My Raw Food Experiment

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 08:37 AM
link   
reply to post by crichton13

I think you are right - there are some foods that benefit greatly from being lightly steamed or blended (pre-digested is another term used by many of the raw food books). As I mentioned in an earlier post, the concept of 'green smoothies' is that you take what would normally be highly undigestible plant matter and blend it up to make it easy to drink and very easy for the body to absorb. The fiber remains intact, but the nutrients are unlocked.

Sprouting is also another way to remove certain things that otherwise would require cooking - these enzyme inhibitors that get broken down when you cook foods (allowing for easier digestion) also are unlocked when you sprout (soak) them. Take raw almonds, for example - they aren't very easy for the body to digest - but if you can get hold of truly raw (unpasturized ones), you can soak them for a day, and they become digestible, sweeter, and a perfect protein source. Many nuts and seeds become more like a vegetable once they are sprouted.

The blender does a marvelous job of taking kale, spinach, chard, etc, and when you mix it with fruit, you have a powerhouse drink. Simple - easy, cost-effective (especially if you buy in bulk, grow your own, or freeze greens ahead of time (freezing can reduce nutrients, but not all)).

Cheers!

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 08:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by kevinunknown
It is fantastic that you are changing your life style like this. But what does this have to do with any conspiracy.

If this is all that's going on in the world ATS should just pack it in.

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 08:51 AM
link   
reply to post by ladyinwaiting

This is actually quite naive. Perhaps you should spend more time in the grocery store. You can get a hamburger meal, for say $5.00. A bundle of fresh asparagus is 5.00, or more, and that is only one portion of a meal.

Um, that's why I was wondering if it was area specific. Again, in cased you missed it, from my experience it has been cheaper for me to buy whole fresh produce than prepared garbage. That's not naive, that's area specific shopping experience. Where do you live and where do you shop?

A fresh bundle of broccoli is always more expensive than frozen. Please don't take my word for it. Go do your own price comparisons.

I thought I mentioned something about frozen food being cheaper? At either rate, I agree, yet frozen broccoli is still considered fresh food to me, not prepared garbage.

I bought three pears earlier this week and they were over $4.00 for the three. You can get a whole can of pears for $2.99.

Jesus... I'd be pissed if they cost that much in my area. $2.99 for a can of pears?! That's utterly insane and they only cost .69 cents at my grocers for a can of halved pears which usually hold three whole pears.

...And you find it compelling to point this out......because, why?

You made a statement and I simply agreed and of all things you chose an agreement as something worthy of argumentation?

Even the frozen foods are loaded with sodium, dyes and preservatives. They are, of course, better than nothing.

What?! I just checked my bagged frozen veggies and the only ingredient is... the veggie.

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 08:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by CosmicEgg

And once again, you're going to have to do a bit more research using your own body to know the truth here. Drinking too much washes out water-soluble vitamins, but it also introduces heavy metals into the body quite unnecessarily - because very few places on Earth have really clean water. If you need to retain water in your circulatory system, which is closed I might add, then bump up your salt intake too. Not iodized salt though, use uncleaned sea salt.

I realize I was a little harsh and I do applaud your ability to provide a reasonable answer to my somewhat cynical post, I guess it was just because of the fact that I completely disagreed with the idea that part of a healthy diet was obtaining all your liquids from solid foods.

I agree with your point that most water probably has harmful metals in it and for that reason shouldn't be taken in vast amounts. However I have never felt that this has ever impacted my health and I guess I am of the old school in the way that I feel a person can't avoid all the harmful things in nature or their body will eventually be less able to resist them. I am also very aware that too much water can dilute the body of valuable vitamins, heck too much water can even kill you but this also takes vast amounts of water, more than anyone would reasonably drink.

I have also heard, and believe, that by the time you are thirsty, you're body is already dehydrated, for this reason, and considering that your body is about 60% water, I drink a moderate number of liquids throughout the day even if I am not thirsty. This is also probably because I excersize a bit and it is always unpleasant to excersize when you are already thirsty.

Another reason that waiting until your thirsty might not be a great idea is that I have also heard and believe that people can mistake thirst for hunger. I know I have made this mistake, and sometimes when I'm feeling hungry when I dont think that I should, I ask myself, could I just be thirsty? and alot of the time this is the case.

Also, if I am in a gas station or something, and I am craving a twinky or a bag of chips, it is also sometimes because I haven't eaten recently and I should probably go home, have some healthy food, and then ask myself if I still want a candy bar. Listening to your body when it comes to food is also important.

I just feel that people rarely think rationally about food. The OP even stated that he went from an extremely unhealthy diet to an extreme raw food diet. Unless he made a complete personality transformation over night, this will probably not last, and a more gradual approach to healthy eating would probably be more succesful.

It also seems like his new approach to eating takes just as much time as eating a normal healthy diet would (for example, I have used a juicer and those things are not exactly expedient, you have to put a decent amount of fruit in for a small amount of juice and the cleaning after each use can be kind of rediculous). So this shows that time might not be the main issue as much as a matter of prioritizing.

I feel that living a healthy lifestyle is as simple as eating a moderate amount of food that does not contain too many fats, sugars, or strange chemicals, and having a good excersize regimen.

I guess I just get wary of the fact that so many people eat way more calories, fat, sugars and other such than they should, and don't excersize, and then wonder why the doctor says they are not healthy.

Going on a raw food diet can also be a great idea, just remember to be rational about it.

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 08:54 AM
link   
Best of luck to you, OP.

Really, though. If I wanted to add more fruit into my diet I'd just become a homosexual.

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 08:58 AM
link   
Think about eliminating gluten from your diet. A lot of people are intolerant of it and never realize it (some people believe upwards of 10% of the population).

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 09:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by Whine Flu
Best of luck to you, OP.

Really, though. If I wanted to add more fruit into my diet I'd just become a homosexual.

Look up vegan body building. Not exactly sure if that's why your equating more fruits and veggies as being "gay".

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 09:12 AM
link   
reply to post by sirnex

I like this site because everyone here is so busy being argumentitively minded that they can't even see simple jokes and end up semantically ripping it apart like an Asperger's sufferer.

Hey, look, I'll kill the joke: a homosexual person is often called a 'fruit'.

I didn't try to be derogatory to vegans.

...Why'd you bring up vegan bodybuilders for, anyway? I mean, if they do it for you, stud, more power to you.

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 09:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by Whine Flu
reply to post by sirnex

I like this site because everyone here is so busy being argumentitively minded that they can't even see simple jokes and end up semantically ripping it apart like an Asperger's sufferer.

Hey, look, I'll kill the joke: a homosexual person is often called a 'fruit'.

I didn't try to be derogatory to vegans.

...Why'd you bring up vegan bodybuilders for, anyway? I mean, if they do it for you, stud, more power to you.

Sorry, I didn't catch the sarcasm or joke being conveyed without proper tone and inflection on the internet. The way it was worded, I read it as equating a vegan diet as being gay. Often times I see arguments that eating raw foods means you're unable to build muscle which is what prompted me to mention vegan body builders.

[edit]

To clarify, I usually equate homosexuals as feminine and weak in body structure. I haven't personally met any big muscled gay's in my area.

[edit on 18-7-2010 by sirnex]

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 09:28 AM
link   
carrot and radish is a good combo for the juicer.

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 09:33 AM
link   
reply to post by sirnex

No probs!

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 09:34 AM
link   
Organic....organic....might as well start off right
I mean, if you are indeed "detoxing" it wouldn't be best to be eating the same ol' pesticides as was present in your other food.

Originally posted by sirnex
To clarify, I usually equate homosexuals as feminine and weak in body structure. I haven't personally met any big muscled gay's in my area.

[edit on 18-7-2010 by sirnex]

You do know gay guys are leaner than straight guys on average I hope. I'd call being fat weak in body structure since, well, you don't see many fat athletes do you.

[edit on 18-7-2010 by ghaleon12]

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 09:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by pikypiky
Err. Raw food? As in uncooked? Aren't you worried about parasites? Those critters live on just about anything that is not COOKED! Cook the salmon for crying out loud! You never know!

Love fruits and vegetable. But be sure to wash away the dirt, grime and slimy stuff from leafy vegetables very well. Good luck with your health.

you obviously didn't read the original post - it's SMOKED salmon - OP is going to have about 75% raw food.

It's a good plan, but make sure that you're eating enough. You'll be amazed at thow much fruit and veg you need to eat to even maintain a recommended dieter's dailiy calorie consumption of around 1300 calories. I do something similar - I'm down 40 lbs in 4 months and blood pressure and blood glucose has dropped significantly.

Make sure you have SOME fat in your diet - salmon is a good choice - as we all need some healthy fats to function.

The conspiracy part of this would be the following - did you know that if everyone in the USA ate the FDA "recommended daily amounts of fruit and veg" that there wouldn't be enough to go around - even accounting for imports? The Government NEEDS lots of people to eat badly so theat the people don't realize how precarious the food chain actually is.

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 09:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Brentnauer

Cooking is important as it allows our bodies to more easily absorb the nutrients in food. We have adapted to accepting food as cooked, our bodies just can't break down vegetable matter like rabbits and other animals. Because of this i would suggest you take a standard multivitamin/mineral to cover your nutritional bases.

Other than that well done on making a choice to improve your health and good luck with it.

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 09:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by babybunnies
you obviously didn't read the original post - it's SMOKED salmon - OP is going to have about 75% raw food.

It's a good plan, but make sure that you're eating enough. You'll be amazed at thow much fruit and veg you need to eat to even maintain a recommended dieter's dailiy calorie consumption of around 1300 calories. I do something similar - I'm down 40 lbs in 4 months and blood pressure and blood glucose has dropped significantly.

This is fantastic well done, more people need to learn to eat well and stay in a healthy weight range. I hope a moderator gives you some applause for this accomplishment

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 09:52 AM
link   
I have been attempting to eat healthier for some time ,..I have stopped all fast food & pop for over a year now & I do feel alot better , I go to the local farmers market , the only problem I have is with chicken , it seems no matter where I get it even if its supposed to be free range organic , I for some reason have a chemical taste with it , I occasionally have this with other foods ,..I guess I may have sensitivity now to it ,...but with chicken almost every time I cant eat it becuase I swear I can taste chemicals, its hard to describe it reminds me of bug spray,...
anyway after you stop the fast food , if you try it again it will likely taste unappealing to you , heavy & greasy & will make you feel sick

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 10:01 AM
link   
reply to post by codefox

The problem with farmers markets is you do sometimes get some rather dishonest individuals who will try and sell hormone pumped chicken as organic and free range. The markets try and stop this but it's difficult sometimes. Of course it might just be your taste buds, if you don't like it try turkey instead or even rabbit. Rabbit has less fat than skinless chicken breast and is often cheaper.

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 10:05 AM
link   
reply to post by ghaleon12

You do know gay guys are leaner than straight guys on average I hope. I'd call being fat weak in body structure since, well, you don't see many fat athletes do you.

I suppose that's one end of the extreme. The first thing that pops into my head when I hear weak is lack of musculature structure. Don't see many athletes lacking muscles either.

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 10:35 AM
link   
Dude the ultimate juice is: Apples, Carrots, Beets (not too much or you will vomit), and Ginger. I like to call it a Ginger Bunny. So Yummy.

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 10:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Brentnauer

Well Brentnauer,. Good luck to you,..Please keep the thread updated,.. My daughter has converted to being a vegan after watching the movie "Food Inc." she was a bit freaked out by the process the food industries use.. and well I was kinda awakened to that myself,. however I still love meat. I just try to eat homegrown farm raised meats. AS for your thought of the juicer,. great idea. One thing to keep in mind about store bought juices is MANY of them contain High fructose corn syrup, of which is a junk sugar. try to steer clear of that. Good idea tryin to stay away from the fast food industry.

What may people don't understand about not eating healthy is that your simply not getting the real nutrition your body needs. And your just filling the body with junk fillers.. In order for the fast food industry to keep the product at a competitive price, they use the cheapest versions of food possible.Much of it is a lab created food look alike.

Also Soy is a HUGE part of the food industry filler,.. because it is cheap and can be made to look and taste like almost anything. Of which Soy is not Really good for you.
www.healingcrow.com...

There are many arguments about this, all I will say is even the cigarette companies " hired" the best scientists to say their product wasn't bad for you.
hubpages.com...
There is another link to think about for overall health'
'
Good Luck to you.. LDB

[edit on 18-7-2010 by Lil Drummerboy]

new topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join