It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Get your own beliefs

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 17 2010 @ 03:29 AM
link   
Do not trust churches.

Do no trust extreme religions.

I am saying to trust yourself.

And we are strong, when we look into ourselves. Do not let families put you down.

Just believe in yourself and you will get there.

posted on Jul, 17 2010 @ 04:00 AM
link   
reply to post by catwhoknows

Everybody has their own beliefs already. They just pick from the vast shelf of beliefs one that fits most their experiences and psychological structure. If I would be an believer of - let's say zoroasterism - I could argue that I believe in it, because it makes sense.

I'd say don't believe at all, but know.

-v

posted on Jul, 17 2010 @ 04:03 AM
link   
reply to post by v01i0

All I am saying is.....

BE FREE!

posted on Jul, 17 2010 @ 04:14 AM
link   

I propably know what you are saying. I just want to clarify.. In the end, everyone was free in the beginning. We are/were free to choose our beliefs, our own conceptions etc.

But this freedom comes to a quick end as soons as you adapt and identify with some dogma, belief or theory. From then on, your thinking is burdened by the requirements and presets of that particular way of thinking. I am talking about psychological freedom.

Yet I have to doubt that there is any freedom at all. 1st of all, we all have certain type of biological structure, which restricts us in various ways. From this structure emerges another kind of boundaries that are difficult if not impossible to break.

I've often thought that the freedom is an illusion. So far, I've only been able to admit freedom of choice, and even that is questionable to some extent.

But yeah, I agree with what you are (most likely) referring to. Don't accept ideological premises, don't accept already refined "truths", such as religion's, science's and other people's, but use your own senses to come up with your personal truth. That's one most empowering experience.

-v

[edit on 17-7-2010 by v01i0]

posted on Jul, 17 2010 @ 04:18 AM
link   
reply to post by v01i0

There is freedom of thought!

We should all believe in the positive - it really helps.

posted on Jul, 17 2010 @ 04:28 AM
link   

Let's examine the 'freedom of thought'?

How can I be sure that my thoughts are free? What if they are after all restricted to the experiences of my life: To my education, uprising, conditioning and so on? Even the pressure of air may have effect in our thinking.

If I take a look of a tree, what comes into my mind about that tree ain't voluntary. All the things I've learned about it, all the physical effects it might have had in my sphere of experiences shapes the thoughts which emerge in my mind.

If thought would be free, we would be able to imagine unimaginable. Just go on and try to imagine something totally new, something that doesn't include anything at all that is previously known to you. Don't you find it impossible. Well, maybe you don't, but I do. Maybe I am tad retarded that I cannot think innovatively.

I mean I can of course think old things in new context. I can imagine a creature that has nose in place of it's arse, but that ain't good enough. My thought is still limited in everything I already know. Only new experiences and observations of existing environment can lead into new conceptions. This is why new ideas might emerge more easily when you change your old environment to a new one.

Just sayin'

-v

posted on Jul, 17 2010 @ 04:42 AM
link   
We are all free thinkers.

Get out from your governments.

We are all free thinkers.

I am a free thinker anyway.

posted on Jul, 17 2010 @ 04:36 PM
link   
Why thank you Cat, ...

BEfore your short and vague "believe in yourself" speech, I didn't have any direction in my life. thank you.

haha, it's cool to want to help people, but you seem a little naive, that seems like something you'd see on a poster in a 5th grade classroom.

The intention is there, which I admire, .... but try to give a little more knowledge instead of generic sayings.

I'm only harsh because I love you.

top topics

join