daytime highs well past the century mark. Very hot temperatures and unusually high humidity levels will cause areas to remain under excessive heat warnings from late Sunday morning through the early evening.

Also Sunday, thunderstorms are expected in areas spreading across the mountains of California, Utah, and Arizona. Elsewhere, the Pacific Northwest and coastal areas of California will experience more seasonal conditions with areas of coastal fog due to onshore winds.

Temperatures in the Lower 48 states ranged Saturday from a low of 33 degrees at Shirley Basin, Wyoming, to a high of 123 degrees at Death Valley, Calif.

The Nation's Weather

I am posting this to alert the members of the ATS Community.

Wheather you think this is important or not it's good to just be aware if any of you live in or around the area's mentioned. With all the crazy weather (tornadoes, floodings, hurricanes, ect ect ect) I find that it is important to atleast be aware.

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 09:23 AM
link   
reply to post by Oozii

In case you haven't heard about it we are in a La Nina season here in the US, which means stronger than average thunderstorms, higher risk of tornados, and hurricanes. More evcessive heat.

There is also a higher chance of big snowstorms this winter in the midwest to the northeast.

I just checked the weather here in Chicago, a 30% chance of showers. Radar is not showing much activity anywhere yet. If there is bad weather in your area take the necessary precautions. With the higher than average temps, look after any elderly neighbors and friends. Pets also should be looked after as well.

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 11:45 AM
link   
I never really paid too much attention to the weather until I moved from Washington State to Kentucky (an LOL is in order here).

At any rate, these sites will help anyone wanting to completely quash fear of the unknown with knowledge and preparation:

U.S. Radar (up to ten minutes lag)

Enter Zip Here for local up to the minute configurable radar.

However I can't say enough about local news station's weathermen, as they'll usually do everything in their power to stay on air with up to the minute and very localized weather advice when there are big or dangerous storms in the area that deserve our respect.

By far, what I rely on most is my knowledge of EXACTLY where I am on any map, and the weather.gov radar maps available online. It's up to you to figure out exactly where you are on any map, how long it takes to get to the shelter, and correlate that with the delay in radar images.

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 02:08 PM
link   
Here in the Catskill Mountains of New York we have been sweltering!!! Last night we had a wicked cool slow moving electrical storm come through!!! I Love Severe Weather!!!

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 05:54 PM
link   
It's been unbelievably hot and humid here aswell. And just read this article.

Report: Warmest June on record globally

(CNN) -- Last month was the warmest June on record worldwide, according to a report from the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration.

Warmer-than-average conditions were present across nearly all continents, including much of the United States, according to the organization's State of the Climate report, released Friday.

Although global sea surface temperatures ranked the fourth-warmest on record, the combination of land and sea anomalies pushed June 2010 past June 2005, previously the warmest June on record, the report said. June was also the fourth consecutive month in a row of record warmth worldwide.

Meanwhile, wetter-than-average conditions were present in southern India, southern China, southern Europe and the U.S. Midwest, the report said. In contrast, southwest Australia is experiencing record-setting rainfall deficiencies, with the lowest rainfall on record for the first half of the year, according to the Australian Bureau of Meteorology. The Bureau reported that all states and territories in Australia experienced drier-than-average conditions in June.

June also marked a record low in Arctic sea ice -- the 19th June in a row the sea ice has been below average.

"This is important, because sea ice reflects incoming solar radiation back to space," said CNN Meteorologist Taylor Ward. "Without the normal extent of sea ice in the Arctic, we can expect more radiation to be absorbed into the ocean, leading to more melting. It's what we call a 'positive feedback.'" The amount of sea ice in the Arctic has been steadily declining since 1990.

Warmer-than-average temperatures in the equatorial Pacific, also known as El Nino, have been contributing to the warmth. La Nina conditions -- cooler-than-average temperatures in the same region -- are beginning to set in, which could prevent more monthly records from being set. However, La Nina combined with record-setting warm Atlantic sea surface temperatures is expected to fuel an active Atlantic hurricane season.

The announcement of June's record-setting warmth comes during a period of extreme heat in the United States and Europe. Excessive heat warnings have been topping weather headlines in the United States for more than two weeks now, and Europe has been shattering temperature records as well, with a heat wave through the first half of July. Eastern Europe has seen the most significant temperatures, although much of the continent has experienced above-average heat.

Source

new topics

top topics

join