It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Twilight has Spoiled Both our Kids' Brains and the Name of Cryptozoology

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 13 2010 @ 08:03 PM
link   
reply to post by nicolee123nd

Oh get over it, it's just a book.. (er, um and movie)...

I mean you aren't going to say Harry Potter ruined Wizardry or Percy Jackson and the Lightning Thief ruined Greek Mythology now are ya?

posted on Aug, 13 2010 @ 09:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Alexander the Great
Do you not remember the Pokemon epidemic?
Now that was an infestation like no other.
I will never forget, walking down the halls in middle school, hearing kids doing the Pokemon noises

Um... hate to be the one to break it to you, but...

Hundreds of Pokémon players vie to be world's best

[edit on 13/8/10 by Navieko]

posted on Aug, 16 2010 @ 03:17 PM
link   
my main problem is Twilight put the final death knell on vampire literature that started in the 90's with the goth/ann rice phase.
twilight basically took the last vestige of what made vampires mosnters and shat on it.
they walk in the day, they're incredibly attractive, they don't really seem to *have* to drink blood, they're immortal, they have super strength and speed
there's basically no setbacks to being one!

it used to be, being a vampire made you a monster, the good guy vamps would always be pissed they couldn't go out in the day, had to avoid garlic, and had to essentially murder to live, the bad guys you knew were bad because they relished it., yes, you had physically attractive vampires, but once the fangs came out, they had a tendency to look real ugly (buffy's vampires always seemed to get puffy foreheads, and at least the white wolf vampires had the nosferatu clan, wich actually was closer to count orlock than they wre lestat at least) Twilight, they can sit back eat a garlic pizza in broad daylight and the only possibly ethical problem is their tendency to stalk teenage mormon girls and watch them sleep, I'm not sure, but I don't even think they have fangs.
there is no longer anything monstrous about being a vampire, you're essentially a superhero now, thanks to a book series that reads like a 14 year old girl's bad fanfic.

Vampires and cryptozoology, in the past I actually didn't mind vampires being discussed in crypto forums, they usually got more into how a vampire could technically exist. now though, it's how a vampire could actually sparkle in the sun and keep their perfect hair forever.

posted on Aug, 28 2010 @ 05:34 AM
link   
to any one who is fed up with the vampire's from twi#e please read the necroscope series, vampires that see humans as cattle and things for their amusment

posted on Aug, 28 2010 @ 06:49 AM
link   
reply to post by nicolee123nd

Start researching into David Icke's books and then Laura Knight jadczyk "Secret History of the World and How to Get Out Alive" (page 159).

There are vampires.

They have been with man since we were dumped out of the gene splicer.

It's a universal, instinctive genetic memory/knowledge we all inwardly know.

Twilight is just a watered down, barb & ken doll version of it.

And "they" were never human.

posted on Aug, 28 2010 @ 06:51 AM
link   
I for one loved the twilight books, I've read through all of them in a period of 4 weeks, including the follow up on Bree Tanner.
I'm 34, my daughter is 12 and will start reading them this year as well.
Ever since I was 15 I've been collecting every book and movie that deals with vamps (yes, even the Buffy and Angel collection, lol). The twilight series is a good, romantic read for women and girls... I can imagine why most men won't like it.... you guys have Spiderman and Star Trek (although I like the last as well)

I admit that when I was in my teens there was a bit of whisfull thinking involved, I 'wanted' to be a vampire because it was sexy and depressing all in one. Instead I became a goth for a while...

It's 'interesting' to see that these days, kids love vamps in the open, while in my days we had to seek out the underground vampire parties because it wasn't tollerated to dress up in public like that.
Looking back it all seems so stupid and naive, but I loved those days and I had a great time dressing up and pretending to live in a different world, like an escape from reality.
I guess that's what the vamps myth still does for people... it creates a fantasy world... and the only reason that sells is because people have a need for it.

Does it spoil the myth? Not for me it doesn't...

posted on Aug, 28 2010 @ 10:19 AM
link   
All right. What to say about Twilight? I did like the books (I was stuck in the house healing for a while and my sister had them all). The movies, well they are there. I am partial to them but they don't always satiate my cravings so-to-speak.
As far as the fad is going, sure its a little lame but there will always be a fad. It could be much worse, indeed. If you are having issues with Twilight, might I reccommend True Blood? That would be something worth watching but then one might have issues with all of the sex and nudity?

I am just trying to point out that no matter what material you pick that is popular in our current society; someone is going to have a problem with it. Just because it annoys them or because they like to complain. I recently went to see Vampire's Suck which is a spoof off of Twilight, but since I like spoofs; I did enjoy it.

So all you can do is take a deep breathe and hold on for a couple more years, maybe add a bit of alcohol to cool your temperment? Best of luck to all of those who is slowly dying inside because of this *shrugs* Nothing much you can do except take this out on your own children or rant about it I suppose.

*edit to say this: I also really hate reality t.v.* heheh

Cheers!

[edit on 28-8-2010 by Choiseul]

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join