It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Psychology of Accessories.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 03:01 AM
link   
This is another thread in my "The Psychology of" Series.

Hello everyone,

I wanted to bring up a very interesting topic that I have been wanting to write about for a very long time:

Accessories. When I think of accessories, I'm thinking of the two biggies, which are hats and sunglasses. Both of these objects definitely change one's appearance, and change how people perceive someone.

So let's start off with hats....

Hats can definitely be a very functional accessory. Whether it is blocking sun out of the face, a fashion statement, there are definitely practical uses for the hat.

But....

When I see a person wearing a hat in an inappropriate location, such as within a house, I always think to myself,
"Why is that person wearing a hat?"

There is also the people who live with a hat on their head 24/7...
When I see someone who is always wearing a hat, one thing in particular comes to my mind...
"Wow, that person really has no confidence in their hair."

So one can see how there is a massive amount of psychology behind hat wearing, and how wearing a hat all the time might have people wondering what lies beneath that hat...

(Remember, this is just my views on the matter, feel free to add any input that you like)

Moving on next to sunglasses; another accessory that puts up an interesting barrier. Sunglasses also have very functional uses, the main one of course blocking our eyes from the sun. But... personally, whenever I see someone in sunglasses, I get slightly nervous. Something about not being able to see someone's eyes really freaks me out, especially if I am having a conversation with someone who has shades on.

So yeah, that's enough to get this thread started. I definitely have a lot more to say, but I will save that for when the thread progresses more.

Please share your thoughts on the psychology behind accessories and feel free to mention other accessories as well!

[edit on 18-7-2010 by SolarE-Souljah]

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 03:26 AM
link   
reply to post by SolarE-Souljah

When I was in Iraq, we always wore sunglasses not just because the sun is so bright and hot but because these glasses can also protect our eyes from small shrapnel fragments. As far as hats we always wore patrol caps but I always wore a boonie because it would piss off the higher ranking and provided even more protection from the sun. There is something for everyone but it sure does make a difference in appearance.

$&F

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 03:32 AM
link   
This post made me crack up. Sorry but, "When I see a person wearing a hat...I always think to myself, Why is that person wearing a hat?"
and "Wow, that person really has no confidence in their hair."

On a serious note, I agree with your assessment of both. I used to always where both, and it def was a confidence/ego thing, so good observations.

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 03:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Stop-loss!

Cool man.

Yeah, I totally dig hats and sunglasses in certain situations.

It's just a pet peeve of mine when people wear hats or sunglasses indoors... Hopefully that isn't too weird.

-Sol

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 04:13 AM
link   
reply to post by LifeIsEnergy

Thank you for the input sire. The way you quoted it made me crack up.

ATS is just so awesome. I love being able to make threads.

-Sol

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 04:30 AM
link   
Being on the water in an area with "30, 000 islands and 3,000,000 million rocks" Polaroid sunglasses are a must because every depth less than 5 feet ( 1.5 metews ) shows brown, while the navigable water shows blue green.
Either that or the traveling is by ice and snow, and if you don't cut the glare ones eyes run the risk of snow blindness.

The hat is to keep the hair from being windblown and to keep the sun off.
If the hat is worn indoors it is so it doesn't get crushed or forgotten.

We are an out door bunch in this locality...just heard a loon call as I typed that...cool.
Doesn't get more Canadian than that.

[edit on 18-7-2010 by Danbones]

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 04:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Danbones

Cool to hear.

The way in which you wear your accessories gets an approval from me!

Canadians are definitely a cool bunch. I hear coqui frogs chirping in the background where I am. Don't know what a loon is, but... sounds like a bird who chirps in the night.

Glad we could connect and understand each other.

-Sol

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 05:14 AM
link   
The only hat I wear is my Gangster Derby and I only wear it when I wear a suit. It's a nice, rather expensive dress hat and it just looks cool with a suit. I wear it slightly tilted to one side with an old "13 Black" Rook card in the hatband.

As for sunglasses, I buy a new pair of Ray-Bans every couple of years. This is more for utility than anything. My eyes are ridiculously light-sensitive and I actually need them to drive and any other outdoors activity I get involved in.

So, for me it's a mix of ego and necessity, I suppose.

TheAssoc.

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 05:50 AM
link   
reply to post by TheAssociate

Thank you!!!

You remind me what of I like about hats... the classy, old fashioned ones.

Nowadays, all I see are the same old lame baseball caps wherever I go, and that gets boring after a while. I should have included in my OP, that I am only singling out that specific type of hat, the baseball cap. (nothing against baseball players at all). It's like literally the only type of hat you see nowadays for the most part.

Keep it classy with your awesome Gangster Derby!

-Sol

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 08:48 PM
link   
Okay, so after thinking about this here thread some more, I decided to try something. I wore a baseball cap and sunglasses at the same time, and dang, it sure was cozy. I definitely see and know the appeal in both of these accessories.

But....

Here is my opinion. Sometimes, I feel like one needs to fully present themselves in certain situations, and I feel like hats and sunglasses are covering and blocking oneself from others, and not really acceptable in a formal environment. (in my opinion)

But like I've mentioned in the past, sunglasses and hats definitely play a functional role in the world.

-Sol

PS: any other accessories you can think of?

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 09:35 PM
link   
I never wear a hat or sunglasses since the last 15 years. Or any accessories at all for that matter.

What does that mean? lol.

Also, when someone is wearing a hat inside a house, I don't notice. I might notice sunglasses though because it covers their eyes and I am a eye contact person.

If they are wearing sunglasses I always stare directly into them and just view them as big giant square or oval shaped eyes. Depending on what type of shades they are wearing of course.

[edit on 18-7-2010 by muzzleflash]

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 09:43 PM
link   
reply to post by muzzleflash

hehe. I do the same thing to people with sunglasses. Even though people are attempting to put up a barrier, I still stare directly into their eyes. What, just because their eyes are covered, they don't think I can make direct eye contact? fools. haha.

-Sol

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 10:21 PM
link   
...i thought this was about jewelry...

...in some old-fashioned cultures, its bad manners to attempt to make eye contact with someone you're not intimate with... its considered an invasion of privacy, lack of respect for their personal space... its still a widely held concept that your eyes are the windows to your soul, so it stands to reason that many people are still very old fashioned about eye to eye contact...

...i dont have issues with folks that wear hats or sunglasses inside or outside... its their head, their eyes - none of my biz... the same cant be said for those who pick their nose in public, lmao...

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 11:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by SolarE-Souljah
reply to post by Danbones

Cool to hear.

The way in which you wear your accessories gets an approval from me!

Canadians are definitely a cool bunch. I hear coqui frogs chirping in the background where I am. Don't know what a loon is, but... sounds like a bird who chirps in the night.

Glad we could connect and understand each other.

-Sol

Here is a u tube of a Loon, we also have tree frogs of different types...
little 1 inch buggers sound like fog horns.
Nothing says Canadian wilderness like a loon call...

www.youtube.com...

www.youtube.com...

PS I know if I want to make real contact with someone I lift my sunglasses up onto the brim of my hat, if it is impersonal, I leave em on outdoors.
Indoors they go up where I know where they are.
I hate replacing them ...

Winter I wear a tugue and sunglasses...so my ears don't freeze

Not to mention my Mp3 player and head phones...

I love to stroll a good bush trail with the tunes cranked.
Or walk the ice amoungst the Islands on a sunny day...
with a good buzz going...

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 11:19 PM
link   
I once overheard some women in a restaurant at a nearby table complaining about bald or balding men who wear hats. "Its false advertising," said one.

You know what puzzles me? Shoes. Shoes seem incredibly important to women. I've always wondered about this. As far as I know, most men don't care much about shoes -- I know I certainly don't. But then you hear stories about teenage gang members shooting people so they could take their sneakers, so obviously some males are pretty deep into footwear. Also, to stereotype, I think European and Asian males seem to care more about shoes than Americans, but of course it depends on the person. Anyway, I never understood why a woman would want a closetfull of shoes they wear once or twice. Imelda Marcos, sex and the city, etc.

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 11:24 PM
link   

I don't wear hats or sunglasses - they are uncomfortable to me. I will wear a hat in the winter if it is very cold but I don't like it. As for others that wear hats and sunglasses - I think it must feel comfortable to them, they like protection from the sun and elements.

Now jewelry I like, but not too much. A couple of rings and earrings. Why, because I collect them (big jewelry box) and well they are shiny and cheerful. And yes I mix gold and silver - I don' care what my Mom told me.

Purses - where else am I going to carry the kitchen sink, lol. I like to match my purse with my shoes even tho I have been told that is no longer in style. Brown leather and black leather just doesn't get it for me.

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 11:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by silent thunder
I once overheard some women in a restaurant at a nearby table complaining about bald or balding men who wear hats. "Its false advertising," said one.

I didn't want to bring it up, but you did.

Whenever I see a middle aged man wearing a baseball cap, I always think,
"I wonder how bald that guy is?"

I usually get a very strong urge to smack hats off of people, because of that reason.

It is totally "false advertising," as those smart women said.

-Sol

Edit to add: I got the cure for hair loss, by the way.

Go out into nature, find yourself some nice trees and grass, and go sit down with them. Imagine the nutrients of the Earth entering through the soles of your feet, and feel it nourishing your scalp.

Ever since I started doing this, my hair is healthier and thicker.

Give it a try.
Scalp massages and tea tree oil also do quite well, for realz.

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 11:39 PM
link   

I usually get a very strong urge to smack hats off of people, because of that reason.

lMAO, go for it!

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 11:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wyn Hawks
...i thought this was about jewelry...

...in some old-fashioned cultures, its bad manners to attempt to make eye contact with someone you're not intimate with... its considered an invasion of privacy, lack of respect for their personal space... its still a widely held concept that your eyes are the windows to your soul, so it stands to reason that many people are still very old fashioned about eye to eye contact...

...i dont have issues with folks that wear hats or sunglasses inside or outside... its their head, their eyes - none of my biz... the same cant be said for those who pick their nose in public, lmao...

What about pulling nose hairs with the pliers on their pocket multi tool?

I don't do it in public, or usually in front of anyone.

I've been a hat person for years. I'm trying to break the habit now, but it bugs me. I've gone to a shorter haircut so I don't have to fix my hair if I go out without a hat. I've always hated fixing my hair, even just 2 minutes with some gel.

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 11:52 PM
link   
Continuing with the thread... moving on to other accessories:

Rings. They too have a powerful function.

A wedding ring is a very strong reminder to everyone that one is married.

I'm not married, but in a lot of the movies, a ring on a woman's finger might keep other guys away, maybe.

Or a woman could choose to not wear her wedding ring in order to try and be more available.

I don't know. I'm not a woman. But it seems like it happens (in the movies)

-Sol

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join