It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Audio and Video advertisements on ATS

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 10:34 PM
link   
I normally don't complain much about the operations of this site. I have to argue here however.
After taking an above average amount of time to load a thread page, my ears were rudely shaken. Took a min to figure out where the sound was coming from, ended up a audio/video advertisements were the culprit.
I for one do not have access to many highspeed options due to my location and video downloads really interupt my fun.
The audio ads are offensive no matter the reason, especially when you keep you pc volume rather high. I would like for ATS to cease this form of advertising.

posted on Jul, 17 2010 @ 01:52 AM
link   
I agree. Advertising is one of the culprits for me canceling my cable tv. I can only hope ATS doesnt continue this path.

Other then that, love the site.

posted on Jul, 17 2010 @ 04:48 AM
link   
The advertising as a business model has brought up many issues with ATS. The ones that get me usually sit at the top of the site and if your cursor happens to scroll across, then they suddenly open up to run some commercial or movie trailer. Really annoying!

However, I wonder if a paid subscription might be a better way to go. It might be worth polling the member base to get an opinion. For one, you would drastically cut down on the numbers of trolls or people out to make forum mischief. The site has what, nearly 200,000 members. It would be interesting to know how many are active in any one month and throw some numbers around.

I would pay to access quality discussion groups, just as I would pay to access quality news or intelligence reports. Food for ATS thought?

To add, that pop-up on the home page regarding video has to go. I think the media is advertised enough.

Edit for typo

[edit on 17-7-2010 by LarryLove]

[edit on 17-7-2010 by LarryLove]

posted on Jul, 17 2010 @ 04:59 AM
link   
Hi Marr,

Totally agree - I keep being hit by the audio for the empire game - whilst this is in the box over the main board it repeats over and over again. And it has been audio compressed it is loud!

The only way I can get rid of it is to click on three or four posts until the advert at the top changes.

Peace!

posted on Jul, 17 2010 @ 05:23 AM
link   
I concur.

Those ads get damned annoying.

This site deserves better.

posted on Jul, 17 2010 @ 08:24 AM
link   
Usually I turn the speakers off, so I don't here it. Yesterday I forgot to turn them off and just a minute ago me and my wife fell from our chairs, when ATS greeted us with loud fanfares.

It also slows down my pc, making the harddrive buzz like a lawn mower and the browser stops scrolling down.

Many sites overload their own contents with annoying commercials of third parties. Sometimes it gets so bad, that it is impossible to read, so I simply click it away.

It was not so bad here at ATS in the past. Commercials are okay, but they should not be too obstrusive. The contents of the original site should always stay in the foreground.

new topics

top topics

join