It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I am embarrest to own an I-phone

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 06:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Scarcer
Tired of ... using 3rd party programs to sync mp3s I buy off of amazon because itunes won't.
Sounds like a problem with your iTunes install, because MP3s from Amazon sync just fine.

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 06:16 PM
link   
I'd be embarrassed to be one that jumps on the "latest technology" bandwagon too. Personally, I stay at least a year behind, so the bugs are worked out, before I spend my hard earned money. BUT, that's just me....you know...using intellect, logic and experience; rather than basing my decision on "keeping up with the Jones's".

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 06:18 PM
link   
At least you admit how embarrased you are, Apple and there I Fail range suck, always have, always will. Its just unfortunate there marketing department is so adept at brainwashing.

Apple could probably make billions convincing people to buy there fantastic new I #, just as long as it had a trendy and ultra hip ad campaign to go with it.

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 06:22 PM
link   
Its a phone

End of really for me - Im an old guy who actually remembers and used the Motorolas that had the big battery pack.

Then I got an NEC that had a holster like a gun slinger

Im on I think my 20th mobile now - and I wont buy an I-phone simply because the life expectancy of a phone round me is way to short to pay what they want for a pay-g contract.

I use a blackberry for work - cos they give me one and a simple Sony for a personal phone.

The whole Apple thing cracks me up - the belief in a computer company holding the world to ransom is quite frankly sickening. Jobs and Apple lost the plot in the 90s and rescued themselves with the i-pod - but as for a positive attitude to their consumers in all dealings with the company I have never seen any.

To clarify - if you own a car and it goes wrong would you be happy for them to take it back off you and give you a second hand car in return? Apple seems to think this works for I-pod owners and I-Phone users. Funny any time I had a phone from Nokia or Sony goes wrong I get a brand new product in an unsealed box. This according to my I-phone owning friends doesn't happen to them.

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 06:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Johnze

Hate Apple all you want for their percieved "coolness", but that still doesn't say anything for the fact that Apple is the pionere for certain break-through technologies. You can't deny that Apple is a pionere in the user-interface dept.

Sure, they may be some people who purchase Apple products for the trend, but I'm sure more people buy their products because of the product. Before the iPhone, there wasn't any other phone with the same type of break-through UI. Same with the iPod (for other reasons).

Just because Apple has a great marketing strategy, doesn't mean that the company is any less capable. I think many people hate on Apple, just because they seem to be so popular. Ever stop to think that they could be popular because of their products and break-through technologies, such as their fantastic user-interface?

--airspoon

Edited to add:

reply to post by Silk

Actually, Apple rescued itself with the iMac. There big mistake was letting go of Jobs and taking a strategy that was successful for Microsoft. When they brought Jobs back on board out of desperation, when Apple stock was selling for pennies, they completely reworked the company to actually provide quality in their products.

It wasn't that they succeeded only because of the iPod, rather they completely changed products. The Apple of today isn't anything like the Apple of the 80s and early 90s.

I think their biggest break-through was going to IBM for their processors and using the tried and proven Unix platform for the OS.

--airspoon

[edit on 16-7-2010 by airspoon]

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 06:49 PM
link   
I have a cell phone. I use it to make and receive phone calls and the occasional txt msg to and from my son. I have a computer for everything else. I'm not a gimmicky person.

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 07:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by airspoon

Hate Apple all you want for their percieved "coolness", but that still doesn't say anything for the fact that Apple is the pionere for certain break-through technologies. You can't deny that Apple is a pionere in the user-interface dept.

I would have to disagree on Apple being the pioneer of anything.

I had a Rio mp3 player before Apple were making i-Pods.

Also there are mp3 players out today that are better than i-Pod, (X-Fi 2, Zunes, Sonys ect.)

People are starting to want removable memory instead of built in memory now that 32 GB micro SDHC Memory Cards are out.

All they had was good marketing and advertising to over hype themselves into being the standard.
(The old "reserve and line up for your phone now because we don't produce enough for launch day" trick is one of the oldest tricks in the book, flu vaccine anyone?)

Apples naming of their 3rd gen phone "3G" was also smart tricking people into think 3G has something to do with 3G / 1Xev network.
Name your phone after the network generation.

Similar to Rogers Wireless and Bell mobility in Canada, Bell has the bigger better 3G network in Canada, yet Rogers was able to do better sales because they advertised their 3G ads 5 times more than Bell to the point everyone automatically assumes Rogers has the best network.

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 07:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wise Man
Also there are mp3 players out today that are better than i-Pod, (X-Fi 2, Zunes, Sonys ect.)

Especially if they run Rockbox. It even has been ported to some iPods, which make iPods worth having. At least then they're no longer crippled by bad firmware.

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 07:46 PM
link   
the phone cant even work as a talking machine ... there is no way that I am going to buy one

and for people saying it was a software problem, this doesnt exist, its a hardware problem

just explain this: if you put your finger in a different position of the back of the phone, why would it be a software problem if that finger doesnt interact with any input device?

but they probably upgraded the software in some way, or to "mask" the problem, or they did something to keep the phone from losing its signal even when its very low in some way that we cant know right now ...

I wouldnt buy one ... wait for the next model or just be fair and buy from another brand

they should have done a recall ... whats happening is just wrong

they just announced they will offer a free case for every buyer, since the software fix isnt going to solve anything ....

[edit on 16/7/10 by Faiol]

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 07:50 PM
link   
A few other drawbacks to the I(diot) phone.
1. Locked to a contract with one network. For people who travel alot its much easier and cheaper to get prepaid simpacks and change simcards instead of paying roaming charges. 2. Have to send I(diot) phone back to apple just to change batt. if need to change batts.
3. Limited to apps/content from apple store.
4. Slower web browser in comparison to Both HTC and SE .
5. Poor camera quality .
6. Lousy mp3 sound quality.

So no thanks. Besides compared to what phones and networks are capable of here in asia the I(diot) phone is a leap backwards in technology... Maybe in a few years apple can steal enough tech to maybe make a low level phone to standards here in asia..

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 07:56 PM
link   
events.apple.com.edgesuite.net...

press conference ... hahahhaa

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 10:50 PM
link   
I had a first generation Iphone and it was ok for it's time. Basically I got it because I had a 2 hour break between classes and it was alot lighter than a laptop. Anyway it lasted a bit over two years and I couldn't listen to music and get on the internet at the same time because my phone would freeze if I tried to. My main problem with apple is that you can't expand the memory in your phone and the battery is inside so if it dies your kinda screwed.

I know there are kits you can get to replace your own battery but I think it voids the warranty. I recently upgraded to a HTC Hero and I like it a bit more I can do more things with it like make my own ringtones right from my phone. I can use my mobile internet to download stuff from their marketplace, and I can run more than one program at a time. The music player is pretty basic but it runs ok.

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 11:00 PM
link   
Worked in the mobile phone industry the last 5 years. On the side I repair and modify Blackberry's, Nokia and Sony Ericsson.

The I-Phone has MANY drawbacks and the call quality issue is NOT ATT Network.

They are actually the fastest on the internet in the industry.

I use a Blackberry Bold 9000 as my all in one, mini labtop device. Keep a sony ericsson C905 on hand as backup and digi cam. It has 8.1 mp camera on board.

The phone to look out for: Blackberry 9800.

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 11:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Wise Man

You may have had a Rio, as I did too but I can guarantee that the Rio didn't compare with the first iPod. The uI on the iPod was just amazing and really changed the industry. Also the capacity was much greater, as Apple put a laptop HDD in their product, something that was unheard of at the time.

Are there products that are much better today? That's kind of subjective but what isn't subjective, is the fact that Apple turned the page and raised the standard. That goes for almost all of their products, to include computers. Just take a look at all of the "copy-cat" products that come out after Apple breaks the ground.

For instance, the graphical user interface on the PC operating system. Were there PCs before Apple? Sure, but Apple changed the game.

With cell phones, it was the sensitive touch-screen with the genius user interface and the tons of storage space built in. Then the whole "app" craze was started by Apple. Were there cell-phones before the iPhone? Sure, but Apple changed the game.

With the MP3 players, it was storage space, user interface and iTunes. When Rio was offering space in the MB, Apple was offering 20GB and also while you had to navigate Rio's player like a CD player, Apple had a genius UI that let you navigate to any song in the whole 20GB in only a few clicks. Were there portable music players, even MP3 players before the iPod? Sure, but Apple changed the game.

It is pretty much not debated that Apple has pioneered many technologies, mostly in the UI and portability fields. They introduced these products first.

--airspoon

posted on Jul, 17 2010 @ 03:11 AM
link   
I am a MacBook Pro junkie...but I wont buy an ipod or iphone or ipad.

I cant work out what an ipad actually does, so cant see the value. iphone is overhyped and ipods are STILL way overpriced.

The MacBook is so easy to use - I cant live without one.

[edit on 17-7-2010 by stellify]

posted on Jul, 17 2010 @ 03:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dumbass
I won an Iphone, but as every other brand It died within a year.. Well that is the maximum expire date for me on phones..

So now I bopught a different one,A brand that for the third time seems to get 1 and a half year before death. Music is my main focus of the phone, next to some texting and full internet. So mine has got bang and olufsen technology to produce my music.. I am very happy with it.

Apple just seems to crash on me as much as any other brand with same qualities. Accept Graphic design on comp that doesn't need to be communicated with other companies

But in general I prefer Oranges over apples

If it was within a year, you could have just gone into the apple store and they would have given you a replacement for free if they cant fix it on the spot, same with ipods. Ive done it before with ipods, no questions asked, they just look up the serial number to see if the warranty has expired, both times they just gave me like new replacements.

posted on Jul, 17 2010 @ 03:36 AM
link   
Ipods probably close to the worst sound quality on any portable music player I actually feel bad for people who buy into apple if you want a good music player get a Cowon, if you want a good phone get an HTC Desire or the next big HTC Android phone.

I'll never buy an device that's locked down to the extent you can't even switch battery's especially when battery life is as poor as apples. Apples all about lock in and all their apps could be done on any device with a proper browser (with flash) for free.

posted on Jul, 17 2010 @ 09:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by Expat888
3. Limited to apps/content from apple store.
...and web apps. A lot can be done with HTML5 now days...

5. Poor camera quality .
not true

6. Lousy mp3 sound quality.
I'm not sure what you're trying to say here. Their MP3s don't sound any worse than anyone else's MP3s. I mean, ones & zeroes are the same regardless of what device plays them back... Also, iPods can play AAC files (192kbps AACs can come close to the quality of 320kbps VBR MP3s in listening tests…), AIFF (WAV equivalent...uncompressed, different header), and Apple Lossless. If you're simply complaining because they don't play OGG or FLAC, just say so, but there are plenty of formats that the iPod DOES play just fine.

posted on Jul, 17 2010 @ 09:45 AM
link   
ah fella THANK YOU for making this thread,xxaxaaxaxax shame that only you though of it.
i was laughting at crazy of the whole new antena idea,that designer must have been fired.
i heard that they fixed the problem with a patch or something,and replaced phones?
and i remember,before the conference grandpa steve answered one email with something like "deal with it,dont worry"
i am also an ashamed owner of a 32gig itouch which is great for watching cartoons on the toilet,since i dont have wifi at home. its great when you have wifi but 300 euro bought from germany cmon axaxaxa and just when i bought it,theyr releasing the new ipod august,with the better resolution per pixel,thank you steve you piece of SRI$^GBAS

posted on Jul, 17 2010 @ 10:17 AM
link   
I'm trying to find the conspiracy in apple indicating other phones do have the same problem. I think the conspiracy goes way way deeper.!

I do see a conspiracy that this "malfunction" was done on purpose !

This malfunction of the antenna was done on purpose from the order of the higher ups and top shareholders within apple.

It is a type of reverse psychology of sorts.

You see, with the apple Iphone having a HUGE FLAW such as this, everyone is going to hear about it. Everyone is going to get Apple, I phone, and the phones problem burnt into their mind.

Now the next gen Iphone is going to have this problem fixed and subconsciously people are going to think the Iphone is going to seem perfect.

This is all a marketing ploy ! Manufacturing purposeful bad press, to manipulate it into super good press farther down the road.

Apple is in charge of their own press/news. They are anal about this. In charge of their good press and bad press.

If I had a hunch and I was an investor, I would buy some shares right now, because this manufactured manipulation is a strategy to make apple stocks soar in a couple months.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join