It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Got back from movie inception, raises several great concepts, like concept of Time

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 17 2010 @ 10:44 AM
link   
First dont read further if you dont want SPOILERS about the movie.

This was a great movie and actually thought provoking. I am assuming those who are reading this have seen the movie already so I wont go into the details.

But the main thing that interested me was the concept of how time is so different in our dreams as compared to reality. Especially as the deeper you go with having dreams within dreams (which I think is one concept that is not possible, but more on that later)

I know when I dream most times they are blurry, certainly not crisp like how in the movie, i understand its a movie but was wondering if others when they dream how they see it?

The director didnt delve to deep into the technology or the concept of how the shared dreaming equipment works. Other than to see it was military developed, which probably will be the case should something like this actually be created.

But the main point I really took to was how time is so different in a dream from real life, i think they said 5 minutes pass in real life and an hour passes in a dream.

This has some truth to it from my personal experiences, I know many times will wake up from a dream that seemed to go on forever but I have only been asleep for 20 mins.

What has been other peoples experiences?

posted on Jul, 17 2010 @ 11:18 AM
link   
yes it was a very conceptually deep movie. like all movies of this nature i think there are elements of truth to it.

i definatly think the "Dream within a dream" or the different levels of the dreams are not possible. however the infinite consciousness aka "limbo" state i do believe is a real state.

i found a lot of interesting similarities about my dreams and how dreams were presented in the movie, like how things seem normal until you wake up and have something to compare it to. For instance when that girl started folding the city in half. or how i never remember how i got into a situation in a dream, they always seem to start right in the middle. like when Fischer was at the bar and he asked him to try to rember how he got there.

the time distortion phenomenon i have experienced before but not in a normal dream state. i was in a psychedelic psychosis locked in a bathroom and watched minutes on the clock go by what felt in my mind as years. the reason it was so profound was due to the unique position it took in my mind as a memory, which is how i think i was able to quantify the term "years".

posted on Jul, 17 2010 @ 11:27 AM
link   
The dream within a dream idea is most likely possible, in my opinion. Just consider that there are no limits to what is possible in dreams. If this is true, then there is nothing stopping "nested dreaming". I think normally if one tried this, there would be no stability andthe experiencewould be much different than what happened in the story. But, since there were multiple people involved with the dreams, then there was a kind of reinforcement of the illusion, a consensus locking in the logic followed by all the participants.

posted on Jul, 17 2010 @ 11:45 AM
link   
I once dreamed that I awoke from dreaming that I was being stabbed. I had about 2 or 3 dreams where I was dreming within a dream. Does that mean theres something wrong with me. Am I a nut case? Am I a genius? Am I rain man? But seriously I asked friends if they had a dream where they we were dreaming few said yes and was quite surprised when the Op said that could be impossible it got me to thinking about wether I was rain man wacko.

posted on Jul, 17 2010 @ 11:47 AM
link   
I have been wanting to see this movie. I saw the previews and it struck me odd that here lately, as in the past half year or so, that I have become more aware of myself in dreams. By that I mean, I have been able to control and will things to happen. Kind of neat to think about when I wake up though.

posted on Jul, 17 2010 @ 11:48 AM
link   
reply to post by theflyingscudman

Thats an intersting point that by having shared dreams you act as each others reinforcement which allows for deeper dream states.

But even if anything is possible in a dream the idea that one could delve into another dream from within one, i just dont think the mind can handle that(at least not on its own, would need a computer to help). Since it would mean having two dreams at the same time. Would almost require something like a multiple core brain similar to processors.

Granted the mind is beyond amazing and we dont know what its capable of, just imagining the mind being able to handle dreaming inside of a dream is beyond me at least.

I dont mean waking up in a dream from a dream either, that has happened to me, but rather I mean having multiple dreams occuring at the same time, where the effects of one impact the deeper dreams, like how the van flipped they started tumbling.

THat being said I do agree with LurkerMan that limbo is possible, of course for Saito he aged so greatly in limbo because he died 3 dream levels down. Regardless falling into limbo where we lose all grasp of being in a dream and it becomes our real world raises the concept like cobb said we became old souls in a matter of hours.

The most exciting part of this whole thing to me was that if something like this is possible would it not allow for our scientific and technological capabilities to advance at ridiculous speeds, since researchers can work on thier projects inside of dreams where they have more control and resources and time is in thier favor.

[edit on 17-7-2010 by Desolate Cancer]

posted on Jul, 17 2010 @ 11:52 AM
link   
reply to post by wickd_waze

Nah I dont think anything is wrong with you, I to have woken up in a dream from another dream. However the concept that the first level dreams would have an effect on how things are going in the deeper dreams is the part I think is not possible.

posted on Jul, 17 2010 @ 06:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Desolate Cancer

As far as the capacity and limits of consciousness unbound by temporal five sense input, I think that this movie is an understatement of what is possible through dreams. I have personally had dreams that span years, ones that I grow up to an old man and go through long, linear stories and unwarvering plots. The idea of dreams within dreams seams fantastic, but just think about it. I could definitely imagine have a dream like that. If I had it, I wouldn't beshocked or conflicted by the seemingly impossibility of the episode. I would be elated and amazed, though. The time extrapolation thing is cool, but I don't think that there is any real translation from waking time to dream time. It's all relative. They just needed to nail it down for the movie so the plot would have coherence and a sense of danger.

posted on Jul, 17 2010 @ 07:06 PM
link   
reply to post by wickd_waze

This is quite common, but your dream body is not actually dreaming. It's still you dreaming, I think this is what he means. Sure it is possible to have an experience that seems like a dream within a dream, but it's all really the same dream - it's all one dream coming from one place.

posted on Jul, 17 2010 @ 07:18 PM
link   
I also don't believe time can be slowed down in a dream. Though one can feel that their dream was that long in various ways. It's like the movie Inception, thankfully, it relaxes you and so much happens that you feel like you were watching it for 8 hours. In reality it was more like 3. Deep down, I really thought it would be dark outside when I got out of there, and it was bright as day - the movie had fully tricked my mind and body into believing more time went by than did.

Dreams can do this because the scene can change from second to second, and your mind will justify the new scene with a tacit memory of "How you got there."

That's why you really have to ask yourself "How did I get here" because your mind is providing filler for that. So if you are 5 in one scene, and 50 in the next - you will get the filler and the feeling, but your dream will not have literally lasted 45 years. Now watch someone dream and go from age 5 to 10 to 15 to 20 and so on, they will wake up with specific memories just like in real life you only remember key things, and it will feel like the dream lasted that long. It's an easily explained illusion.

If you literally lived 50 years in a dream, that wasn't a dream, it was a supernatural experience.

BTW: Cobb telling the girl to ask herself "How did I get here" is probably the most legitimate lucid dream advice in the movie! That's a great way to gain a powerful lucidity.

[edit on 17-7-2010 by Novise]

posted on Jul, 17 2010 @ 07:28 PM
link   
Dreams ARE a supernatural experience, my friend. I don't know about you, but every time I wake up and realize I can sleep another ten minutes before I need to get up and start my day, I end up have long elaborate dreams, snapping awake when I realize I am dreaming and thinking that I've slept in something like an hour, but it always turns out that maybe one or two minutes have gone by. I think our perception of time is tied down by our senses, one thing objectively happening after another at a universal pace. When you take away the world and leave time to consciousness, there is nothing to hinder your experiences. Think of it like this: it might take an hour and a half to watch a movie, but mere minutes or seconds to pull it off a hard drive.

posted on Jul, 17 2010 @ 07:53 PM
link   
reply to post by theflyingscudman

No that's cool and I like that, I just think I pretty much said what I think is occurring in that situation, and yes it could happen within a few minutes even. It's really up to you, whether you use the words "It seemed to" or "It did."

When dealing with experiences, so much of this is beside the point though, I find. I think it's awesome that you've had those dreams, and that's the real victory. Like the movie insinuated, no creative experience can really beat dreaming - I find this to be true.

posted on Jul, 17 2010 @ 08:43 PM
link   
Well I couldn't/didn't read your post because you said there were spoilers from the movie. Why don't you post this on IMDb and I'll read it after I watch

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 12:35 AM
link   
Damn guys I saw Inception tonight. I don't know that i can think of a better movie. Original, inventive, brilliant. Psy-Fi. The less you know about it going into the better. The score by Hans Zimmer is one of the best I've ever heard. Definitely the kind of movie worth going to the movies to see. And I thought 2010 was the worst year for movies ever. If Titantic made $1 billion at the box office, in a world I'd want to live in this would make 20 times that.

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 12:53 AM
link   
i believe that people who are comatose or in a vegetable state are stuck in the limbo state, which is why i am against life support without the consent of the person themselves.

i would rather die and move on to the next life, than live and suffer in a fake one.

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 12:56 AM
link   
I have a thread that discusses time in dreams that I was writing pre-inception the timing with inception was strange to say the least... here is the article.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 01:46 AM
link   
I've had dreams where I keep waking up and it turns out I'm still dreaming. At times I've wanted to get out of the dream, and fail many times in a row, getting rather annoyed. "Dream within a dream" definitely happens and it's effectively recursive dreaming even though it's actually serialized and just straightforward dreaming

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 01:57 AM
link   
I liked the movie too...

the concepts of a dream with in a dream and the depth of the dream was fantastic.

But, for me it all Fell apart on one issue....

Oh yes and there was alot of masonic symbology in it....

besides that point, on a technical issue.

they use hardware and equipment to induce the dream and they all join in on a single dream create and share the experience.

as i said EQUIPMENT

one the dream has been induced...and they are all in this said dreamstate...
but then they need to go down another level...they all plug in

But there's the rub, they are actually only plugging into dream equipment.

the equipment at this point is not real...therefore it would only have a dream function of the equipment...not a realstate function.

It is just an observation i had made which let me down on the concept a bit.

But the whole film acting imagry was really good.

but i think in the dream state...there is no need for the imaginary equpiment...it works as a token function to go to a deeper level but in that case you would not need to leave a member behind on each level.

overall enjoyed the movie....a good watch.

[edit on 013131p://f59Friday by plube]

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 01:26 PM
link   
i haven't seen the movie, but would like to know some of the themes of the movie. Anyone want to offer a synopsis of the movie? star for you if you can please.

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 01:34 PM
link   
I used to have this old Westclox alarm clock. When it rang you'd press the button on top but five minutes later it would give another short ring, just to make sure you were awake. Often I'd switch it off then fall straight back to sleep and have a nice long, long, dream before that five minutes was up.

<<   2 >>

join