It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Was scientist who returned to Tehran an Iranian government plant?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 17 2010 @ 02:25 AM
link   

Was scientist who returned to Tehran an Iranian government plant?

rawstory.com

United States officials are explaining Iranian scientist Shahram Amiri's return to Iran as the result of a defector having a change of heart because of his concern about Iranian government threats to his family. Iran and Amiri himself have insisted that it is a simple case of a victim of abduction escaping his captors.

But several features of the story of Amiri's defection suggest that Amiri may have been acting on Iranian government orders to defect temporarily in order to embarrass the US g
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Report: CIA Made AWOL Iranian Scientist a YouTube Star
Iran scholar 'offered $10m by US' (nuclear scientist)

posted on Jul, 17 2010 @ 02:25 AM
link   
This story is getting more interesting as time goes by. At first, I was thinking that he could have gone back as a CIA implant, but now I'm agreeing with the premise of this article. Being an Iranian double agent, actually makes much more sense.

The only question that I have, is why would Iran go through all of that trouble, just to embarrass the US? There has to be more to this.

--airspoon

rawstory.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 17 2010 @ 04:57 AM
link   
Double, Triple, Quadruple agent?

Given ebola genetically manipulated virus?

Fitted with GPS, audio, video device?

Sorry, hate to be him.

posted on Jul, 17 2010 @ 05:21 AM
link   
reply to post by airspoon

The realization of war could have made him go on an guilt trip.

Wasn't he supposed to show "evidence" of Irans nuclear weapon programme(briefcase+laptop) to the MSM? What if the planted information in this briefcase and laptop said Iran had nuculear missiles ready to strike and America had to act quickly in order to avert an all out nuculear war?

A double agent is also a possibility.

posted on Jul, 17 2010 @ 06:29 AM
link   
The American version of the story is so ludicrous and unconvincing, that it makes me wonder about the other stuff they tell us. The thought that this guy "defected" all the way from Saudi Arabia, and then gave them information on "Iran's nuke program" even though he knows nothing about it, is completely bogus. But in the American media the only thing they say is "he walked away from 5 million dollars!" They must be using stage hypnosis to get folks to believe this stuff..
On the other hand, the story from the "researcher" and his government makes a lot more sense, with him being kidnapped from Saudi Arabia, drugged, tortured, and told to make up stuff about Iran for a lot of money.
If this was Iran that had done this, then with or without evidence the UN would have passed more sanctions and the US would be completely blockading and threatening imminent war. Talk about double standards..

posted on Jul, 17 2010 @ 03:17 PM
link   
reply to post by MegaCurious

Actually, defecting to the US from Saudi Arabia is just about what would be expected. All they have to do is go to the American Consulate in Jeddah.

The main reason that I think this scenario is plausible, is because he left his wife and child back in Iran. This is the main thing that made me scratch my head when I first learned about this ordeal. It's not as if he couldn't get his family out of Iran. If he was really a defector, he wouldn't have left his wife and child behind.

--airspoon

posted on Jul, 17 2010 @ 03:47 PM
link   
Neither side is telling the truth here but it's fun to see people choose sides on this. How gullible we must be to them.

posted on Jul, 17 2010 @ 03:54 PM
link   

It’s highly likely the SAVAK (Iranian intelligence) will spend weeks if not month debriefing this guy. I doubt they will torture him because he is now such a high profile figure and it would look very bad on the Iranian administration. Its also highly unlucky that he will ever be given access to any Iranian state secrets. I think the Iranian authorities will try to claim this as a victory, they will hold this guy up as a hero and tell the Iranians how he was kidnapped by the grate satin and survived and that it was the supreme leader who got him back. That’s the type of spin Iran will put on this but its just a spin behind the scenes he will be debriefed and never given any accesses to any secrets again.

The American intelligence community will know this is how its going to be so might not even have attempted to turn him. There is a chance that he was double agent working for the benefit of Iran and was feeding the CIA a pack of lies and that’s why he’s been sent back. But that’s just speculation.

posted on Jul, 17 2010 @ 04:07 PM
link   
reply to post by kevinunknown

He apparently never had access to sensative military secrets anyway. I don't think that he is a CIA, rather I think he was sent here by Iran for the sole purpous of claiming to be kidnapped and also claiming to be pressured to give the US false information about Iran's nuclear program.

The more I research this, the more certain I am becomming. You see, the Iranian people were starting to question whether nuclear technology is worth the effort, especially after this last round of sanctions. Then, this scientist cuts a video that is broadcast on Iranian TV, claiming that he was kidnapped and that the US is trying to use false information for these sanctions and possibly war.

This would just rally the public's support behind the Iranian nuclear program, since the US is going to fudge the info anyway.

The more I look into this, the more brilliant the plan sounds on the part of Iran. They had no way to prove that the US and Israel is fudging information, so what do you do? You plant that proof.

--airspoon

posted on Jul, 17 2010 @ 04:13 PM
link   

That’s a interesting take, don’t know if I agree with because i would have to research it myself but it is entirely plausible. It might have been a plant so that the Iranians could get a take on how US intelligence works to turn agents and what interrogation techniques they are using.

posted on Jul, 17 2010 @ 04:41 PM
link   
When I first heard this story, something did not set right. If he defected, he can not return to Iran, cause to do such would be bad for him and his family. If he has family, then the Iranian government can use them against him, so it may be that he is going to return of his own free will to do their bidding. But the one that seems to make the best sense is that he was a plant for the Iranian government.
I believe this is what happened and the reasons why: He is trained by the Iranian government, giving him a cover, and the actual expertise, then sent out. They drop the word to the CIA, who does indeed pick him up, taking him to America. He naturally cooperates, giving them false information, not all of it, but just enough to ensure he is going to go back to the USA. Now this is where I believe things get interesting.
He gets here, finishes giving them all of the false information, and they set him up, even allowing him to study at a university. My question would be what was he studying while being watched and more importantely what was he studying when they were not watching him. You see when you are looking at trying to build a nuclear weapon or any sort of science that deals with nuclear material, the refinement process is part of it, but at the same time there are different enegineering components that would need to be known, and most can be found where: In any library, it may be crude by todays standards, but the information is there if you know where to look. He takes the time, doing the ground work, carefully memorizing the nature of the engineering aspects, and once he can do such without needing referneces, turns around and is ready to return to Iran. Gives the people who are watching him the slip, uses a cover story to ensure that any ally of Iran is going to help him out, make his way to a consulate and off back home. Once there, he is debriefed, to include any and all information he aquired while here and there you go, along with hard currency that he was suppose to be given. That is what I would say happened.

new topics

top topics

join