It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Question for Staff

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 03:22 AM
link   
Hello,

My question is if i wanted to put forth my name into the big box of names for the next mod position how would i do it.

Reason i ask is i have alot more free time lately and wouldnt mind helping run the forums, its a hobby of mine i have moderated on several sites before and i miss it.

Kind Regards
True-seer

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 03:48 AM
link   
Hi There,

Thank you for your offer of assistance.

When it comes to picking Moderators there really isn't any big box of names or anything...more just a bit of a discussion that happens, normally amongst the Admin/Super Mods, around any need for new Moderators - and if so, who they feel would suit the role.

What are the prerequisites of the role?
Well, many really.
Though some commonalities:

- Length of time here on ATS. Though this isn't always hugely important...quality Vs quantity will win the day

- Contribution/Posting, thought-provoking, engagement and the manner of that engagement with the ATS Community. For instance, its likely each of us at some point will get challenged - sometimes even insulted - by other Members is discussions/threads. HOW you respond to those challenges can be a pretty good sign as to whether or not you may fill the role of a Moderator well.

- Civility. Sure, we all at times get our 'human side' out and are sometimes less than civil with others. However, another key aspect of how we may select Moderators is based on that potential persons civility. Eg: You can be as fantastic and thought-provoking as anything...but if you're also essentially a condescending ego-driven rude prick with people whom you and your 'fans' may think are beneath you, then chances are you're not going to make a Mod.

- Feel. As strange as that may sound...most of the time Mods get selected on what the majority *feels* about whether that person will make a decent Mod or not. Hate to say it - but generally you can tell if someone will be a decent Mod or whether they'll crash and burn. Years and years doing this role gives you a bit of an insight into who is longterm Mod-material, a team-player, someone who will know when it step up and when to step back...and who isn't.

...another thing to add is not everyone we may approach to offer Modship to accepts it.

There are a small number who have been approached a few times now...who we think would make fantastic Moderators...but they just prefer to be Members.

Also, not everyone we're selected before necessarily lasts or has the ongoing time to commit to the Mod role. Real life takes priority. There are numerous ex-Mods who have stepped back into full-time Membership again.

...don't know if that answers your question...

All I can do is encourage you to just enjoy the site...stay within the T&Cs of the site...and see what happens.

Will say this though: Being a Mod isn't all its cracked up to be. It can often be a case of 'damned if you do and damned if you don't'...can't please everyone, so all you can try to do is your best. You soon get used to insults, attacks, threats on your life and family, claims of all manner of paranoid crap...and now and then sent pictures of handmade Voodoo Dolls with your member-name stitched into them, stuck with pins and set on fire...I kid you not...

But yeah...just enjoy the site and see how you go...

[edit on 18-7-2010 by alien]

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 03:54 AM
link   
reply to post by alien

You have answered my question kinda of lol.

I understand fully that it may not be all it is cracked up to be and i have had threats and insults before but never pics of voodoo dolls

I have 2 sides to me, one is playful and a little egotistic and the other is strict and eager to make people happy. But you know its just the way i am.

Well Thanks for your detailed post on this, if you and the other mods think i'll be able to handle it just send me a u2u and i will step up.

P.s I dont have much work, companys going under lol hence all my free-time.

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 03:55 AM
link   
reply to post by alien

You forgot one.

"You have to have an awesome avatar."

Of course the OP already hits that nail on the head

(And glad to see some mods are still showing their Trek love, thanks!)

EDIT (To update: )
Awww, I typed too soon.

[edit on 7/18/2010 by adigregorio]

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 03:57 AM
link   
reply to post by adigregorio

Thats more of a preference than a requirement

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 03:59 AM
link   
reply to post by True-seer

Alllllright, I just wanted to be part of the conversation too!

And you have to admit, them mods have some nifty avatars.

As for becoming a mod, I don't know. Seems like it would be alot of work.

Does a candidate get a "heads up" on what is going to be the new normal?

I mean, seems like one could drown in the responsibilities/persona that is MOD.

EDIT (To Add)
No rush on answers or anything, I can't be a mod as per this rule:

if you're also essentially a condescending ego-driven rude prick with people whom you and your 'fans' may think are beneath you, then chances are you're not going to make a Mod.

I can't be a mod, I have no "fans"...

(Oh, and my humor sucks)

[edit on 7/18/2010 by adigregorio]

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 04:02 AM
link   

Well i have been a mod on another site and it was like this.

We used msn to chat and keep in touch while we all worked, we had a mod forum were violations of t&c were posted, so basically i just looked into things and acted accordingly, had a few insults of members who got banned then made a new account but that cant be helped lol.

It time consuming, Its hard, but its also fun.

[edit on 18-7-2010 by True-seer]

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 04:09 AM
link   

I have dabbled in the MOD sauce as well.

Hence the drowning comment, this site is extensive and massive and huge. (I am redundant.)

I piddled in a puny girly man site. Our highest membership was 400 (If I remember right)

That was a mess of work, "He said she said" crap. "I hate you just because you have authority" crap. My favorite are the pictures. You get some wonderful portraits done of yourself when you are a mod.

I had one once that was me [snip] in the [snip] [snip] with [snip] and [snip] and two-hundred-twenty-three [snip]. [snip] [snip] [snip] for three [snip] and a little puppy.

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 04:10 AM
link   

well my mod career so far has been at game hacking sites lol. fps games mostly. I am still a good person dont judge me. MPGH was my last site and it had alot of members.

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 04:18 AM
link   

Meh, I don't think it would matter where you gained your experience. As long as you had experience.

Assuming they look for experience

Experience

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 04:22 AM
link   

it took me 3 month before i became a mod at that site, i released my own hack, and was thier for a year but lost interest in the games so i never returned, and to be honest i'm too old for games now.

It wouldnt bother me if i didnt become a mod here. I just enjoy having something extra-curricular to do and the responsibility.

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 04:31 AM
link   

Don't worry...you guys are fine...

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 04:32 AM
link   
reply to post by MemoryShock

I know how attractive I am!

Sorry, couldn't think of anything better...

Besides, if I became a MOD I couldn't brown nose anymore!

There we go, much better!

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 04:38 AM
link   

Nice almost pun...lol

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 04:43 AM
link   
Well i'd love to stay and chat but my bed is calling me.

Thanks for the Opinions and conversation guys.

Kind Regards
True-seer

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 04:46 AM
link   

Anytime!

And glad I could make ya chuckle MemoryShock! My work here is done

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 08:54 AM
link   
Another criterion that wasn't mentioned....

Being able to keep your cool in heated threads, and especially if you succeed in calming the situation down. This is a key point in moderating, as you have to able to show an ability to be objective and be level-headed, but while staying within the rules of the site...

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 08:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok
Another criterion that wasn't mentioned....

Being able to keep your cool in heated threads, and especially if you succeed in calming the situation down. This is a key point in moderating, as you have to able to show an ability to be objective and be level-headed, but while staying within the rules of the site...

Aww shucks

I can keep my heat in cool threads, and heat up cool threads. But keeping cool in heated threads...wait where was I?

Really, I quoted this one because it is the most important (In my opinion.)

If you enter a debate in heat, then all you get is [snip]ed.

Is my nose brown enough?

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 10:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by True-seer
Well i'd love to stay and chat but my bed is calling me.

Kind Regards
True-seer

Well you went and blew it right there.

MODS never sleep.

At least that is what a mod told me one time, at 3 in the morning and she didn't sound tired at all - so I guess she was right

Dorian Soran
The tired doctor

new topics

top topics

join