It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Man Excused From Jury Duty After Filing Profane Affadavit

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 17 2010 @ 04:39 PM
link   
Apparantly this man does not believe in the U.S. judicial system, and is therefore excused from jury duty after filing a strongly worded affadavit.

APRIL 30--There are probably better ways to avoid jury duty than the approach recently taken by a Montana man. After Erik Slye, 36, received a jury notice earlier this year, he filed a notarized affidavit seeking to be excused from serving on a District Court panel in Gallatin County. Slye's caustic affidavit, which he prepared with help from his wife Jennifer, can be found below. The document, of course, did not sit well with court officials and led a judge to threaten to jail Slye. But after being summoned to court, Slye apologized for the affidavit and avoided being cited on a criminal failure to appear rap. And he also was excused from serving on a jury.

Picture of the scanned affadavit:

Source: New Wrinkle On Avoiding Jury Duty

If you can't understand the writing, here's what it says:

"Apparently you morons didn't understand me the first time. I CANNOT take time off from work. I'm not putting my familys well being at stake to participate on this crap. I don't believe in our "justice" system and I don't want to have a goddamn thing to do with it. Jury duty is a complete waste of time. I would rather count the wrinkles on my dogs balls than sit on a jury. Get it through your thick skulls. Leave me the F__K alone."

Aren't the people of the jury payed for the participation to easen the monetary loss that they won't get from being at work? What's your opinion of the courts decision? And what is the general view of jury duty among U.S. citizens?

[edit on 17/7/10 by Droogie]

posted on Jul, 17 2010 @ 04:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Droogie

Some jobs compensate your time off, others dont. Jurors ususally get around 10 dollars a day from the government.

posted on Jul, 17 2010 @ 04:47 PM
link   
He could have brought the message a little bit more polite.

posted on Jul, 17 2010 @ 04:48 PM
link   
It's the moments in life like this that truly make me pleased to be here on this world! Without humour, we have nothing. This man and his wife have both given a perfect example to the rest of the complicit complacent Americans that you have to say no to the system you whine about or your whinging will change nothing. And they have also given us a good laugh. Well done!

posted on Jul, 17 2010 @ 04:51 PM
link   
According to this vid. they arrested the idiot and he had to apologize. Lol.

[edit on 17-7-2010 by LadySkadi]

posted on Jul, 17 2010 @ 04:51 PM
link   
Carlin's response was easier. "I'd make a great juror. I can spot guilty people just like that." Snaps fingers.

posted on Jul, 17 2010 @ 04:59 PM
link   
Just say you cannot wait to put someone in jail. That might get you out as well.

As for the man and his wife who wrote the letter (not sure why that took both of them to write considering the content), I think they could have done a much better job of writing it out. Of course had they done so I might not have gotten the chuckle that I did over how some people can be.

Raist

posted on Jul, 17 2010 @ 05:08 PM
link   
I am 100% behind the person who wrote this.

What is the purpose of a jury anyways? It's a JOKE.

The JUDGE does the JUDGING and calls ALL THE SHOTS.

A Judge can OVERTURN the JURY's VERDICT. Happens ALL the time.

I would rather count the wrinkles on that man's dog's ____ as well.

posted on Jul, 17 2010 @ 05:12 PM
link   
The legal way of not presenting to jury duty is to claim you never got the letter. Since most jury summons letters are not sent registered mail, it is a perfectly legal defense to claim you didn't recieve it. All my pilot friend's do this, and when they don't show up it is assumed the letter didn't get to the right party, the party moved, or the letter was lost.

posted on Jul, 17 2010 @ 05:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Raist
Just say you cannot wait to put someone in jail. That might get you out as well.

Just mention you know about jury nullification, are prepared to use it and will discuss it with everyone during deliberations? Maybe that would work.

posted on Jul, 17 2010 @ 05:22 PM
link   
The pure fact juries can be "nullified" proves this system is a sham.

Picking jurors like that, it's pure bias. There is no "random" in it.

Here is a perfect example.

Slave owner kills his slave. Jury trial begins to convict/acquit said slave owner.

The entire jury is filled with OTHER slave owners.

All of these guys acquit their fellow purely because they see nothing wrong with it.

This is not justice. This is how powerful people use the judicial system to get away with their crimes, while punishing the rest of us for minor inconsequential "crimes" like chewing gum in a court room...

It's a freaking Joke.

Vigilante justice is better than this abomination.

posted on Jul, 17 2010 @ 05:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by muzzleflash
All of these guys acquit their fellow purely because they see nothing wrong with it.

That's true, it can be misused but it can also stand curtail tyranny by deciding not to execute unjust laws. They don't want people know about it and it's illegal for lawyers to mention. Heck when I was in the voir dire process once, the judge lied, telling us we have to obey the letter of the law.

posted on Jul, 17 2010 @ 05:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by EnlightenUp
Heck when I was in the voir dire process once, the judge lied, telling us we have to obey the letter of the law.

That is because, if it looks like a Kangaroo, jumps like a Kangaroo, it's probably a Kangaroo.

If the judge lies to the jury, how can there ever be true justice? There cannot be. It's a business not a system of justice. A business built on profits.

Built on the slave labor of it's prisoners. BTW Prisoners in the USA are very commonly put to work FOR corporations making products for like a few cents an hour or something absurd. Then the corporation turns around and makes massive profits on the slave labor products.

Why would I ever support slavery?? I don't.

Therefore the American Judicial System is a complete utter sick joke.

It's essentially a "legalized" way to build chain gangs and provide your buddies corporation with cheap labor. SLAVERY!

That is why the Judge lied. Because he has $$$ to gain, it's SICK. He is actually collecting real hard cash $$$$ from each prosecution. He stands to gain personally financially every time someone gets put in the slammer.

Can anyone say under the table kick backs???

posted on Jul, 17 2010 @ 06:36 PM
link   
Forgive me if I'm reaching here, but does there ring any truth to the movie Runaway Jury? Gene Hackman virtually "picks" a jury that will comply positively with the accuseds cause.

posted on Jul, 17 2010 @ 07:54 PM
link   
That was funny.
I don't agree with not serving on a jury , it your duty as a citizen to serve.

Jury nullification is the act in which the jury refuses to convict because as being "We The People" they may disagree with the law. Which is why each of us must serve on the jury. We are not going to nullify murder, rape. But what about tax evasion, simple possession, medical canabis. Jury nullification is the strongest tool the citizen has.

Too many sheepeople on juries today. They go into court with the belief that the defendent is guilty and willing to just follow the prosecutor lead, ready to convict so they can go home.

Instead, we should enter the court room with pride that we are the answer to tyranny, thinking innocent until proven guilty and do I agree with the law that the defendant is charge violating.

And, IF YOU DO NOT AGREE WITH THE LAW YOU SET THE DEFENDANT FREE NO MATTER IF THE GOVERNMENT PROVED THERE CASE OR NOT!
This is the power of the Jury system.

posted on Jul, 17 2010 @ 08:54 PM
link   
ahh things like this make me glad im bi polar all i have to do is tell them i have a mental illness and they leave me alone but some other good tactics ive heard of working is mutter to your self in the waiting room pretend to talk to your self or your imaginary friends and im not suprised he has these views if he lives in montana we dont like the goverment barely like the state gov problay came out here like most people to just be left alone

posted on Jul, 17 2010 @ 11:56 PM
link   
Self Government does not work if you refuse to participate. That includes Jury Duty !!!!

The reason the system is broke is because people who won't just convict on hearsay refuse to participate.

Nominate this guy for Numb-nuts of the year award.

posted on Jul, 31 2010 @ 05:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Droogie

Yeah, you get paid about $10 a day, if your employer does not reimburse you, you are out of luck.

The jury nullification is a Supreme Court upheld right so everyone should know that.

I have been on two juries, both times the people walked. I have always wanted to get on a jury where there is no victim and talk the jury into jury nullification on the grounds there is no aggrieved party.

I would ask the foreman to send a note to the judge asking for the relevant case history where there was no aggrieved party and also the relevance of jury nullification and what Supreme Court decision backed up the argument of jury nullification.

I would pay money to see the judges face when he read the request!

Have to agree with zzombie, this was a type of guy that should be on a jury. He could probably see that the majority of cases is just more taxation and control by an out of control government.

new topics

top topics

join