It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Woman Claims Cancer Cured By Prayer

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 17 2010 @ 12:04 PM
link   

Woman Claims Cancer Cured By Prayer

www.fox2now.com

ST. LOUIS, MO (KTVI-FOX2Now.com) - Was a cancer recovery a miracle? The St. Louis Catholic Archdiocese thinks so. They say a St. Louis woman's cancer has vanished because of her prayers to a priest who's now on the verge of becoming a saint. They've asked the Vatican to certify her case miracle.

There are some things medical science can't explain. Rachel Lozano's cure is one of them. Rachel Lozano was first diagnosed with a rare form of cancer when she was fifteen. By the year 2000 it looked hopeless. On a church trip that year to the Vatican for a ceremony honoring Father William Cham
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 17 2010 @ 12:04 PM
link   
I think that it is wonderful that this woman survived her battle with cancer. With that said, I don't believe it was prayer that saved her. I believe that advances in medicine and tecnology is what saved this woman. I think the Catholic church should be worrying about some of their pedophiliac priests and not a woman who had cancer and a French priest becoming a saint.

www.fox2now.com

posted on Jul, 17 2010 @ 12:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by SUICIDEHK45

I think that it is wonderful that this woman survived her battle with cancer. With that said, I don't believe it was prayer that saved her. I believe that advances in medicine and tecnology is what saved this woman. I think the Catholic church should be worrying about some of their pedophiliac priests and not a woman who had cancer and a French priest becoming a saint.

www.fox2now.com

Oh yes, let's all pray to the baby raping pedophiles to save us.
And what is it with Missouri. Diocese of St Louis and Westboro Baptist Church. Neighbors? Fellow travelers in evil?

posted on Jul, 17 2010 @ 12:42 PM
link   
The cancer is gone.

If she wants to believe that prayer saved her life then let her. Its not hurting anyone. The cancer that seemed hopeless started to disappear after a trip to the vatican where she prayed. So to one of faith it could seem like a miracle.

To those who don't believe it is merely a coincidence that her treatments started to kick at the same time of her trip.

Either way, she will live and what most people on here will do is ridicule her for thinking it was prayer that saved her life.

posted on Jul, 17 2010 @ 12:42 PM
link   
It's great that she is cured but since the method was prayer, I think she would have been cured just the same without praying.

posted on Jul, 17 2010 @ 12:49 PM
link   
Ah, the cynics converge.

I'm certianly not going to try to defend the Vatican here. I'm about as anti-religious as they come.

But I am spiritual. It's hard for me to believe that you open-minded folks could have been alive this long without understanding that there are some basic spiritual truths that operate in the Universe.

Life works this way: Energy is created by THOUGHT, WORD, DEED. Action is created when we first think something (I'm hungry), then we say it outloud or to ourselves (I'm getting up to the walk to the refigerator), and then following up with action (I'm now eating.) Now, this is a very simplistic explanation, but the point is that everything we create (both physical and non physical) first starts with a THOUGHT. There's nothing fancy or New Age about that---it's just the way it is. Everything invented, created, made, done, experienced, etc. FIRST started with a thought. Our thoughts are creative.

If life works in this way, then why couldn't we cure ourselves with prayer? After all, prayer is just a form of thought, is it not? Actually, it's a form of meditation, and studies show that meditation is a powerful form of energy. If we direct our thoughts in the belief that we will be cured, why would energy not follow that thought? It certainly does for everything else, so why not for illness?

posted on Jul, 17 2010 @ 01:01 PM
link   
reply to post by MRuss

I am also spiritual.

But, the article says she prayed to a priest. Now, I'm not the be all end all on Christianity, but wasn't one of God's commandments that we shall have "no other gods before me"?

And now the priest is being considered a saint? Because he healed her in the eyes of the Vatican, not God.

That's my problem with this story.

posted on Jul, 17 2010 @ 01:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Nutter

The Catholic Church's decision to possibly nominate the priest for sainthood does not, in and of itself, has nothing to do with the question of whether prayer helped heal this woman.

I find it interesting how many, "non-believers,"seize every opportunity to ridicule those who do believe. If faith is nothing more than a silly acceptance of fairy tales, then why do you expend so much energy trying to prove it wrong?

The article says that science cannot explain why she has been cured. If that is the case then you can't explain this away by claiming that her treatment coincidentally kicked in once she started praying. And one does not pray TO a priest, you pray WITH a priest.

A priest is not God. A priest is not any holier or closer to God than anyone else. That said, my problems with organized religion in general and Catholicism in particular are numerous so please do not mistake me for an apologist.

I agree that we have no proof that prayer healed the woman but I would ask you to all keep in mind that neither do we have proof that some other force of nature or science cured her.

I'll keep a very open mind on the topic, if you don't mind.

posted on Jul, 17 2010 @ 01:26 PM
link   
I think it comes to mind over matter, to extend your thoughts outward towards the external world instead of the internal. Call it co incidence, but I still remember feeling a horrible pain in my chest looking at the clock while in class a few years ago, and remember the time was 4:40. Found out my grandma died the exact same time. For me that was weird, never had a problem like that in my life.

posted on Jul, 17 2010 @ 01:29 PM
link   
What about the countless others who have prayed and sadly succumbed to cancer? That's what gets me about these stories, like when a disaster happens and a survivor says words to the effect of "I believe God saved me from death". What about the others? Were they not worthy of saviour?

posted on Jul, 17 2010 @ 01:32 PM
link   
Why save one woman when there are millions/billions of dying, starving etc, especially children?

Sorry, doesn't make sense.

I am happy for the woman that her body managed to beat cancer though!

posted on Jul, 17 2010 @ 01:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nutter
reply to post by MRuss

I am also spiritual.

But, the article says she prayed to a priest. Now, I'm not the be all end all on Christianity, but wasn't one of God's commandments that we shall have "no other gods before me"?

And now the priest is being considered a saint? Because he healed her in the eyes of the Vatican, not God.

That's my problem with this story.

Intercessory prayers aren't the same thing as praying to God. It's the belief (I think it's wholly Catholic, but I could be mistaken) that there are degrees of "closeness" to God, and if you ask someone else, even someone deceased, to pray on your behalf, it's better than just doing it yourself. Praying the "Hail Mary" is another example -- one is not worshiping Mary, one is asking Mary to help you plead your case to God.

Sainthood is kind of the same thing -- the belief is not that he cured anything, rather that his intercessory prayer convinced God to do it.

Frankly, not being Catholic, I'm not sure how much I put in that, but I wanted to answer your questions.

posted on Jul, 17 2010 @ 03:03 PM
link   
To those who are saying that she prayed with a priest, read the article again. It clearly states she prayed TO the priest.

Now, I understand that praying with a priest is not in itself praying to a god, but praying TO a priest is IMO.

[edit on 17-7-2010 by Nutter]

posted on Jul, 17 2010 @ 03:08 PM
link   
Not to mention these little tid bits from the article:

After an investigation the St. Louis Archdiocese concluded it was the prayers and Chaminnade that cured the cancer

No mention of God who cured the cancer, but that Chaminnade cured the cancer.

I really felt a connection and felt that he was the person to pray to. It was very faith-driven." said Cancer Survivor Rachel Lozano

Again. he was the person to pray to. Not God.

[edit on 17-7-2010 by Nutter]

posted on Jul, 17 2010 @ 03:16 PM
link   
With the exception of MRUSS, it amazes me how many people lack a basic understanding of the universe, and how we relate and interact with it.

Before you get lost in the convoluted intricancy's of religion, faith, or god.

You must understand that it does not matter who you pray, or meditate to, ... as long as YOU believe it will work. Faith is an extremely personal thing, it is not the same for all of us.

Some pray to god, jesus, krishna, the buddha, yet in the end it is all equal, because we are simply using our own way to initiate the basic creaing forces of the universe.

The method does not matter, only the will.

posted on Jul, 17 2010 @ 03:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nutter
Not to mention these little tid bits from the article:

After an investigation the St. Louis Archdiocese concluded it was the prayers and Chaminnade that cured the cancer

No mention of God who cured the cancer, but that Chaminnade cured the cancer.

I really felt a connection and felt that he was the person to pray to. It was very faith-driven." said Cancer Survivor Rachel Lozano

Again. he was the person to pray to. Not God.

An intercessory prayer is a prayer to that person, but it isn't the same thing as praying to God. People "pray to" Saints all of the time, it's not a new or weird concept.

Rather than a news article, I would like to see the original Archdiocese document that declares that the priest cured the cancer, as I find it hard to believe that the Church would make such a statement, but fairly easy to believe that a journalist would make such a mistake.

posted on Jul, 17 2010 @ 03:21 PM
link   
reply to post by IntastellaBurst

That is part of my point. IMO this woman should be the one who is up for sainthood as she is the one who prayed and God saw it fit to save her. Who needs an intermediary between themselves and God?

posted on Jul, 17 2010 @ 03:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Nutter

I will have to agree with you on this one. I am sure you know by now my stance on Christianity, so I can agree that you pray to no one aside from God.

On that same token there was a case when a man was casting out demon, the disciples came to Jesus explaining there was a man doing so only not in His name. Jesus basically told them to leave the man be, because at least he demons were being cast out. We are also told that not all who call Lord, Lord will be saved. So where does that lead my belief? In the end everything will work out the way it is supposed to, sadly though many will be confused and follow the wrong path.

My opinion is praying TO a priest as the article says is wrong. That fact that no one is giving glory to God over this matter is enough to tell me to shy away from this sort of thing.

Raist

posted on Jul, 17 2010 @ 03:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Nutter

See, thats what you don't get, ..... this whole process had nothing to do with god.

It was only her "belief" in god which allowed her to access these abilities.

But your on the right track. There are no intermediaries between what we percieve as "god" and ourselves, in truth there is no seperation at all. We are one.

posted on Jul, 17 2010 @ 03:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by SUICIDEHK45
I believe that advances in medicine and tecnology is what saved this woman.

And yet, millions of people each year around the world die of cancer despite your "advances in medicine and technology." Think!

Now, with that being said, healing does not come by praying to an ordinary man such as a priest. That is new age bovine excrement! Healing's can come about through prayer...to the Lord Jesus Christ only! My grandmother has diagnosed several years ago with brain cancer as evidences through cat scans. The scans revealed tumors in her brain and the doctors told her it was terminal. She was always a church going Christian woman. She asked the pastor, who was an old time good Christian man, to pray over her. As the prayer was given she said she felt a warmth start at her feet and move up her body till it exited through the top of her head. She knew she had been healed. Days later she had another scan performed. When the results came in there were no tumors in sight. That was years ago and she is still alive cancer free.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join