It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

World simmers in hottest year so far

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 17 2010 @ 12:20 PM
link   
reply to post by OzWeatherman

The "global warming debate" aside, do you not believe that on average global temperature has risen?

Or are you saying its hoaxed science to push carbon laws and the "global warming agenda"?

I personally think its true, the facts are laid out. I don't think the people putting the data out are trying to push "global warming hype", but there would certainly be people who used that information in that regards.

posted on Jul, 17 2010 @ 12:35 PM
link   
I remember a few winters ago it was warm. I'd be out in the garden in a T-shirt some days. I'd call that global warming. This year however it's been brass monkey's for months and months, only just warmed up actually. Scotland by the way. Is the ice age on it's way for the northern hemisphere?

posted on Jul, 17 2010 @ 12:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by ThaLoccster

The "global warming debate" aside, do you not believe that on average global temperature has risen?

Or are you saying its hoaxed science to push carbon laws and the "global warming agenda"?

I personally think its true, the facts are laid out. I don't think the people putting the data out are trying to push "global warming hype", but there would certainly be people who used that information in that regards.

I personally think that the average temperature has risen on a global scale. However, that is not to say that the temperature increases are solely to do with man made pollutants. I actually think the earth goes through long term periods of cooling and heating, but unfotunantly there is not enough observational data to prove this, and that also goes for the other side of the argument.

posted on Jul, 17 2010 @ 12:47 PM
link   
Compared to this past winter in Reno...It was a long and cold one. We had snow in June for crying out loud. It was one of the coldest winters on record for the Truckee Meadows.

It's only hit 100 degrees once. Otherwise it's an average summer in Reno.

[edit on 17-7-2010 by projectvxn]

posted on Jul, 17 2010 @ 12:51 PM
link   

Thats pretty much my view.

Its clear that the Earth goes through cycles, we may not be able to understand how the cycles work yet, but I think the evidence to support it is pretty thick.

But I can't conclude that people and our actions haven't contributed to the affects of it, and exacerbated the situation.

For me I try to think of it as a cold. You could consider having a cold a fairly "natural cycle" for your body. Going outside and playing in the snow with a wet towel on would probably only serve to make you more sick.

I personally think that the Earth is going through a natural cycle of warming, but that natural cycle has be aggravated by our actions.

posted on Jul, 17 2010 @ 12:57 PM
link   
In the Northeast United States, it has been very, very hot. It's not unusual to have a hot day here and there, but for weeks, it has been well over 85 degrees (unusual) and topping out at more than 100 degrees. (very, very unusual).

I think it's important to highlight these hot temps. After all, 2,000 RUSSIANS have drowned this summer trying to cool off. (It would be great if they learned how to swim over there).

People with respritatory illnesses (like myself) also suffer in the hot, humid weather.

posted on Jul, 17 2010 @ 01:17 PM
link   
Hmm i would like to know what data this Jay Lawrimore is looking at.
The first half of 1998 was .641 degrees above normal.
The first half of 2010 is .563 degrees above normal.

Here is the data i looked at, the first column where it says globe is the above or below average for each month of the year. vortex.nsstc.uah.edu...

Still the global warming brigade are very good at juggling data.

posted on Jul, 17 2010 @ 02:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Unity_99
The date is on my link. Getting the problem yet?

Yeah, the problem is that data appears to be for East Central Florida.

PUBLIC INFORMATION STATEMENT
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE MELBOURNE FL
654 AM EST WED MAR 3 2010

...THE WINTER SEASON OF 2009-2010 FOR EAST CENTRAL FLORIDA WAS THE
COLDEST ON RECORD IN ALMOST 30 YEARS AND ALSO DISPLAYED WELL ABOVE NORMAL RAINFALL...

dinky-link

[edit on 17-7-2010 by melatonin]

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 12:42 PM
link   
Where I live it usually gets up to about 108 and stays there until around the end of September. It's only hit there once, and it's been in the 80s-90s since. Been pretty nice this year.

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 12:46 PM
link   
hey, we can only talk about global warming during the peak of the winter storms...that way it is easier to dismiss it as a screwy nut-job theory.

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 03:50 PM
link   
reply to post by ThaLoccster

Im in Upstate NY and our weather has been alot warmer this year than normal and we have not had as many storms as we usually do.Even our past few winters have been strange and not dumping alot of snow on us.
www.wktv.com...

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 04:03 PM
link   
So what do we have here?

-A bunch of anecdotal evidence ("It's hot/not hot where I happen to be" -- no bearing whatsoever on global trends).

-Measurements of dubious accuracy and length

-Ideology (either pro-/anti-global warming) driving responses rather than actual objective science.

I'd say more info and less bias is needed in all directions for both the article and this thread to have any meaning.

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 08:59 PM
link   
So global warming is back on again? What ever happened to "climate change", where extremes are expected or seen? Like some places are "the hottest ever" and other places are "the coldest ever".

This year even though the data says "the hottest year" it isn't everywhere, obviously. Some places are clearly "the coldest year".

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 09:05 PM
link   
reply to post by snowspirit

Of course, that's why it makes sense to use the global data which accounts for local variations.

Thus, even though deniers made a big fuss over certain areas being cold this winter, it was in fact one of the warmest winters on record. Similarly, this year will be pretty close to the warmest on record.

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 09:21 PM
link   
I live in Las Vegas, and I can tell you right now...

IT FEELS LIKE HELL! (not that I have been there or anything).

No but really, its like 110-115 degrees out here, in the shade.

So its probably like a 125+ out.

It feels like its 130 out.

So I can buy into the fact that the globe is firing hot right now.

I have to go out and spray my dogs with water a couple times a day, as well as spraying down the ground for them, because you can literally fry an egg on the concrete.

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 04:27 PM
link   
Kinda funny because there were abunch of folks saying this was BS...

NASA projects 2010 will (likely) be the hottest year
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Credit where credit is due.

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 04:48 PM
link   

22 updates 11/07/2010 Heat Wave HT-20100711-26913-MLC MultiCountries Unknow

Situation Update No. 22 On 18.07.2010 at 03:42 GMT+2

Officials in Russia have declared a state of emergency in 19 regions, in response to an unprecedented heat wave sweeping the country. Authorities are monitoring power plants in a number of areas, amid concerns the equipment may over-heat. Fire crews have also been kept busy, with a number of outbreaks sparked amid the high temperature.

Situation Update No. 21
On 17.07.2010 at 13:10 GMT+2

Doctors in Finland are advising people to avoid dehydration as temperatures hit record highs in the Nordic country. As the heatwave currently cooking Europe shows little sign of easing up, health officials in Finland are reminding residents to drink at least one and a half times more water than usual. Puumala in southern Savo recorded the country’s highest summer temperature in 50 years last week, 33.7 °C, while the mercury reached 33.2 degrees in Lammi near Hameelinna. The country’s all-time highest temperature of 35.9°C dates back to 1914. The Finnish Meteorological Institute predicts that the scorching heat will continue for at least the next week, if not beyond, with temperatures of over 25 degrees forecast as far north as Oulu. Health workers have warned that young children and the elderly are at particular risk of dehydration, and that those involved in exercise or strenuous labour should always have water nearby. “Usually keeping up with one’s natural thirst is adequate if not engaging in particularly heavy physical activity,” said senior physician Veli-Pekka Harjola of the Helsinki University Central Hospital in a report by YLE. Harjola advised, however, that at least one glass of water should be consumed every fifteen minutes when exercising in the heat. He added that light coloured urine in the morning indicates that you drank an adequate amount during the previous day. Southern Finland was also issued with a warning about strong ultraviolet radiation and had a UV index of 6 on Tuesday. Parents with small children have been advised to keep them out of the sun whenever possible.

Situation Update No. 20
On 17.07.2010 at 03:14 GMT+2

Tuesday will be more like phewsday next week with forecasters predicting temperatures may hit 93°F (34°C). The Met Office said London, the South East and the East will swelter from Monday onwards, with Tuesday tipped to be the hottest day of the year so far. The forecast comes as world weather experts revealed last month was the the hottest June ever recorded. The Met Office's Barry Gromett said next week was destined to be a scorcher - so get your sunblock ready. He said: "It is unsettled now but the weather will settle down again nicely next week for the bulk of England and Wales with temperatures in the late 20°Cs and early 30°Cs. "It will be as hot as the previous heatwave and could be even hotter. "Tuesday could be the hottest day of the year so far and that heat sticks around for Wednesday and Thursday. "The potential is there, although it is an outside chance, that temperatures will go as high as 93°F." Elsewhere across the UK it will be cooler, with temperatures nearer 75°F (24°C) in the North. The hottest UK temperature so far this year is 89F (31.7°C) in Gravesend, Kent, on 9th July. The Met Office is also predicting a "hot and settled" August. The US National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration has declared last month was the hottest June since global records began back in 1880. Figures also show 2010 had the warmest average temperatures ever recorded for the first six months of the year. Liz Bentley, communications director of the Royal Meteorological Society said yesterday: "This is pretty dramatic. In all that time, the world has never experienced a warmer June than the one just gone and it has never experienced a warmer first six months of the year. "In historical terms, these are eye-opening numbers." Last month the Met Office reported the UK had driest first six months of the year for more than 80 years.

Situation Update No. 19
On 17.07.2010 at 03:11 GMT+2

A fierce heatwave across central and eastern Europe is being blamed for the deaths of hundreds of people, severe damage to vast swathes of crops and disruption to road and rail travel. Hungary has issued the highest level of heat alert, urging children and elderly people to stay indoors. It ha started handing out bottles of water to pedestrians and drivers in the capital, Budapest, where temperatures have hovered around 35 degrees Celsius for several days. Hungary has also now reduced the expected size of its agricultural harvest this year due to the intensely hot, dry weather, as have Germany and the Czech Republic. For Romania and Ukraine, the heatwave has come on the heels of heavy rain and severe flooding in some areas

The worst affected country is Russia, where more than 1,200 people drowned in June and almost 500 have drowned so far in July, many in rivers, ponds and reservoirs where swimming is banned, after drinking large amounts of alcohol. “The majority of those drowned were drunk. The children died because adults simply did not look after them,” said Vadim Seryogin of Russia’s emergencies ministry. Earlier this month, six children drowned in the Sea of Azov in southern Russia. Investigators believe the summer camp workers who were looking after them were drunk. Drought has prompted 17 regions across Russia to declare a state of emergency. Nearly 10 million hectares of crops have been ruined – an area about the size of Hungary – causing an estimated €750 million worth of damage to the economy. “This is a big problem, there has been no anomaly like this in our country for decades,” Russian president Dmitry Medvedev said during a visit to a village near the Ukrainian border. “We need to figure out how we can preserve at least some of the crop.”

The heatwave has also played havoc with transport across the region: a major motorway from Prague to Germany had to be closed for several days of repairs, and a Prague airport stopped accepting passenger flights after heat damage to the runway. The air conditioning on one of Germany’s high-speed trains also failed in the soaring temperatures, leaving dozens of passengers suffering from heat exhaustion. The hot spell is being blamed on interaction between an area of low pressure near the UK and high pressure over the Mediterranean, which is sucking hot air from Africa over central and eastern Europe. The weather pattern is expected to last well into next week. From the Baltic to the Black Sea, people have been looking for ways to cool off. In Estonia, churches have been used as “heat shelters” for the elderly, while in the Bulgarian capital Sofia, teenagers have been using Facebook to organise ever-larger water fights in the city’s fountains. Sofia council has now banned all bathing in fountains. The fierce heat has also triggered brief, powerful storms that have killed several people around the region.

Situation Update No. 18
On 16.07.2010 at 18:05 GMT+2

Europe's heatwave has led to melting autobahns, spoilt crops, widespread respiratory problems and record runs on mineral water, beer and ice cream. In Berlin, where temperatures reached 38C (100F), throngs at open-air swimming pools have led authorities to ban long swimming trunks, claiming they soak up too much water. In the city's canals and rivers, fish have been dying due to lack of oxygen. Hundreds of people have had to be rescued from dozens of overheated high-speed German trains in recent days after air conditioning systems broke down. It was discovered they were not designed to cope with temperatures higher than the mid-30s. Meteorologists have put the heatwave down to a zone of low pressure north of the UK and high pressure around the Mediterranean, which has pushed air from Africa across Europe. The conditions are expected to have a devastating effect on agriculture. Wheat crops in Germany were burnt in the heat and strawberries left rotting because they could not be picked fast enough. Farming organisations predicted crop losses they said could cause some food prices to rise by half.

The Iranian cabinet has declared Sunday and Monday as holiday in 19 provinces due to extreme heat. The announcement came as temperature remains above 40 degrees Celsius in 19 provinces. The holiday is intended for the welfare of citizens and saving energy in state institutions and organizations, officials said. The meteorological organization has predicted that temperature will remain over 40 C in 10 provinces until Monday. Hossein Baqeri, the head of the Management Crisis Organization, said there will be emergency meeting if the current heat persists in the country. Baqeri said Iran has experienced temperatures of 40 to 42C in the previous years but they were not continuous.

Twenty-one people sought medical attention last week for heat stroke in Azerbaijan, which has been experiencing high temperatures. Seven of the heat stroke victims are in hospital, Rauf Nagiyev, assistant head doctor at Baku's Central Accident and Emergency Department. Since the start of summer, 67 Baku residents have been diagnosed with heat and sun stroke, Nagiyev said. The sufferers are mostly young people. Temperatures have topped 41 degrees in some parts of Baku and the Absheron Peninsula over the past week, according to Azerbaijan's Meteorology Department. The department forecast temperatures of 36-39 degrees Celsius in Baku and the Absheron Peninsula today, although the temperature in direct sunlight will be higher. Temperatures of 35 to 38 degrees are forecast for 13 July and a slight drop to 33 to 35 degrees for 14 July. Sunday and Monday have been declared non-working days in Iran because of the extreme heat.

hisz.rsoe.hu...

Yep, just local anecdotes, not global warming.

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 04:49 PM
link   
Is green land green yet?
No
Are they growing grapes in Newfoundland yet?
No
Is the continent of Antarctica ice free again yet?
No

www.world-mysteries.com...
(Antarctica map showing no ice 15th Century)

Has Al Gore sold his seaside mansion and moved inland yet?
NO

The Al Gore Poetry Contest
There once was a fellow named Gore,
A sad and insufferable bore.
He turned carbon offsets
Into 8-digit assets
While insisting that you suffer more.

www.smalldeadanimals.com...

Hilarious comments...

Has Danbones learned to spell on the first post yet?
no
[edit on 19-7-2010 by Danbones]

[edit on 19-7-2010 by Danbones]

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 04:55 PM
link   
My local anecdote:

Much greater variability here. We've had extremes at both ends, setting local records for both cold and heat. This has been happening all year, screwing severely with my gardens. We've had a very warm and very cold winter, spring, and summer so far.

This is exactly what you'd expect from global warming: a much higher variability in local temperatures. Whenever someone tries to say that global warming isn't real because their local weather is cooler than normal, they are exposing their ignorance, lack of research, and lack of thought about the issue.

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 04:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by maybereal11
Kinda funny because there were abunch of folks saying this was BS...

NASA projects 2010 will (likely) be the hottest year
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Credit where credit is due.

Originally posted by melatonin
For instance, the last strong El Nino (1998) was associated with ice-storms in Eastern Canada. Globally 1998 was also a very warm year, 2009 will be as well (2nd rank behind 2005), and 2010 is likely to be the warmest in the modern observational record (beating 2005).

[edit on 20-12-2009 by melatonin]
linky

Think it will be close - we are moving into La Nina conditions at the moment, so that should cool things a bit. Time will tell, but 2010 will be close to the record.

[edit on 19-7-2010 by melatonin]

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join