It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Feds Close 73,000 Blog Accounts

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 12:03 AM
link   
Is this big brother or is it legitimate?

Why 73,000 WordPress blogs were shut down by the U.S. Government

www.helium.com...

The United States Government shut down about 73,000 WordPress blogs on a single Web site in a move that some fear signals an increasing disregard for individual free speech rights. The action follows the high profile government seizure of seven online movie sites weeks ago. The U.S. move dwarfs current Chinese government activity that shut down only “dozens” of blogs in China.

Recently targeted by federal action, the free WordPress blogging site Blogetery abruptly came offline after hosting provider BurstNet complied with undisclosed demands from authorities. A message viewable upon visiting the Blogetery site gives this message from its owner: "After being BurstNet customer for 7 months our server was terminated without any notification or explanation.” A link on the site leads to a forum called Web Hosting Talk, where the site operator has posted correspondence with BurstNet, that suggests feederal involvement in the incident.

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 12:05 AM
link   
My pathetic search function. My bad please close thread.

Plase go to this thread.

U.S. Authorities Shut Down WordPress Host With 73,000 Blogs
www.abovetopsecret.com...

[edit on 18-7-2010 by acrux]

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 12:07 AM
link   
reply to post by acrux

I read about this on TorrentFreak the other day. From what I gather the site had multiple copyright infringements going on... To me it looks like too many users were abusing the system and sharing files they ought not be sharing.

Check these out:
Link 1

Link 2

Link 3

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 12:11 AM
link   
My pathetic search function. My bad please close thread.

Plase go to this thread.

U.S. Authorities Shut Down WordPress Host With 73,000 Blogs
www.abovetopsecret.com...

[edit on 18-7-2010 by acrux]

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 12:01 PM
link   
I'd wish they get rid of blogs all together. worst invention yet by mankind.

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 08:58 AM
link   
No, don't close this thread. The other one got off on the wrong track. This story is about Blogetory and not Wordpress.

The original story is to be found here:

news.cnet.com...

The shutting down of the blogs remains a mystery. It has nothing to do with copyright infringements.

top topics

join