It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gurkha ordered back to UK after beheading dead Taliban fighter

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 08:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by spy66
reply to post by muzzleflash

Your speaking to teenagers who dont grasp this at all. They have the same IQ as the Taliban. The Taliban support beheading as well.

Its like the mind of some people in here are at the same level as the Taliban " quite primitive" A head for a head is their knowledge of morality.

Spy66 I'm probably older than you.

I'm not supporting beheading of any kind - All i highlighted was the difference between beheading someone who is alive (Taliban) and beheading a Taliban member who is dead.

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 08:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by mr-lizard

Originally posted by spy66

Your speaking to teenagers who dont grasp this at all. They have the same IQ as the Taliban. The Taliban support beheading as well.

Its like the mind of some people in here are at the same level as the Taliban " quite primitive" A head for a head is their knowledge of morality.

Spy66 I'm probably older than you.

I'm not supporting beheading of any kind - All i highlighted was the difference between beheading someone who is alive (Taliban) and beheading a Taliban member who is dead.

I am 40.

Its still wrong to behead a dead man. Like its wrong for the Taliban to burn, drag and display dead American soldiers disgracefully in public. And you know it. Every time this is displayed publicly by the terrorists Americans and allies get furious. Because it is sick.

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 08:33 AM
link   
Gimmie a break. You do what you have to when you're in the middle of a warzone. The Ghurkas are known - I'd almost dare to say legendary - for being some of the best soldiers in the world. I'm fairly certain he did what he thought was the best course of action considering the situation. And, regardless of what his superiors might think, he accomplished the mission, apparently.

I suggest y'all worry about what happens to innocent civilians who get killed by OUR and THEIR forces both, all the time, instead of worrying about a dead taliban, who probably chopped off his fair share of heads in his career too, anyway. War isn't meant to be pretty. It's when civilians get hurt in the process that you should be really angry.

Of course, should whoever investigates the matter turn up that he did it out of malice or hatred towards the talibans, it's a whole different matter... In that case, I suspect he needs a serious chat with a shrink.

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 08:35 AM
link   
What's wrong with a camera, anyway?

As for those people saying "They deserve to be beheaded as that's what they do to innocents", well just because they do it, it doesn't justify doing it to them, even if the person is deceased. Fight monsters and become one yourself etc.

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 08:36 AM
link   
After a moment's thinking, I came to a realization.

Why bother bringing the body back, when a simple photo or ten would've done just fine?

Edit: WhineFlu, you got to it before I did. Curses.

[edit on 18-7-2010 by David_Reale]

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 08:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by David_Reale
Gimmie a break. You do what you have to when you're in the middle of a warzone. The Ghurkas are known - I'd almost dare to say legendary - for being some of the best soldiers in the world. I'm fairly certain he did what he thought was the best course of action considering the situation. And, regardless of what his superiors might think, he accomplished the mission, apparently.

Jesse's join the Army and learn. This sort of action is what disgraces a very good and professional unit. There is nothing professional about what this Gurkha did. And that is why he is not in active duty to day.

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 08:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by David_Reale
It's when civilians get hurt in the process that you should be really angry.

I agree.

I don't mind the military shooting each other as long as it is kept away from the cities.

Why war never came up with a rule "we will fight outside of the cities and not drag the battles into those population centers" I do not know??

It just seems entirely logical to employ a rule of war like this. Keep the battles out of cities. It's really simple.

But we have a problem. Everyone keeps dragging battles into the cities. This repeats everywhere in modern times.

It's terribly perplexing to try to understand. I don't think I will ever get it.

[edit on 18-7-2010 by muzzleflash]

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 08:44 AM
link   
reply to post by spy66

Jesses on yourself, pal. Don't speak about things you know nothing about. I've served my country. And regardless of what you think of it, you will let my opinion stand.

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 08:46 AM
link   

Thanks, man. I agree wholeheartedly with you.

But it's like with everything else. Some people don't like to play by the rules to win.

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 08:54 AM
link   

Its not that easy. As you said yourself earlier. The Taliban is out matched out in the open. Their best camouflage is to be hidden amongst the public and set up small and effective traps. Hit and run is their tactic. The Taliban knows that just one dead or wounded allied soldier is worth 10 of theirs.

The Taliban have spies everywhere even amongst the Afghan allies. That is why they are able to set up and coordinate these effective road side bombs and ambushes.

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 08:55 AM
link   

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 08:56 AM
link   

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 09:03 AM
link   
reply to post by Whine Flu

I was going to retort to his comment, but...you beat me to the punch again. And did a fine job at it.

And let embarrasing silence ensue.

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 09:05 AM
link   
reply to post by David_Reale

Star for you.

Gurkhas are legendary!

All hell was breaking loose. He was ordered to get ID of the target. He used some initiative. He adapted and improvised, he overcame an obstacle. He made an on the spot decision. Good for him. Had he failed to carry out his directive he would have failed it completely, then he may have been in worse trouble.

The Taliban fighter was already dead with his 72 virgins, what the hell did he care?

[edit on 18-7-2010 by SLAYER69]

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 09:05 AM
link   

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 09:07 AM
link   

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 09:14 AM
link   

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 09:15 AM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

Thanks, man. I'm glad you see things my (or rather, his?) way.

And I couldn't have said the last part better myself.

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 09:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Whine Flu

As for those people saying "They deserve to be beheaded as that's what they do to innocents", well just because they do it, it doesn't justify doing it to them,

Sometimes the answer is, "Yes it does justify doing it to them". Who cares about our reputation, except for libs? Look at what it's got us in this admin...Obama went on his apology tour and the world laughed at him.

Sometimes you need to fight fire with fire. That is all some enemies understand.

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 09:31 AM
link   
reply to post by spy66

The Gurkha's are one of the greatest fighting units in the world and have immense dignity and pride.

Be assured, The Taliban would not hesitate doing the same or worse to The Gurkha given half a chance.
He did what was asked of him & showed great initiative.

PC do goodery has no place in a theatre of war.

The Gurkha concerned can hold his head high safe in the knowledge that he has served this country, his regiment and his people with honour.

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join