It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nasa warns solar flares from 'huge space storm' will cause devastation

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 03:08 AM
link   

National power grids could overheat and air travel severely disrupted while electronic items, navigation devices and major satellites could stop working after the Sun reaches its maximum power in a few years.

Senior space agency scientists believe the Earth will be hit with unprecedented levels of magnetic energy from solar flares after the Sun wakes “from a deep slumber” sometime around 2013, The Daily Telegraph can disclose.

In a new warning, Nasa said the super storm would hit like “a bolt of lightning” and could cause catastrophic consequences for the world’s health, emergency services and national security unless precautions are taken.

Scientists believe it could damage everything from emergency services’ systems, hospital equipment, banking systems and air traffic control devices, through to “everyday” items such as home computers, iPods and Sat Navs.

www.telegraph.co.uk...

This is not some crack-pot 2012 hyped up theory, this is a true warning from NASA. When an official US Government organization openly states that something terrible will occur around 2012 it makes me suspicious I am not the doomsday 2012 guy, but I am not going to deny the fact that a lot of things point to 2012 for something strange to occur.

Solar Cycle 24

Predictions

It is predicted that Solar Cycle 24 will peak in May 2013 with 90 sunspots, which would be the fewest since Solar Cycle 16.

Geomagnetic conditions

The 2008 breach of Earth's magnetic shieldAccording to NASA, the intensity of geomagnetic storms during Solar Cycle 24 may be elevated by a large breach in Earth's magnetic field which was discovered by the THEMIS spacecraft in 2008.[3][4][5][6] An increase in particles of approximately 2,000 percent is expected.

[edit on 7/18/2010 by Misoir]

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 03:18 AM
link   

Senior space agency scientists believe the Earth will be hit with unprecedented levels of magnetic energy from solar flares after the Sun wakes “from a deep slumber” sometime around 2013, The Daily Telegraph can disclose.

When an official US Government organization openly states that something terrible will occur around 2012

Since when was 2013 around 2012?

[edit on 18/7/10 by Chadwickus]

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 03:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by Chadwickus
Since when was 2013 around 2012?

I consider around 2012 as within 6 months of December 2012. 6 months earlier is June 2012 and 6 months later in June 2013.

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 03:21 AM
link   
It is also not what the NASA scientist said.

Compare this:

With this:

"The sun is waking up from a deep slumber, and in the next few years we expect to see much higher levels of solar activity. At the same time, our technological society has developed an unprecedented sensitivity to solar storms. The intersection of these two issues is what we're getting together to discuss."

The Sun is not going to "wake" around 2013, it is in the process of waking right now. It is expected to reach its peak in 2013. There is no expectation that this peak will be more severe than any previous peak in the solar cycle.

No "unprecedented levels of magnetic energy" are expected but our sensitivity to solar storms is unprecedented because of our dependence on satellites and electrical power.

The article is a sensationalist load of crap. Twisting what was really said.

science.nasa.gov...

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 03:25 AM
link   
i think it is to happen a lot sooner than that, i listen too "coast to coast" and from what, "Richard c. H." was saying if i recall correctly, "as soon as this Sept", now i am not disagreeing with you, but we have had thees storms with out warning in the past, if i remember right ,back in may, and it was 2 weeks after they said anything, and what gets me is msm, say next to nothing if anything at all about this type of event/ storm, we did have a big one that would have been a "kill storm" but i can not remember when, was it in Dec-Jan 2009? i would like to know, i am working on a theory, one of many and some are... well panning out to be real. and as far as the 2012, well let see what happens in /by Oct. of 2011, if not sooner.

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 03:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Misoir

Odd... I consider around 2012 to be from January 1 to December 31 2012.

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 03:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Misoir

Something is coming.

Not sure what because "them that know" aint telling.

They all hide behind scientific BS and mess up the figures to suit themselves.

Then they have their messengers feed us the same crap lines..

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 03:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by Chadwickus
reply to post by Misoir

Odd... I consider around 2012 to be from January 1 to December 31 2012.

Sorry my friend but that is simply 2012. Maybe get a dictionary, it may help.

[edit on 7/18/2010 by Misoir]

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 03:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Chadwickus

Odd, I consider 'around" to be somewhere just before or just after...

Maybe I went to a different school

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 03:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Misoir

Why would I need a dictionary?

So, the next soccer world cup will be held some time around 2014.

To you that would mean it will be held sometime from June 2013 to June 2015.

To everyone else it will be held sometime between January 1 and December 31 2012.

See what I'm getting at?

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 03:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Chadwickus

Well to me if someone said around 2012, I'd be think from late 2011 to early 2013..

If they MEANT 2012, why not just say "in 2012" ??????

Why add the word "around" ??????

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 03:41 AM
link   
reply to post by virgom129

No one (no scientist anyway, as claimed by the Telegraph) said anything particularly scary was going to happen "around" or during 2012, as far as the Sun goes anyway. Solar maximum in May 2013, that's it. No monster storm, no end of the world as we know it.

[edit on 7/18/2010 by Phage]

link   
reply to post by Misoir

Yes we know this is true but not scared just prepared.

This happened recently but was somehow prevented from reaching earth by temproarily lowering the earth frequency so that there is a freq differential and the radiation cannot resonate with earth's frequency.

This also explains the true reason for Climate change ,of course this does not mean that we are not polluting the planet.

Only way we can survive is to all people should come together and raise the frequency of the planet by love and compassion and discarding religion retaining humanity.This is imperative if we are to survive the coming solar storm,other wise all surface life on planet earth is likely to be wiped out.

link   

Because it means sometime during 2012.

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 03:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Phage

WEll since you're pretty much considered an authority on this subject
I want to ask you...

You are pretty clear in your post... its nothing unusual as earth has been hit by a big magnetic storm before, but the warning given is that with our current dependancy on electronics we are MUCH more vulnerable then in the time of wooden cartweels and horses...

Are these warnings to be taken seriously as in we might actually see most if not all of our electronics die on us with a bit of bad luck playing us part?

Also hasn't the first satelite already bitten the dust in april this year? I have no clue how many satelites we normally lose over a period of, lets say a decade, but losing 1 is IMO already a smoking fuse...

[edit on 18/7/2010 by faceoff85]

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 03:48 AM
link   
reply to post by faceoff85

Not if, when (it could happen next month, next year, or not for a hundred years) we're hit with a major geomagnetic storm we will suffer for it unless we manage to better prepare ourselves.

Locations in mid to upper latitudes could suffer widespread disruptions of their power grids. Satellite navigation and communications systems could be crippled. Long range radio communications would suffer short term problems.

But...your iPod will be fine, your laptop fine. The battery chargers might get cooked if they're plugged in though. Your car will be fine.

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 03:51 AM
link   
Its important to remember that those who beleive something will happen in 2012 are slightly mis informed.

The gregorian calendar which we have based out time system on for around the last 2000 years, was very different from the mayan. Our calendar is quite inaccurate. Its also hard to pinpoint the day our calendar began, and how we can reference that to find the exact time that the Mayan calendar is predicting

The high priest of the maya who currently lives in south america, has stated that if we are to have a world changing event (and this guy believes we are going to), it could happen from anywhere between 2007 and 2020, due to the inaccuracy of our calendar and a number of other factors.

A filmaker has decided to make a documentary about this man, clips, and other info can be found at
Shift of the Ages

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 04:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by Phage

No one (no scientist anyway, as claimed by the Telegraph) said anything particularly scary was going to happen "around" or during 2012, as far as the Sun goes anyway. Solar maximum in May 2013, that's it. No monster storm, no end of the world as we know it.

hummm, wow...last time I checked Michio Kaku is a scientist, and he has said quite the contrary to what "phage" wants to claim...

www.youtube.com...

So once again "phage" is wrong... go figure..

At around 1 minutes 15 seconds is when Michiu Kaku starts talking in the above video... and yes he warns of possible devastating solar storms in 2012 which could destroy at least part of our electrical and electronic infraestructure unless we take some measures.

NASA claims Solar maximum will be in 2013, but last time I checked they have been wrong about their predictions of the start of the new Solar cycle so many times that it is very possible they are wrong again about the claim that Solar maximum would be in 2013.

[edit on 18-7-2010 by ElectricUniverse]

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 04:08 AM
link   
Phage is, as usual, correct.

The Carrington Event of September 1, 1859 was a large solar flare that hit the Earth and knocked out some telegraph service, shocked operators, etc.

Another one, on August 4, 1972, knocked out long-distance telephone communication across Illinois.

Another, on March 13, 1989, provoked geomagnetic storms that disrupted electric power transmission from the Hydro Québec generating station in Canada, blacking out most of the province and plunging 6 million people into darkness for 9 hours

All of the modern events were much smaller than the Carrington event.

[edit on 18-7-2010 by JJRichey]

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 04:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Umm and they are always right Phage or do you just think they are.

I kinda remember reading about them being WRONG about Solar Activity on a few occassions...

Do I need to go find a source or do you remember them being WRONG before????

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join