It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists baffled by unusual upper atmosphere shrinkage

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 17 2010 @ 02:24 AM
link   

Scientists baffled by unusual upper atmosphere shrinkage

edition.cnn.com

An upper layer of Earth's atmosphere recently shrank so much that researchers are at a loss to adequately explain it, NASA said on Thursday.

The thermosphere, which blocks harmful ultraviolet rays, expands and contracts regularly due to the sun's activities. As carbon dioxide increases, it has a cooling effect at such high altitudes, which also contributes to the contraction.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 17 2010 @ 02:24 AM
link   
That is very important. The same scientists have predicted a massive solar max for 2012- 2013 and now this.
The very layer that is protecting us is shrinking. As pointed out, it is the biggest contraction in 43 years!
The devastation that could happen in a couple of years is only left to imagination.
I strongly believe it is time to make preparations and vital reserves.

On a personal note, I am a psychic and the chaos I've 'seen' matches perfectly a devastating solar event. Now the scientists are giving us the warnings.

Please, prepare yourself, it is going to be bad.

edition.cnn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 17 2010 @ 02:29 AM
link   
I can sense when this world is in its more remarkable times. I always feel it coming. I have fealt the metal since I was a child. I know there is something happening and I know we are being kept from this information, but if this is true it is to prevent mass hysteria. I can say I've been affected by the weather and world events, its sad though that as the world continues on in its cycles people just stay preoccupied with theyre sex, bling and technology.

posted on Jul, 17 2010 @ 02:35 AM
link   
Perhaps I missed it but from what I read I am lead to believe that the only reason "This is the biggest contraction of the thermosphere in at least 43 years." is because thats how long "they" have been observing this type of thing ?

If that's the case 43 years is clearly not a long enough time to really tell just what this could mean .

Having said that , I am sure it's not the best things that could be happening

[edit on 17-7-2010 by Max_TO]

posted on Jul, 17 2010 @ 03:10 AM
link   
Reading the article, it strikes me as being another OMG Co² is evil story

Emmert suggests that the increasing amounts of carbon dioxide making its way into the upper atmosphere might have played a role in the anomaly. Carbon dioxide acts as a coolant in the upper atmosphere, unlike in the lower atmosphere, shedding heat via infrared radiation. As carbon dioxide levels build up on Earth, it makes its way into the upper levels and magnifies the cooling action of the solar minimum, Emmert said.

posted on Jul, 17 2010 @ 05:00 AM
link   
To The Oracle

Found your article and information very interesting. One thing which really strikes me is the EFFECT this MIGHT have on all our satellites, space junk, ISS etc..

If I'm not mistaken, I have read other threads on ATS which make reference to 'Objects falling from the Sky', bible predictions, Prophecies and other forecasts of doom..... This 'THINNING' of the layer and subsequent altering of satellite trajectories or increased DRAG on objects in low earth orbit might well cause one of these events to happen....

Maybe the ISS will fall out of the sky or we get a Downed Satellite - this story about the Highly Unusual thinning of that Atmospheric layer might well prove to be the Catalyst......

Regards

PurpleDOG UK

posted on Jul, 17 2010 @ 06:21 AM
link   
Fresh doom!

Dooooooooooooooooooooom!

You don't want to live forever do ya?

posted on Jul, 17 2010 @ 06:28 AM
link   
So, Carbon has a cooling effect? Greenhouse effect? Warming effect?
Well which is it?

First it contributes to Global Warming; the hand is wagered.
Then it is Climate Change; two calls the hand.
Now, a cooling effect; three ponders, thinking; "is this a bluff? What could players one and two have holding?"

Reflecting on the two pair, Aces and Eights, respectively, player three plays the odds and not only calls, but raises the stakes knowing well that global warming is not in play (Proven) - and that at worst, climate change being the highest possible hand, (in and only in your dreams), but only if the joker is wild.

Knowing that the joker counts in only Aces, Straights and Flushes, and does not count as Climate Change, Global Warming nor Global Cooling as dreams are alter-realities at most, unreal at least;
Player three finally, with the conviction of the rain man's roulette wheel calculation, calls and moves to raise the limit.

Player four folds and leaves the table and is immediately intercepted by security, bound and led to an undisclosed area and into a rendition room for detainment.

Seeing the commotion and subsequent arrest of player four, player five, now with brow sweating profusely, stays seated as not wanting to follow suit, eventually calls player three's raise and nervously awaits player ones move.

Player one calls Player three's raise as Player two's hand, already airborn, drops from above as if in formation exacting Player one's lead and call, but impacting the playing field with cards folding rather than the metalic clinking of coins striking coins of the pot.

Anxious now, Players five and one note three's demeaner as three lays the hand to beat.

As the two pair report, Player Five throws down a lesser hand, gestures a sign of displeasure towards Player three and leaves the table. In a 180 degree turn, security pays little attention to five as five wanders out the entrance, steps in front of an oncoming vehicle, which strikes and kills him instantly.

Meanwhile, Player one, still holding private his hand, pierces three's psyche' armor, eyes beaded; focused as if tandem lazers busily gutting three's innards, intent on removing the heart.

The delay in laying down the only hand remaining, unseen, is so eternally retarded that global warming and cooling, as well as climate change all charted and through weathers' natural cycle, continue completely until once again arriving full circle at the beginning.
Rinse and repeat...

Player three? With dead man's hand, forever awaits Player one who is required to show the remaining hand, lest concede the pot and end the cyclic universe.

Player five? Shorted the game by securing a pre-game side bet, It pays off with the intensity of an insider trade and five makes off with a kings ransom, while Players one and three are still in game, forever as frozen statues; illusions of the matrix.

So who wins?
Yup, you guessed it. Player five wins.
Players one and three are living testimony trapped in a cyclical, circular, Alpha-Omega-like repetitive loop. A no-reveal of knowledge; truth.
A complete and utter fail as the game never ends.

Anyone? Am I speaking to deaf ears? showing to blind eyes?
Listening to those with mute tongues?

Fortunes don't disappear, they merely transfer.

Shrinking Atmosphere? or transferred?

posted on Jul, 17 2010 @ 01:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheOracle
That is very important. The same scientists have predicted a massive solar max for 2012- 2013 and now this.
The very layer that is protecting us is shrinking. As pointed out, it is the biggest contraction in 43 years!
The devastation that could happen in a couple of years is only left to imagination.
I strongly believe it is time to make preparations and vital reserves.

I think you may have misinterpreted the article.

When solar activity is high, solar extreme ultraviolet rays warm and expand the thermosphere. When it's low, the opposite occurs.

So a predicted 2012- 2013 solar maximum would increase the thermosphere from it's presently lower than normal level. The predicted solar max is a good thing in this case then.

posted on Jul, 17 2010 @ 01:52 PM
link   
There are messages every where you just have to unplug yourself from the matrix. You can start by watching the movie called ( KNOWING ) it tells you about the gulf disaster, it tells you about the sun, the atmosphere and more. Read between the lines, in every movie there is a hidden message its up to you to decode it.

posted on Jul, 17 2010 @ 05:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Iamonlyhuman

What if a lot the sun's damage is done before the thermosphere expands to safe levels? Radiation is quite lethal without protection

posted on Jul, 17 2010 @ 05:32 PM
link   
reply to post by TheOracle

The thermosphere does little to protect us from solar radiation, it is too diffuse. It is what we think of as the actual "atmosphere" (the mesosphere and below) that does the job.

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 02:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

So does this have any dire consequences phage , is the planet's death around the corner?

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 03:13 PM
link   
reply to post by De La Valletta

is the planet's death around the corner?

What the article says is that this will have little or no affect on us, it will have little affect on the weather, satellites will stay up longer, not come tumbling out of the sky and this affect (the thinning of the thermosphere) is already reversing itself:

though unlikely to affect the weather, can affect the movement of satellites, researchers said.

The only down side was increased space junk from less drag and possible affecting satellite orbits and the GPS system affected. But it seems like that could be easily compensated for in receivers.

Do chime in Phage.

The researchers say they will continue to monitor the upper atmosphere, which is already rebounding.

Despite the puzzling anomaly, the collapse of the thermosphere is unlikely to have a direct effect on our daily lives, said Solomon.

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 03:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

hi Phage

what is your thought on electromagnetic feilds that are simpathetic
ie the bigger the solar maximum the larger the magnetic feild generated around the sun and the larger the simpathetic earth magnetic feild becomes to compensate like a cause and effect type interaction?

XPLodER

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 10:35 PM
link   
There is an already existing thread on this topic here.

Please contribute any further questions and/or comments to the above linked thread.

Thank you.

Thread Closed.

top topics

join