It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Former State Department official sentenced to life for spying for Cuba

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 10:46 PM
link   

Former State Department official sentenced to life for spying for Cuba

www.cnn.com

ashington (CNN) -- A former State Department analyst was sentenced to life in prison Friday for spying for Cuba for almost 30 years.

His wife and partner in spying received a sentence of six years and nine months, but will get credit for more than a year already served.

Kendall Myers, 73, pleaded guilty last November to conspiracy to commit espionage and wire fraud. His wife, Gwendolyn Steingraber Myers, 72, admitted to one count of conspiracy to gather and transmit national defense information.

Kendall Myers' life sentence does not include the possibility of parole.

In a prepared
(visit the link for the full news article)

Mod Edit: Breaking News Forum Submission Guidelines – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 16/7/2010 by Mirthful Me]

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 10:46 PM
link   
when is the last time we caught people for treason let alone cubans? opinions? does any one think this has to do with castro's speach the timeing seems a bit odd that is all

and this guy has to be pretty crafty to have memorized or taken notes on most of the intel he gave them it says that he only gave them a few actual documents but most was from memory....

www.cnn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

Mod Edit: Breaking News Forum Submission Guidelines – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 16/7/2010 by Mirthful Me]

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 10:53 PM
link   
What they did was wrong, ...

But I can't help but feel sorry for the old folks, he will, and she will most likely die in prison now.

Why would they throw away their lives for this. To help cuba of all places, Cuba is as dangerous as a Kitten wearing a bandana with penchant for shenanigans.

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 10:58 PM
link   

In June 2009, right after the arrests, Fidel Castro questioned the timing - just 24 hours after the Organization of American States voted to lift a decades-old suspension of Cuba's membership in that group.

"Doesn't the story of Cuban spying seem really ridiculous to everyone?" Castro asked, without commenting on its validity.

There was no immediate reaction from Havana on Friday to news of the sentences.

www.clarionledger.com...

They were arrested in June 2009.

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 11:15 PM
link   
ah i guess i skimmed over the part when they were arrested but it the timeing of it even then was kinda shady and they have to pay back 1.7 million how the heck is he gonna pull that off from jail

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 11:27 PM
link   
reply to post by KilrathiLG

How about this part. Real cloak and dagger. Wonder why these two were not caught in 1995. Im sure the Cuban intelligence medals would of been a red flag that they might be spies.

Justice Department prosecutor Michael Harvey said the couple received medals from Cuban intelligence and were flown to the island nation for a visit with Fidel Castro in 1995. They pleaded guilty last November.

new topics

top topics

join