It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Satellite Imagery of Possible Large Methane Blowouts !

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 17 2010 @ 11:40 AM
link   
I am not typically a "believer" of prophecy, but I do enjoy following the subject and absorbing as much of it as I can (from various cultures around the world).

But when you said "methane Armageddon", I couldn't help but immediately think of a biblical prophetic context.

Around ATS it gets mentioned all of the time about the prophecy that the seas will turn colors and the life in them will die (well a large portion of it anyhow).

But remember, in the Bible it says that "God chooses not to flood the Earth again, and the next cataclysm will be by Fire".

Well couldn't massive amounts of methane in the atmosphere potentially erupt and cause "fire and brimstone" to "fall from the sky"?

Ok ok, I am probably just going way off the deep end there. It probably isn't even scientifically possible. *Maybe it IS possible though*

I think it was my wife who mentioned that theory to me a few days ago.

I am sorry to go a bit off topic on that, but seeing pictures of massive *Somethings* that might be blowout bubbles; got me thinking a little more deeply about the weird notion of "destruction by fire from the sky" that is a commonly known prophecy.

I only bring this up as purely speculative banter, since we are still trying to figure out what is going on in the Gulf (thanks MSM for nothing lol).

And a few facts about methane cause me to mention it.

Methane is not toxic; however,it is highly flammable and may form explosive mixtures with air.

The Wiki also states that methane breaks down within the atmosphere after roughly 14 years.

As a result, methane in the atmosphere has a half life of seven years

A citation is needed for this tidbit, so it's veracity is unknown to me currently.

en.wikipedia.org...

So in the long term, Earth will survive this easily.

But in the short term this could be quite devastating to our society...

Granted we have multiple methane blowouts here. Which seems possible to me. However unlikely it seems, it is still possible.

[edit on 17-7-2010 by muzzleflash]

posted on Jul, 17 2010 @ 11:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by OzWeatherman
I think its more likely that its from fire.

Although I really hope you are right about this, I have questions.

These almost circular shaped objects may be fires, but doesn't smoke from fires get caught in the wind?

And doesn't it typically stream out into a line, spreading out?

Rather than forming a stationary bubble shape?

That is why I am curious...

[edit on 17-7-2010 by muzzleflash]

posted on Jul, 17 2010 @ 11:52 AM
link   
reply to post by justadood

Your question is not a foolish one! I appologize for not getting your question. These images are directly from the CSTARS Satellite GIS and Logistics website, VIA the University of Miami

I hope this will assist you in making a determination about these images!

thanks for posting...

posted on Jul, 17 2010 @ 11:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by muzzleflash
Although I really hope you are right about this, I have questions.

These almost circular shaped objects may be fires, but doesn't smoke from fires get caught in the wind?

And doesn't it typically stream out into a line, spreading out?

Rather than forming a stationary bubble shape?

That is why I am curious...

Well yes it would be affected by wind, even though tropical and sub tropical winds are quite light in comparison to other latitudes. But remember also, that a methane gas cloud would behave in the same way.

posted on Jul, 17 2010 @ 12:34 PM
link   
Here is a clear image of the location off the western coast of florida for 7.5.2010...

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/5e8c23725fb9.jpg[/atsimg]

Notice the clarity of the water.

Notice the patern of the rift beginning to formulate via small gushers of methane gas.

Notice that it's not an island or the Keys.

@ Muzzleflash

Yes, if they were indeed fires the plumes of smoke would drift in a straight line in the direction the wind is most prevelant, similar to how volcanic ash drifts durrring an eruption. A note to ponder here about smoke however in IR imagery: I don't think smoke will appear white, but as a dark plume.

Notice there are no straight, dark, whispy plumes comming from these images...

The images we are looking at are of large erruptions of gas bubbles under water. That would be visable to IR. once the gas vaporises into the air it would indeed become invisible to an IR imagery feed.

[edit on 7/17/2010 by Megiddodiddo]

posted on Jul, 17 2010 @ 12:44 PM
link   
First, it's important to know what kind of images we are looking at. CSTARS is using various satellites which make use of SAR (Synthetic Aperature Radar). These are not infrared images, these are not visual images. They are representations of slight differences in the surface of the ocean. They are not images of clouds or anything else in the atmosphere and they are not images of anything below the surface of the water. In effect, they can be considered to be images of ocean winds and currents.

You are right that the region covered is near Florida Keys. But you are incorrect about seeing a methane release. What you are seeing is the Keys themselves and the effects they cause on the surface of the ocean.
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/fe10a66c47a9.gif[/atsimg]

Winds and currents often form eddies. Here is an image of an area in the Gulf of Mexico, taken from the space shuttle Atlantis in 1991. There is nothing "on" the water, all we are seeing is patterns in the reflectivity of the surface caused by waves and ripples. The same thing seen in the images from CSTARS but made visible by the angle of the sunlight.

[edit on 7/17/2010 by Phage]

posted on Jul, 17 2010 @ 01:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Megiddodiddo

That is Florida but it is not the west coast. It is Saint Joseph and Apalachicola Bays, the southern coast of the Florida panhandle (and the west end of Cuba).

Sorry, it is off the coast. More than 100 miles. That may be oil slicks in the northern part of the image.

posted on Jul, 17 2010 @ 02:04 PM
link   
Blowouts would explain why the Navy high-tailed it out of there.

posted on Jul, 17 2010 @ 02:22 PM
link   
If the angels have really started pouring out the bowls and the seals, then what can we do? Sorry, I'm just a little in shock! That's a very big "IF", too, because I don't know if that is what is happening, and I'm praying and hoping that it is NOT what is happening. I recently moved away from the Gulf Coast, but my heart is still there. Also, I moved away, but I still might not be far enough away!

posted on Jul, 17 2010 @ 03:40 PM
link   
Thanks for the Clarification on this Phage!

The overlays match perfectly... I guess my interperatation of those images was off. I Swear, that didn't appear to be an island lol, but instead a rumbling mass of bubbles. (goes off to have another beer...)

=
=

In rhetrospect, I'm relieved that this isn't what I thought it originally was!

posted on Jul, 17 2010 @ 03:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
First, it's important to know what kind of images we are looking at. CSTARS is using various satellites which make use of SAR (Synthetic Aperature Radar). These are not infrared images, these are not visual images. They are representations of slight differences in the surface of the ocean. They are not images of clouds or anything else in the atmosphere and they are not images of anything below the surface of the water. In effect, they can be considered to be images of ocean winds and currents.

You are right that the region covered is near Florida Keys. But you are incorrect about seeing a methane release. What you are seeing is the Keys themselves and the effects they cause on the surface of the ocean.

Winds and currents often form eddies. Here is an image of an area in the Gulf of Mexico, taken from the space shuttle Atlantis in 1991. There is nothing "on" the water, all we are seeing is patterns in the reflectivity of the surface caused by waves and ripples. The same thing seen in the images from CSTARS but made visible by the angle of the sunlight.

that seems a lot more likely.

thank you.

posted on Jul, 17 2010 @ 05:13 PM
link   
reply to post by justadood

Did you have to repost that image? Even though it makes the point, it gives me a headache!

I really don't like blinky things.

posted on Jul, 17 2010 @ 05:30 PM
link   
Hi all - long time luker, first time chiming in. I live in Cape Coral and spent yesterday at the beach in Englewood. My wife is kayaking North of Englewood today, and she would call if anyone in the club were to experience mysterious symptoms. There is as of now no smell, no clouds other than those from mother nature and Geo engineering - lol.
will keep an eye open and certainly post if I smell a rat, or anything else.

posted on Jul, 17 2010 @ 06:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by sodakota
Blowouts would explain why the Navy high-tailed it out of there.

The Navy has not high-tailed it our of the Gulf.

They are in the process, but it is not past tense.

posted on Jul, 20 2010 @ 02:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phage

Thank you Phage,
I did suggest this in the first page but had no idea how to over lap images to prove it.

Thanks again
Sean

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 01:41 AM
link   
lol... phage is getting a headache peeps, enough of the blinky things!

Hey, thanks to everyone who posted here, this could have been something bad, but it turned out ok!

top topics

<< 1   >>

join