It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Economic Doom of the Middle-Class

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 11:25 PM
link   
The great scandal is portrayed in this op-ed below. . . . That is the fact that there are no more middle class jobs available in America!

One of the reasons for the fake recession of 2008 was to mask this truth.
Very simply . . . the capitalists have sold us out and the renegade politicians have been bribed to help them.

They first ruined the manufacturing jobs in the USA starting with the Reagan administration. Then they went after and destroyed the IT industry with the first Bush, Bill Clinton, then the second Bush in the 90’s. and 2000’s.

The IT industry was a last gasp hope, and for awhile allowed the middle class with great hope. That is until the huge computer giants followed the manufacturing capitalists and began to ship all good IT jobs overseas and ruined another generation of middle class jobs for Americans.

The next and final nail in the economic coffin is happening right now:

The huge middle class civil service industry is being destroyed before our eyes RIGHT NOW!

Massive layoffs across the country in municipal jobs, such as policemen, firemen, teachers is going on right before our eyes

Whether this is a NWO plot or not is another question. But we are entertaining what the conspiracy theorist have been saying . . . that is the death of the middle class in America

www.counterpunch.org...

CounterPunch Diary
The Fall of Obama
By ALEXANDER COCKBURN

The man who seized the White House by fomenting a mood of irrational expectation is now facing the bitter price exacted by reality. The reality is that there can be no “good” American president. It’s an impossible hand to play. Obama is close to being finished.

The nation’s first black president promised change at the precise moment when no single man, even if endowed with the communicative powers of Franklin Roosevelt, the politic mastery of Lyndon Johnson, the brazen agility of Bill Clinton, could turn the tide that has been carrying America to disaster for 30 years.

This summer many Americans are frightened. Over 100,000 of them file for bankruptcy every month. Three million homeowners face foreclosure this year. Add them to the 2.8 million who were foreclosed in 2009, Obama’s first year in office. Nearly seven million have been without jobs in the last year for six months or longer. By the time you tot up the people who have given up looking for work and the people on part-time, the total is heading toward 20 million.

Fearful people are irrational. So are racists. Obama is the target of insane charges. A hefty percentage of Americans believe ... (continued at source)

[edit on 16-7-2010 by inforeal]

Mod Edit: Quote tags used, source link provided, quote trimmed. Jak

[edit on 17/7/10 by JAK]

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 11:43 PM
link   
reply to post by inforeal

Economic doom? Wow, seems like we are on a runaway train. Simple death is a real possibility.

I guess we could be reincarnated on another planet when this one goes poof, like the Martians. But where?

Seems like that would suck. I think I have a reincarnated cat of a former cat. Seems strange.

(too many "seems" in reply)

[edit on 16-7-2010 by chorizo4]

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 11:57 PM
link   
Typical of left wing "true believers" Cockburn declares Obama a man who reveres capitalism, but it is not capitalism Obama reveres, and it is not capitalism Cockburn is pointing to. It has been a continued strategy of the left to declare the regulated market place and corporatism, capitalism. Corporatism is not capitalism, and a regulated market place is not the market place of capitalism. There are three basic tenets to capitalism. Those tenets are:

1.) A free and unregulated marketplace.

2.) Massive competition.

3.) A currency backed by wealth where all can agree upon its value.

Not a single tenet is in place in today's current market place, but the left continues to bellow that it is capitalism. Worse than that, the left continues to declare capitalism the betrayer of the worker, when Marx long ago declared this, and yet the left wingers so enamored with Marxism will disingenuously scream; "Capitalism has betrayed us, and now we have no jobs!" Capitalism was never about job creation, and was always about wealth creation. That is why it is called capitalism. It is based upon capital. Job creation is merely a by product of capitalism and is not the end goal of capitalism. Workers can not be betrayed by capitalism because workers are not capitalists.

The middle class is not necessarily defined by employees, and there are many small business owners who make up a part of that middle class. It has become increasingly harder for the small business to survive in the current market paradigm of regulation where licensing schemes are foisted upon these small businesses, tax collectors demanding registration before a dime is made, regulatory agencies from OSHA to CPSC, EEOC, SBA, and depending upon the business, one could find themselves having to deal with the USDA, DOC, DOE, HHS, EPA, and a bevy of other alphabet agencies, all claiming jurisdiction and imposing rules and regulations on the small business. That is not capitalism by any stretch of the imagination.

People love to argue for all kinds of reasons as to why we need regulations, and this if fine, but once those regulations are imposed, it is just disingenuousness to declare the outcome of these regulations to be capitalism. It is tantamount to castrating a bull and then screaming betrayal by that bull because it will not breed.

posted on Jul, 17 2010 @ 12:07 AM
link   
The author Alexander Cockburn should know that the Archbishop of Cantebury IS a druid,he was inducted into the Welsh Gorsedd of Bards in 2002 and his druidic name is ap Aneuri.

posted on Jul, 17 2010 @ 12:17 AM
link   

In the early 70s I remember listening to a Machinist while we were working in the post office. He was on strike I think from some big plant and was saying he might as well work in the PO. The pay was almost the same and the work required no thinking unlike his machinist trade.

In the late 70s I remember hearing the president of a pressure and temperature gauge company I was working at in the engineering dept. saying he would rather close down his business than give in to the strikers.

The american worker is viewed by the american capitalist as nothing more than HIS wage slave. This is the Elitist NWO view. It is as simple as that.

Slaves have no rights. Everything they get is given to them by the capitalist. Health care is not a right but a job benefit. Job security,a place to live ,food, none of that is a right only a benefit given to them by the capitalist.

The slave lives in a state of fear.

[edit on 17-7-2010 by RRokkyy]

posted on Jul, 17 2010 @ 12:59 AM
link   
All that is happening now is just the result of market forces.

Back then, Capitalism was a good thing because it favored the middle class of America:

1) salaries were high because: women and minorities were paid low. So now that everyone is getting more or less the same rate, suddenly, the white male feels his power stripped when in fact, he got that fat check at the expense of others. so the "good old days" were an illusion; people got their breaks on the backs of minorities or women or the poor rates we pay the 3rd world for their resources.

2) middle class families back then were true fiscal conservatives. (you saved money because you made the right choices-- kids did not cost an arm and a leg because all they did was run around and play outdoors all day--all for free)

3) people ate healthier back then --no processed foods. more health meant people were buying drugs less.

4) people were happy with one car. Now, you have to have 2 or more cars.

So everything is based on people's greed.

posted on Jul, 17 2010 @ 01:19 AM
link   
22 Statistics That Prove The Middle Class Is Being Systematically Wiped Out Of Existence In America

www.businessinsider.com

Mod Note: One Line and Short Posts – Please Review This Link.

also, fixed link

[edit on Sun Jul 18 2010 by DontTreadOnMe]

posted on Jul, 17 2010 @ 06:30 AM
link   
reply to post by Jean Paul Zodeaux

I wonder what post your reading. It refers to the capitalism existing now in America, not your abstract theorizing fantasy capitalism that exists nowhere.

Your “small business” will never make up for the millions of jobs that are gone through the manufacturing, IT, and now civil service. Your small good business jobs will now become as extinct, not because of regulations, but because of the competition for the services of those who work in small business will no longer be there.

posted on Jul, 17 2010 @ 06:36 AM
link   
reply to post by SaHasani1990

I am not talking about white men, I am talking about the fact that there will be few jobs left for people in college and High School now.

Most manufacturing in the US is gone that use to provide good middle class jobs

Most if not all good IT jobs are now shipped overseas

Now, if you read the news, you will see an assault on civil service, your policmen, firemen, teachers are all loosing jobs in the millions accross the country. Those in California, for example are being forced to work minimun wage for a month.

In my city they are laying offover 200 cops

They have already layed off hundreds of teachers

These are the facts!

[edit on 17-7-2010 by inforeal]

posted on Jul, 17 2010 @ 08:16 AM
link   

I wonder what post your reading. It refers to the capitalism existing now in America, not your abstract theorizing fantasy capitalism that exists nowhere.

Capitalism doesn't exist now, and no amount of obfuscation will make the heavily regulated marketplace that favors corporatism or oligopolism over massive competition, with a currency based on fiat money capitalism, ever appear to be anything like capitalism.

Your “small business” will never make up for the millions of jobs that are gone through the manufacturing, IT, and now civil service. Your small good business jobs will now become as extinct, not because of regulations, but because of the competition for the services of those who work in small business will no longer be there.

Jobs, jobs, jobs...this is the endless mantra for the Marxist idealist. If you don't want to go into business for yourself you don't have to, but let's be clear here, capitalism is not about job creation, it is about capital growth. If you as an employee can not assure the owner of that company capital growth, then your value decreases dramatically. That is slavery. Why would you want to be a slave?

You can take a regulated market and fiat currency and call it capitalism all you want, it still will not smell like capitalism any more than gold painted turds will smell like gold. Doo doo is stinky no matter how you dress it up.

[edit on 17-7-2010 by Jean Paul Zodeaux]

posted on Jul, 17 2010 @ 08:20 AM
link   
Goodbye America, Hello China

posted on Jul, 17 2010 @ 09:18 AM
link   
It does seem true that they are destroying the working middle class. Starting with NAFTA and allowing the outsourcing of their jobs overseas. Not protecting them from the (illegal) immigrant workforce. Creating a non-monetary workforce by pushing for volunteerism across the country. The jobs created are usually temporary or non long term jobs. Corporate America makes it harder to retain these jobs with their internal policies like stringent attendance guidelines, unreasonable work schedules like continuos rotating 10 hr all shifts, randum drug testings throughout the year. Policies that are designed to cause employment turnover. Systematically lowering the standard of living and wages of the middle class. The working middle class seems to be getting priced right out of America. All to benefit Wall Street and the Corporate elite.

[edit on 17-7-2010 by TamtammyMacx]

posted on Jul, 17 2010 @ 09:44 AM
link   

well, look at the bright side....
the more gov't employees that lose their jobs, the less people there are to enforce those regulations and laws I guess.....

and well, if they did it right, there could be less taxes for people to pay, if they have any money to pay for anything!!!

I agree with the person who said that those jobs that enabled families to live on one paycheck were only around as long as there were women and minorities..and before that, all out slaves....that they weasled out of paying a living wage to. heck, if they made all jobs gov't jobs, and expanded the welfare system so that you work, you get what you need to live...hey, I would be making out better! as would many women. which well...is why we got this massive welfare system to begin with...and the high taxes that come with it!!!
but it saves you from having to pay that extra buck for that bic mac out of your nice high salary, so I guess all is well!!!

posted on Jul, 17 2010 @ 10:30 AM
link   
I was born firmly into low-middleclass hard working people and created my own "wealth" on hard work and persistance...still "upper middle class" at best until they find a way to get the rest of it,LOL!

One of the things I have observed is that the generations have become MUCH more consumer-orented and competitive: we as kids understood that there was a limited amount of cash to go around but no more...at 16 they all have cars,tech-toys,the best clothing,Summers and Spring-Breaks "away" and the level of middle class as I have known it to exist has been replaced by some sort of pseudo-weathy class mentality that literally few can keep up with anymore in the reality of today's job-market and ability to accumulate wealth of any kind.

I think for a period of time,the "classes" started to bleed together at least in terms of what parents of kids try to do: if you want the "nice friends" and to be invited to "nice parties/go to their lake house with the Summer people" who cannot afford to BE "upper middle class" go to great lengths trying to achive this new status for their kids and believe it reflects THEIR status as well...I see it all the time!

Younger women are VERY calculating and their "worth" is also often inflated int heir minds (not female bashing,just stating a fact): I can't believe what some will do in order to score that guy with some cash...again,I see it all the time.Marrying-up is an art-form for many,no love need be involved...it's all about the stuff and the status.Messed up IMO but it relates back to that constant craving for what the TV claims we "need..."

I guess what I'm saying is that not only has the "middle class" been subjected to a leveling-out that is unheard of by prior generations in terms of opportunities and jobs,the NEW (and NOT improved IMO) definition of what "middle class" even IS is seriously mucked up...

The more you know,the less you really "need"...

[edit on 17-7-2010 by irishchic]

new topics

top topics

join