It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Biggest military equipment purchases in Canadian history

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 03:31 PM
link   
Why do Canada needs 65 fighter jets? Main features of this aircraft: furtive, super sonic, hover capable, vertical take off. Canada currently has 80 CF-18 in operational use so basically they are renewing all the fleet.

The contract, one of the biggest military equipment purchases in Canadian history, is worth $9 billion, but the full cost could rise to as much $18 billion once the government signs a maintenance contract.

But the government is fending off criticism that it is making one of the biggest military purchases in Canadian history without a single competing bid.

Read more: www.cbc.ca...

A new war over Arctic sovereignty with Russia? British Columbia to meet a threat from China?

By 2017 unmanned Stealth aircraft will likely be the DOMINANT threat to our airspace in air to air combat as they can maneuver many G's beyond piloted systems. The F-35 is most likely the last manned fighter jet.

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 03:50 PM
link   
This money is wasted twice: Firstly everyone but China is in tough economic times so the money probably shouldn’t be spent, now. Secondly if you’re going to buy 65 fighters, then they should be providing jobs in an industrial country like Canada (as opposed to Lockhead Martain Aeronautics, an almost entirely American based company en.wikipedia.org...).
That will be doing the F35 assembly en.wikipedia.org...

The purchase is clearly a waste of 9 billion dollars, so if I were Canadian I would (try) remembering the candidates not to vote for, come next election.

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 04:07 PM
link   
Already posted here:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Please people, use the ATS search function!

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 04:13 PM
link   
These fighter aircraft should last quiet a while; but, they will need maintenance from time to time. Maybe one of the reasons is Department of National Defence (DND) doesn't want to be without too many of them. They want to cover any possible commitment that arise. Secondly it may be that the roles for the Canadian military have increased. Look at the meting of the Northwest Passage.

I don't know. But I'd rather have more than enough not just enough or make do by borrowing from other countries. It may appear to be pricey yet we do not know what other countries are up to. Will there be a war started by N. Korea? China? Russia?

With the world economies the way they are and other countries possibly looking at Canada as free dinner to a starving person, I, for one, am pleased with this purchase. beats the submarines we got and the helicopters we almost bought.

Or perhaps there is an alien threat...

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 04:14 PM
link   
Why?.... I assume so the US can have additional Air Support + they know something we don't, as always.

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 04:22 PM
link   
reply to post by CanadianDream420

Yeah, we are only a distinct society in so many ways...

Most of the time we are the poor cousin.

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 04:30 PM
link   
Hey CD,

That's why they convinced Canada to scrap the Avril Arrow program. Maybe I should put together a post on the Avro? Maybe we work together?

[edit on 16-7-2010 by TortoiseKweek]

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 04:38 PM
link   
reply to post by sc4venger

They are at WAR with Eastasia or Eurasia.

top topics

join