It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

As of today, it's been 9 months since I had a cigarette!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 17 2010 @ 11:29 PM
link   
Today, July 17th, marks nine months since I quit smoking. It was NOT easy by any stretch of the imagination! I smoked for over 28 years. The first month was pure torture, but I can safely say now that there is a snowball's chance in hell that I will EVER smoke again. They say it takes up to a full year for the body to finish healing itself and the brain to readjust itself to the absence of nicotine. I would have to agree with that, as I have noticed that my patience was cut to a short nub at first and has slowly been regrowing back to it's 'normal' levels. So for anyone out there who is looking to quit, I wish you the best of luck!

Just remember, YOU are the only one stopping yourself from getting that useless monkey off your back!

posted on Jul, 17 2010 @ 11:55 PM
link   
It's been 5 1/2 years since I've had a smoke. I quit cold turkey when they hit $7.00 a pack ( I was only making $7.00 an hour and smoking nearly two packs a day!) It does seem to get better although I do enjoy "second hand smoking" at times. I don't think I'll go back, it is so much easier to breathe ( I also have had asthma since childhood). I think I surprised myself when I was able to quit even while living with active smokers.

Good luck and remember that it is possible to remain a "non-smoker"!

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 12:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by JaxonRoberts
I can safely say now that there is a snowball's chance in hell that I will EVER smoke again.

Congratulations! That's great. I just want to inject a word of caution. Overconfidence about not smoking again can sink you. I know.

I think, once a smoker, you're never the same as a nonsmoker. You have to always be on guard. Just a word to the wise. Keep it up!

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 01:07 PM
link   
Well done.

I stopped smoking a few years ago and I am very happily back in my non-smoker status. Can't stand the things and definitely don't appreciate second hand smoke.

I used to be worried about losing my temper with my very trying boss and that worry kept me smoking for longer than I 'needed' to.

And it was a lot of worry for nothing, the thing that finally tipped me over the edge was a course of anti-biotics from the dentist. They completely fuddled my mind and the day my boss crossed me when I was under the influence of them and raging toothache was one not to be forgotten

So to anyone who keeps smoking to calm their nerves - that's no excuse. You never know what situation will arise that all the cigarettes in the world wouldn't save you from
And you can survive....

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 01:22 PM
link   
reply to post by JaxonRoberts

This October will be 2 years for me.... quit smoking one day and haven't smoked since.
No patches, no weaning off of it, no cutting down and then quitting, just quit.

Most of my friends still smoke so it's often annoying when I'm at their houses, and it gets all smoky....

But I will not smoke again.

It is difficult and I generally have no will power.... so I amazed myself in achieving this and seeing it through.

Congrats to you other peeps too, It's not easy I know.

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 02:13 PM
link   
I don’t smoke and never have done but Congratulations anyway Jaxon!

I know It must have been hard!

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 08:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Rising Against

I remember when I first started smoking last year while in Iraq and began to quit once I came back to the states. Now I am already down to at least 1 cig a week. Had I of started earlier in life maybe quitting would not be an option for me.

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 08:46 PM
link   

Today, July 17th, marks nine months since I quit smoking.

Today, July 22nd, marks around nine minutes since I had a smoke.

You are a better man than me.... For Now...

but I guess it's time to start seriously thinking about that monkey..:shk:

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 04:44 AM
link   
Well done everyone

It must be truly hard...but those benefits will come.

Even you tribewilder, 9 minutes is a good start

posted on Jul, 26 2010 @ 04:26 PM
link   
Congrats...you'll be so much more thankful you did this later on....

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 04:22 PM
link   
It really is a useless annoyance, mostly for me because of the prices!
I enjoy a smoke every now and then, but as soon as the dependance kicks in all enjoyment is gone in my opinion.
Well done everyone for your achievements - shows a level of responsibility for yourself and your families - they are going to want you in prime health!

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 07:31 PM
link   

Today, July 17th, marks nine months since I quit smoking.

Great friend JR, how's August going?

OT's prayin for ya! Keep it up, oldtimer....wow, what a battle, huh?

OT
Phil 1:3

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 10:22 PM
link   
reply to post by JaxonRoberts

Well,good for you.

I read somewhere that there are maximum security prisons that are smoke free now.

Maybe when you have served all your time,and get released you will start back up.

There are tobacco farmers in North Carolina that can't just live on their government subsidies.

They have to have us nicotine addicted fools buying them so they can send their daughters to one of them fancy beauty schools springing up everywhere,with all that stimulus money Obama is giving out for free!

And just for you, a little ditty from years ago.

Feel the urge yet?

[edit on 9-8-2010 by Oneolddude]

top topics

join