It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If you worked for BP, your earnings will be deducted from your claims

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 17 2010 @ 05:01 PM
link   
Another sick move from BP, of course Obama won't say a damn thing about this.

Gulf coast fishermen angry over oil claims ruling

BILOXI, Mississippi (Reuters) – Fishermen in Mississippi say they are angry that under the terms of BP's $20 billion oil spill fund, money they earn doing clean-up will be subtracted from their claim against the company.

The fishermen reacted after Kenneth Feinberg, the federal official in charge of administering the compensation fund, announced the decision at a town hall meeting in Biloxi on Friday.

Some walked out of the meeting in protest, arguing it was pointless to work under the Vessels of Opportunity program, set up by BP to help clean up the damage from the deepwater leak that started in April.

Oil stopped flowing from the leak on Thursday.

"I am furious about this," said Tuget Nguyen, who works with family members as a fisherman in Pass Christian, Mississippi.

"If he takes away the money we are making from BP when we get our claims, then nobody is going to work for BP to clean up this oil and we will not rent our boats to BP either. It is not fair," Nguyen said.

Spread this to everybody!

posted on Jul, 17 2010 @ 06:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

I can see BP's point of view, in that fisherman are losing money by not fishing, because of BP, but in the mean time they are employed by BP to clean up the oil, hence their income is replaced.

What about in the long run the oil clean job won't last indefinately & the time that it takes for the fish stocks to recover is going to take much longer, will the compensation cover the equivalent of their weekly wages until such time as this happens.

Still I think this treatment by BP is a "shower of bastards" act.

[edit on 17-7-2010 by acrux]

posted on Jul, 17 2010 @ 07:04 PM
link   
Perhaps a lawyer could help with this issue, BP should be a lawyers dream

new topics

join